Mac vs PC

This is a discussion on Mac vs PC within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Sorry, yes, I read that but was wondering if anyone else had any info....

View Poll Results: Mac or a PC
Apple 48 57.14%
Microsoft 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 25, 2008, 2:35pm   #22

Joined Jul 2007
Sorry, yes, I read that but was wondering if anyone else had any info.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:01pm   #23
Joined Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
MS Office and the dominance of Exchange for email/scheduling etc within an organization. MS use of closed file formats in Office documents to protect their monoply.

In years gone by, Visual Basic which allowed any idiot to knock together an application that looked like it might work.
dcraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:18pm   #24
Joined Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
If you want some more reasons, try the ineptitude of some MS's competitors eg the Unix wars with the fragmentation of Unix into several different flavours and the lack of any real cooperation amongst Unix vendors to produced a decent desktop to work on top of the fundamentally sound X Window System.

This at a time when OS offerings from microsoft (or Apple) were simply laughable compared to Unix.
dcraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:51pm   #25

Joined Jul 2007
Ah.

I remember X Windows. Was the first GUI I used.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:52am   #26

6 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Last year I decided to purchase a Macbook Pro. I got an extremely nice Apple Student Developer discount which stacked with the student discount from my university.

At first, I was extremely pleased. I've long been a unix/linux user, and having a nice fully supported OS with a freebsd based kernel was very appealing.

Slowly my infatuation faded, and I realized what a terrible product I had purchased. To be honest, my Macbook Pro crashes more than any other computer I've ever owned. The build quality is absolutely horrible and materials are slowly disintegrating / warping. The integrated CD/DVD drive has given out, and can no longer burn anything.

These machines are not meant to last, and I really wish I had purchased a ThinkPad instead.
ATLien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:56pm   #27
Joined Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
Slowly my infatuation faded, and I realized what a terrible product I had purchased. To be honest, my Macbook Pro crashes more than any other computer I've ever owned. The build quality is absolutely horrible and materials are slowly disintegrating / warping. The integrated CD/DVD drive has given out, and can no longer burn anything.

These machines are not meant to last, and I really wish I had purchased a ThinkPad instead.
Sorry, I'm not a mac fanboi, but this is simply not true.

Most likely, if you've had a bad experience with Apple it's just bad luck. They get Monday morning/Friday afternoon machines, just like every other vendor. Build quality on all modern Apple hardware is second to none; far superior to anything in the PC mould, with the possible (equal) exception of something like AlienWare - again, a premium-priced product.

DVD drives regularly pack up on all kinds of machines. Apple are not unique. I regularly replace them.

As for not meant to last ... well, I'm writing this on a wonderfully fast PowerBook G4, 3 years old. Upstairs, I have an old clunker iMac G3; far from fast, but it still runs fine. However, I have done maintenance work on Apples (and ThinkPads, amongst other things) because occasionally there are problems here and there. But please don't go spouting things that aren't true, simply because you've had a slightly bad experience with a product.

For advertising issues ONLY please email advertising (at) trade2win.com
rossored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:54pm   #28

Joined Sep 2003
rossored,

To claim that mac build quality is "far superior" to every PC with the (possible) exception of AlienWare. Interesting.

Don't you think that it fits into the criteria for:
"don't go spouting things that aren't true"

and would risk the spouter self classifying as a:
"mac fanboi"?

Come on here?
nine is offline   Reply With Quote