approve/moderate first few posts by new users?

This is a discussion on approve/moderate first few posts by new users? within the T2W Feedback & Announcements forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Hi, I signed up for ET recently, for my first couple of posts the mods/admins needed to approve them before ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:23am   #1

Joined May 2014
approve/moderate first few posts by new users?

Hi,

I signed up for ET recently, for my first couple of posts the mods/admins needed to approve them before they were put live. This would be an *excellent* improvement to the t2w forums to prevent spam users signing up and posting junk links or resurrecting years old posts with spam.

Apologies if its been asked for already, I just saw red mist this morning

cheers
f2calv is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:33am   #2
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
if the mods have time its a good idea ...........also they can see if its a multi nic as well........but those guys seem to be pretty smart .........
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:39am   #3

Joined May 2014
f2calv started this thread ...maybe they can create a new "admin level" and assign it to a bunch of regular/respected posters, and all new accounts need 2 "votes" from these existing users before their post/account is activated?
f2calv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:49am   #4
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Hi f2calv,
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2calv View Post
I signed up for ET recently,
You did WHAT?!!!
This is an outrage and a serious betrayal of your fellow T2W members. On this occasion, your admission is viewed as an act of contrition and a sentence of death by firing squad will be commuted to life imprisonment at T2W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2calv View Post
. . .for my first couple of posts the mods/admins needed to approve them before they were put live. This would be an *excellent* improvement to the t2w forums to prevent spam users signing up and posting junk links or resurrecting years old posts with spam.

Apologies if its been asked for already, I just saw red mist this morning
In principle, this is an excellent idea and gets my full support. The issue will be just how practical it is to implement given how thin on the ground the Mod' team is.

The idea of devolving such powers to regular users is a route that we went down six or seven years ago. In fact, it was the first big project that I implemented when I joined the staff. Sadly, it was a bit of a disaster, so I suspect Sharky won't be overly keen to revisit the experiment. That said, times are different now, so let's see what he and the Mods have to say.

@Sharky @Trader333 @counter_violent - your thoughts?
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: f2calv
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:14am   #5
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
We aleady have the ability to spot multi-nics and we just don't have time to approve all posts made by new members. We also get a fair few who post normally to start with and then post adverts later so they would fall through any initial screening. Many threads / posts already have to be approved by us which is determined by an automated system so it is partially working already. For the rest I know it relies on them being reported and that has been a good way to deal with it in my view.
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:08pm   #6
The Staff are paid members employed by T2W to perform some specific role such as editorial, advertising or technical work.

Joined Nov 2000
We have an automated system in place as Trader333 says, so approval does sometime take place. If spam on the site becomes a bigger problem or we get some extra moderators on the team, perhaps we'd reconsider things and consider requiring approval for all new members. Thanks for the suggestion all the same!
Thanks! The following members like this post: f2calv
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:20pm   #7
Joined Sep 2008
How about eliminating or minimizing the time allowed between reporting posts. Trying to report a few or handful of posts is too aggravating and time consuming.
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:30pm   #8

Joined Jan 2003
I have made a proposal to Sharky about the current spam we are getting and if he agrees then all of it will disappear so hang fire for the moment.
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: wackypete2 , darktone