Mac vs PC

This is a discussion on Mac vs PC within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by gedward3 Im actually looking for a new laptop and asked my neighbour who works in the computer ...

View Poll Results: Mac or a PC
Apple 48 57.14%
Microsoft 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:44am   #8

Joined Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedward3 View Post
Im actually looking for a new laptop and asked my neighbour who works in the computer software side of the industry. He tells me to get a Mac as they can now run a Microsoft operating system as well as the Mac system so you can just switch between the two.
Y'see, I don't get this. This same conversation is going on at another forum I use. The Mac users started getting a bit emotional so I decided not to bother.

If I have a Vauxhall Vectra and can install a Ford Mondeo bodykit and engine... why not get a Ford Mondeo in the first place?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:04pm   #9

Joined Jul 2007
If I bought a Mac Book... might be informative. No idea what they are talking about.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:01pm   #10
BSD

Joined Feb 2006
I'm on a Mac, have been about 2 years now I think, and, boy am I happy !!!

Click the image to open in full size.

I don't know what it is with PC's and me, but they were constantly freezing up, crashing or otherwise totally messing up on me, not being very computer savvy I always had to call up one of those PC Doctor services, and at some point I started thinking that there is something wrong if one knows the phone number of such a service by heart and the girl picking up the phone recognizes you by voice, lol, stuff like that just never happens any more with my Mac, no freezing, no lost data, no nothing.

One doesn't even notice it's there any more practically.

Can totally recommend Apple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
If I have a Vauxhall Vectra and can install a Ford Mondeo bodykit and engine... why not get a Ford Mondeo in the first place?
Ninja, one drawdown to Macs is that some stuff doesn't run on them.

Hence the option to switch between Apples operating system and Microsofts, now everything that you could previously only get to run with a PC can now run on a Mac too.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:07pm   #11
Joined Mar 2007
i have both....

both laptops, the mac is the one i like and the pc is a necessity really due to the fact that the majority of programs particularly trading related ones are made for them.

the pc works well for what it does, i only use it for trading everything else i use the mac.

i tried to use the parallels for mac to enable pc programs to run on it but found it prohibitive and clumsy...plus 2 screens are better than one!

oh and the price difference!...mac Ģ1200 pc Ģ 350.00
brutusdog is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: nine
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:48pm   #12
Joined Dec 2002
100% Mac. Far superior to PC's imo (and I fix PC's for a living).

For advertising issues ONLY please email advertising (at) trade2win.com
rossored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:03pm   #13
Joined Jul 2006
i currently have three macs, one new imac and two ibooks and i love them. never had problems since years. for trading i use windows xp with parallels on the imac, i have metatrader running 24/7 and itīs just perfect.
tornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:05pm   #14
Joined Dec 2007
I started with PCs way back in about 1982 (before Windows!). In those days everything was done from a DOS prompt. So I feel fairly well qualified to answer this question. I still work with PCs every day, but at home... I have a Mac and would NEVER EVER go back to a PC.

A computer professional friend of mine says, "Thank god for Windows PCs - they keep those of us who fix computers for a living in business. If the world ran on Macs we'd be bankrupt in no time!" QED

To me a Mac just does what it's supposed to do and does it well. Here's a small example: With a Windows machine you want to remove a program. You go to the start menu, open 'control box', go to 'add/remove programs' wait for the '...list to populate' then click remove. And then very often you get an error message saying that 'Windows could not remove all of the components' and that the rest will have to be done manually'! How pants is that? With a Mac you just grab the program icon and drag it to the trash - program gone! I could give many other similar examples but I don't want to bore everyone to death.

Regarding viruses - the Mac as I understand it is essentially a UNIX based system (like Linux) and the way the system is constructed means that each element is isolated so that a virus can't spread within a single Mac, never mind to other machines. Maybe someone with a better tech-head than me can explain that properly.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...
gododdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: BSD