Desktop PC or laptop?

This is a discussion on Desktop PC or laptop? within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; I work full time (shift work) and trade/SB from home when I'm off, and looking to get either a new ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:00pm   #1

Joined Jan 2015
Desktop PC or laptop?

I work full time (shift work) and trade/SB from home when I'm off, and looking to get either a new PC, or laptop to use for trading. (Birthday present from the better half). Not after 2 or 4 screens just after something as fast as possible, that I can have a few pages open at once so it doesn't lock up or crash. (I use IG Index and Capital Spreads)

What should i be looking for, spec wise please (I'm a technophobe, and don't fancy a spotty 17 year old chatting my hind legs off down at PC world)

I'm edging towards a laptop, as I do like to move around the house while watching the markets.

Any pointers to what I need?
Cheers
newspreadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:59pm   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by newspreadbetter View Post
. . . I'm edging towards a laptop, as I do like to move around the house while watching the markets.
Hi newspreadbetter,
I'm a technophobe too, so I can't help I'm afraid, but the sentenced quoted caught my eye - hence my post. I have visions of you - well, not actually you as I don't know what you look like - but of someone wandering from room to room to gain a different perspective on the markets. You'll have to keep a record and let us know which room is most profitable for you and which one accounts for most of your losses!

Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Jack o'Clubs
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:20pm   #3
Joined Jan 2015
Personally? I would go for a laptop. With a laptop, you can, with almost ALL newer models, add a monitor to it to have dual monitors (sometimes 2 if you want it).
I use that myself, and have a 23 inch plugged in as we speak. It's very nice
If you want to move around the house, though, why not try one of those laptops that also turns into a tablet?
Check out this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/detacha...vertibles.html
davidcraigson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:07pm   #4
TWI

Joined Jan 2004
I have a 4 screen desktop monster but find a lot of the time I am using a mac book on my lap, wherever I happen to be. Depends very much on what type of trading you are doing.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:27pm   #5

Joined Jan 2015
newspreadbetter started this thread Thanks all, I spread bet and usually hold bets for anything between a few minutes and an hour or 2 depending on how well its doing.

Tim, so far there is no pattern (that I'm aware of), I even placed a bet last week while buying popcorn with the mrs one afternoon going to see American Sniper, and I came out 40 points better off?

most of the time its in the lounge or on the kitchen table though
newspreadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:45pm   #6

Joined Jun 2009
Given your short time trading approach, the less distraction, the better. So I'd favour a fixed desktop so you are perched in front of it, and not making bacon butties in the kitchen !!!

Short term trades of a few minutes upwards etc, ought to be actively managed continually, instep with the market.

Passive trading at that short timeframe sounds like a mismatching principle. ( wrong mental approach to applied method )

Perhaps if you were trading off of one hour closes etc, going walkabout might be doable.

Just my initial thoughts.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:58am   #7
Joined Jan 2009
Just bought myself one of these -

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17...17-5749-laptop

Joined the VIP club for 10% off.

Spec well good enough for spreadbetting platforms. 17 inch screen makes view charts easier.

The touchpad is a little different to the previous models - takes a bit of getting used to.
Ivan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:22pm   #8

Joined Nov 2006
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-YOGA-...pr_product_top