Bloomberg

This is a discussion on Bloomberg within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Can anyone tell me what the Bloomberg Professional system is? I tried contacting them but never heard from them. What ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 26, 2004, 1:27pm   #1
spc

Joined Mar 2004
Bloomberg

Can anyone tell me what the Bloomberg Professional system is? I tried contacting them but never heard from them.

What is it? What does is it supply? How much does it cost? Is it really worth it?

Tks
ps: What computer/specs what you recommend for active trading?
spc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 1:30pm   #2
spc

Joined Mar 2004
Bloomberg Pro System

spc started this thread Can anyone tell me what the Bloomberg Professional system is? I tried contacting them but never heard from them.

What is it? What does is it supply? How much does it cost? Is it really worth it?

Tks
ps: What computer/specs would you recommend for active trading?
Old Oct 26, 2004, 1:59pm   #3

Joined Feb 2004

Last edited by Thirteen; Oct 26, 2004 at 2:05pm.
Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 2:23pm   #4
spc

Joined Mar 2004
Talking Re: Bloomberg

spc started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen
http://about.bloomberg.com/about/pro...nal/index.html

lazy git

no one will get back to you from bloomberg as they wont waste their time with some dupe who doesnt have any initiative - and therefore unlikely have the money to afford their product

anyway - youre better off with reuters

duh! already checked that out, do u see pricing any where??? and by the way tks for wasting your time to reply
Old Nov 6, 2004, 2:10am   #5
Joined Sep 2004
SPC - it's used by the banks and costs thousands. If you trade fixed income products and you're punting SERIOUS money it's worth it, but I'd guess cost is somewhere in the region of £20k p.a. What do you trade? You're almost certainly not going to need 99% of its functionality.

GJ
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:35am   #6
spc

Joined Mar 2004
spc started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaJammer
SPC - it's used by the banks and costs thousands. If you trade fixed income products and you're punting SERIOUS money it's worth it, but I'd guess cost is somewhere in the region of £20k p.a. What do you trade? You're almost certainly not going to need 99% of its functionality.

GJ
Tks Gamma, I trade UK equities, very soon will start US. Cost is usd1700 per month to lease the system+exchange fees. Yeah, not really worth it for me. What about their news service, is it the same that's on TV? I'm getting Proquote as I trade mostly on news and a few basic indicators and level 2. What do u use?
Old Nov 6, 2004, 12:28pm   #7
Joined Sep 2004
I trade fx so no interest in bloomberg. It's really for fixed income portfolio managers who need loads of sophisticated analytics. Their news is good but it's not really what I need. I trade off a CMC spreads account, and use various basic charts for day to day stuff. I've also just started using an amazing system called prorealtime for more advanced stuff and backtesting. I appear to be the only person outside France using this system as anything more than a decent charting package. As soon as I can find a few fellow pioneers writing code for it I may start a sub forum in the systems part of T2W.

If you're trading equities (particularly level II), you're pretty well off in terms of choice of systems. You have to ask yourself what you get for an additional 1700 a month. That would buy you a subscription to 10 lesser services. And I think that if you can get the data into excel in realtime and put a bit of effort into it you can build the analytics you need from scratch. Takes more time but it's character building. :-)