Desktop PC or laptop?

This is a discussion on Desktop PC or laptop? within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by zaysev36 Why is that? In my opinion, any distractions are tolerable for as long as you are ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:52pm   #17
Joined May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaysev36 View Post
Why is that? In my opinion, any distractions are tolerable for as long as you are able to get a glance on charts once in a while. It surely depends on the stock you are trading, that's for sure, but for most parts this will be enough.
Why not do it? It sets the tone for trading and is simple to do. My reasoning is that if you as the trader want to be in control then this is the starting block. You create an account called trading, you login and set password , you start your trading platform, you check your trading plan and data recording then you can start trading. If you like you can add your email platform even a news channel but make it restricted to trading. Think about it: If you are setting up on a volatile currency and your trading plan says you will enter at 1.xxxx , do you really want to get bombarded with the latest Ebay notification or Amazon deal? I know I wouldn't.
Tytus_Barnowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:30pm   #18
Joined Jul 2008
Desktop all the way for me, along with my pad for on the road. I recently purchased a 34 inch monitor and it's a pleasure working on it
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:04am   #19

Joined Feb 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus_Barnowl View Post
Why not do it? It sets the tone for trading and is simple to do. My reasoning is that if you as the trader want to be in control then this is the starting block. You create an account called trading, you login and set password , you start your trading platform, you check your trading plan and data recording then you can start trading. If you like you can add your email platform even a news channel but make it restricted to trading. Think about it: If you are setting up on a volatile currency and your trading plan says you will enter at 1.xxxx , do you really want to get bombarded with the latest Ebay notification or Amazon deal? I know I wouldn't.
Yeah, I agree that removing unnecessary distractions such as news or TV series is important and recommended. What I wanted to say in my post is you should not be afraid of distractions in general. So if you have kids or you have to do some housework or something it's ok for as long as you can take a look on your account and charts from time to time.
zaysev36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016, 7:41am   #20

Joined Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtro View Post
I've always traded on a laptop. You don't need multiple monitors to be a good trader. That's like saying you need a F350 to a tow a boat.
i would disagree. i daytrade the qqq's. visibility is most important. i use 2 laptops each connected to a hdtv. i have the qqq's in a 1 min and 5 min bar on one hdtv, and 6 of the qqq's main components in a 1 min bar loaded on the other.
jjames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:26am   #21
Joined May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjames69 View Post
i would disagree. i daytrade the qqq's. visibility is most important. i use 2 laptops each connected to a hdtv. i have the qqq's in a 1 min and 5 min bar on one hdtv, and 6 of the qqq's main components in a 1 min bar loaded on the other.
Why the BFH do you need to use hdtv? Think of the waste of resources. Your proc and memory will be so taken up trying to process graphics that it might ipminge upon you data flow connections.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:15am   #22

Joined Jan 2006
If you go for a laptop and you need more screen estate then you can buy a nice big monitor and plug it into the laptop and it will work fine. Same goes for keyboard and mouse - so start with the laptop (make sure it has an SSD (not HDD - otherwise it'll take an age to boot up) and at least 4GB ram) then if you want a "workstation" you can buy a nice keyboard/mouse and monitor and plug it all into the laptop and use it like a regular desktop PC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend,
inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- G Marx.
Hoggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:11pm   #23
Joined May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggums View Post
If you go for a laptop and you need more screen estate then you can buy a nice big monitor and plug it into the laptop and it will work fine. Same goes for keyboard and mouse - so start with the laptop (make sure it has an SSD (not HDD - otherwise it'll take an age to boot up) and at least 4GB ram) then if you want a "workstation" you can buy a nice keyboard/mouse and monitor and plug it all into the laptop and use it like a regular desktop PC.
Please try to ignore this zoop jorg. Very few efficient laptops have SSD. If its a problum to wait for a bootup wait until you have to endure static markets for a morning. Self discipline is the key. Laptops are dependent upon saving powere resources and this goop shugger wants you to get a nice keyb and mouse to enhance the experience? with usb I feckin don't think sooo. see my earlier post then decide why you want a laptop.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:56pm   #24

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus_Barnowl View Post
Please try to ignore this zoop jorg. Very few efficient laptops have SSD. If its a problum to wait for a bootup wait until you have to endure static markets for a morning. Self discipline is the key. Laptops are dependent upon saving powere resources and this goop shugger wants you to get a nice keyb and mouse to enhance the experience? with usb I feckin don't think sooo. see my earlier post then decide why you want a laptop.
You may not agree with my opinion but that is no reason to resort to such childish insults.

I have been working in the IT industry for over 20 years now so I know a thing or two. Any laptop worth it's salt will have an SSD these days - same goes for a desktop computer. They are far superior in terms of speed, the only reason for installing a physical hard drive these days is because of cost or space requirements, Because they are an electronic device with no moving parts and not a physical one like a spinning hard drive they will use far less battery power. Particularly when you factor in the load times for a hard drive which will typically be 5 - 10 times slower.

I don't understand why you think a usb mouse and keyboard wouldn't improve the experience. A full size keyboard and proper mouse are much easier to use than a trackpad and laptop keyboard. The whole point of doing that would be when you were sat at a desk where you could plug the laptop into power. Plug it into a nice monitor, mouse, keyboard and hey presto you've got a workstation - best of both worlds. If you were sat on the beach or your sofa then obviously you use don't use those items because they'd run your battery down and be cumbersome.

Read the post and learn your facts before spouting off in future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend,
inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- G Marx.
Hoggums is offline   Reply With Quote