Looking for a new email setup

This is a discussion on Looking for a new email setup within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; I've been a somewhat happy user of Eudora Pro for a number of years, but it's getting to the stage ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:12am   #1

Joined Oct 2001
Looking for a new email setup

I've been a somewhat happy user of Eudora Pro for a number of years, but it's getting to the stage that the limitations are outweighting the advantages.

What I want:
A single email database
Accessible by multiple users, using a rich client
Good filtering / agents
Ability for a single client to access multiple accounts
Multiple different clients (or different user interfaces to cope with different skill levels)
Single download from my ISP for multple accounts.
Free / cheap

In a bit more detail.
I have a number of email accounts. I want to be able to download all of those from my ISP / POP3 email providers, in one hit - don't want each user to have to download their own mail

For each user, I want them to be able to view, in one place, all the mail for all the accounts that belong to them. So, for example, I might have accounts zax1@isp1.com, zax2@isp1.com, zax1@isp2.com, zaxzaxzax@ispsRus.com, etc, and my 'other half' might have mrszax@isp3.com, zaxsotherhalf@someisp.co.uk. When I log on, I want to be able to see all of the zax accounts in one place; when the missus logs on, I want her to be able to see all her mail.

I want an 'expert' / knows what I'm doing user interface for my client and a simpler interface for her indoors.

I think what I need is an SMTP server, and some sort of client. I do not want Outlook/Outlook Express as a client - too many viruses targeted at it.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by zzaxx99; Nov 7, 2004 at 4:25pm.
zzaxx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:58am   #2
Joined Aug 2004
Agreed entirely about Outlook/(Express). You might have a look at www.fastmail.fm . I'm not technical enough to know if it will produce everything you need (which might make this post a waste of your time, in which case apologies), but it's certainly very good indeed and not expensive. For each of the last 3 years it's won the "email server of the year award" or something similar in one of the computer magazines.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:00am   #3

Joined Feb 2003
Same, don't know about all the technical stuff but I've recently started using MyWay http://registration.myway.com/primar...mail_redir.jsp
No ads, popups or spam so far....and it's free
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:00pm   #4

Joined Apr 2003
I have been using Pegasus Mail for ages and really like it. It has none of the security issues of Outlook and most of the functionality... www.pmail.com

Stew
theknifemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 8:19pm   #5

Joined Jan 2001
Have a look at Mozilla Thunderbird
http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote