Desktop PC or laptop?

This is a discussion on Desktop PC or laptop? within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; I treated myself to the same...I have several computers but wanted one that would mostly used for trading. I decided ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:17pm   #9
Joined Sep 2014
I treated myself to the same...I have several computers but wanted one that would mostly used for trading. I decided to get a gaming laptop...figured that would handle all of the graphics needs I might have for a few years. And ye I will run an extra monitor at my usual station. Kinda nice to be able to spread stuff around.
I chose an AlienWare 17" And I have been very pleased with it.

"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."
Lao Tzu
ACstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015, 1:29pm   #10
Joined Sep 2014
I've always traded on a laptop. You don't need multiple monitors to be a good trader. That's like saying you need a F350 to a tow a boat.
drtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: alexaherself , hhiusa
Old May 26, 2015, 2:46pm   #11
Joined Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtro View Post
You don't need multiple monitors to be a good trader. That's like saying you need a F350 to a tow a boat.
I don't actually know what an "F350" is, but I agree completely with this perspective. I've never had or wanted more than one screen, and can look at only one at a time, myself. I'd rather click on a new window and make it the active one than look to one side or the other.
alexaherself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015, 2:58pm   #12
Joined Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaherself View Post
I don't actually know what an "F350" is, but I agree completely with this perspective. I've never had or wanted more than one screen, and can look at only one at a time, myself. I'd rather click on a new window and make it the active one than look to one side or the other.
You need exercises to increase your peripheral vision

I would agree a bank of say 8 or 10 + screens can confuse and lose meaning until you have spent months living with them - but no two ways about it 2 or 3 or 4 large screens all within say a 3 -5 ft area are far easier to look at then one screen of say 17 -20 inches on a Laptop.

It then depends on whether you multi Intraday trade or just medium / long term and so then you might only take a trade every few days and so multi screens not so valuable.

Horses for courses and what suits you best I suppose

Regards

F
Forexmospherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:45pm   #13
Joined Aug 2015
How about a powerful laptop / tablet hybrid? Several manufacturers have introduced laptops with detachable keyboards! It will prove to be helpful if you have to travel a lot.
techite is offline Newsletter / tip sheet / trading advice vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:42pm   #14

Joined Dec 2014
I want to switch to a modern laptop too, been contemplating it for a while -- but I kind of still very much like my Windows 7 desktop PC.
I recently downgraded from W10 to W7...I just love the look and feel of W7. I like the side gadgets too. and i kind of play older PC games that don't run on 10.
lawrence-lugar is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: zaysev36
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:09pm   #15
Joined May 2013
Whatever you get, try to make sure that you have it set up with a seperate "trader only profile". In days of old I used to have 2 or 3 laptops but now just 1 does the job. When you are trading then that is all that your focus needs to be. If you want to facebook at the same time then get a tablet or whatever, just don't let it interfere with your trading platform.
Tytus_Barnowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:53pm   #16

Joined Feb 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus_Barnowl View Post
Whatever you get, try to make sure that you have it set up with a seperate "trader only profile". In days of old I used to have 2 or 3 laptops but now just 1 does the job. When you are trading then that is all that your focus needs to be. If you want to facebook at the same time then get a tablet or whatever, just don't let it interfere with your trading platform.
Why is that? In my opinion, any distractions are tolerable for as long as you are able to get a glance on charts once in a while. It surely depends on the stock you are trading, that's for sure, but for most parts this will be enough.
zaysev36 is offline   Reply With Quote