Why do my speakers and headphones crackle?

This is a discussion on Why do my speakers and headphones crackle? within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Hi my speakers and headphones connect via minijacks to my motherboard (that has on-board sound). I have good quality speakers ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:20pm   #1
Joined Dec 2002
Question Why do my speakers and headphones crackle?

Hi

my speakers and headphones connect via minijacks to my motherboard (that has on-board sound). I have good quality speakers and headphones, so why do they both crackle when plugged in?

Is this a fault of the motherboard?

Is there a remedy?

Thanks

jtrader.
JTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:04pm   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
It could be a number of things including poor earthing and, as you have already said, motherboard faults.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:15pm   #3

Joined Feb 2005
do you have a soundcard or are the speakers plugging directly onto the board?

crackling is usually sign of a poor connection, either in the jack socket or between the socket itself and whatever its connected to, if motherboard the socket itself may be loose due to a fault or wear and tear. If its a soundcard, again the socket could be coming loose from the board, or the card may not be plugged into the mobo properly. try giving the soundcard a firm shove home
Directional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:13am   #4
Joined Dec 2002
JTrader started this thread Thanks

the sound is onboard, and so part of the motherboard. I'm pretty sure its the motherboard connection at fault, as the speakers and headphone are good quality.....

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:45am   #5

Joined Feb 2005
a cheap workaround might be to get a budget soundcard and plug into that, save you replacing the whole mobo
Directional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:02pm   #6
Joined Dec 2002
JTrader started this thread Thanks Arb,

nice idea. Knowing my look with this type of thing, I'll probably buy a sound card that produces the exact same crackles as the motherboard!
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:17pm   #7
Joined Dec 2002
Smile Re: Why do my speakers and headphones crackle?

JTrader started this thread It may also be the case that the PC's internal wiring might be reponsible for the crackling. Having looked on ebay, a USB KEY SIZE AUDIO SOUND CARD ADAPTOR, might be the easiest solution to this problem.

Thanks

jtrader.

Last edited by jtrader; Jan 28, 2006 at 1:23pm.