Very simple trend-following set-up

This is a discussion on Very simple trend-following set-up within the Swing & Position Trading forums, part of the Methods category; Happy to see T2W has offered a refuge for longer term traders – and happy to post up the current ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:10pm   #1
Joined Feb 2002
Very simple trend-following set-up

Happy to see T2W has offered a refuge for longer term traders – and happy to post up the current guidelines I’m using to set up trend-following trades.

I say current guidelines as they may never be perfect and complete – they are profitable but there’s always room to learn and improve.

However, I’m opposed to indicators that generate an additional chart.

My guidelines use only daily and weekly TF candlestick / bar charts, refer to daily EOD unless weekly is stated.

Some of the factors below might seem to replicate each other – but in practice they rotate at different points in the chart’s life cycle – so one of these will change before the others as a strong trend starts to decay, or as a ranging price starts to trend.

Comments below are given with reference to setting up to buy in an uptrend, just reverse the instructions for a short set-up in a downtrend.

1. last Close must be above 200EMA
2. vertical sequence on chart must read, from high to low – price, 50EMA, 100EMA and finally 200EMA
3. swing phase using 3-bar reversal chart must be bullish (i.e. last swing, low or high, is higher than previous)
4. Trend Strength Indicator must score 70 or more (my TSI is total weekly Closes + Highs + Lows above 50EMA in last 33 complete weeks)
5. how many consecutive weekly Closes are above 50EMA, counting back from the most recent? (the more the better)
6. is last full week’s bar completely above 50EMA? (caution if it straddles it or is completely below)
7. how many adjacent weekly bars overlap the last full week’s range? (caution if more than 3)

Once targets are graded using the above guidelines, entry is at EOD (London). The entry day can be selected using a variety of TA – I don’t find choice of entry trigger pattern is critical but it must indicate some confirmation of trend and point to a meaningful TA-based stop level.

Handling correlation, risk management, money management etc. are up to the individual. So is choice of market sector – I’m using this approach in forex but delighted to hear how it might work (or fail) elsewhere.

I hope this can be an alternative to day-trading for new traders.

But my main reason for posting would be to hear how this approach might work elsewhere / could be improved. Comments welcome.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Forexmospherian , timsk , paszkman , Fugazsy , Jason101 , Jessi_trader , BSD , wackypete2
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:46pm   #2
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
hey dude ..............good to see you around ...........solid stuff

N
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:12pm   #3

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
...........3. swing phase using 3-bar reversal chart must be bullish (i.e. last swing, low or high, is higher than previous)............
Good stuff, tomo. How do you define a swing high/low?

(deserted the equities, eh )

Cheers

jon
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:43pm   #4
Joined Feb 2002
tomorton started this thread Thanks NVP - (should be nothing controversial in a trend-following set-up.)

Hi jon - I had to get away from trading equities - far too many inputs, news and events unpredictably affecting price behaviour. And maybe too much choice. As for the FTSE100 index, its just schizophrenic.

Forex just has 8 main actors, almost no room for individual personalities amongst them or the supporting cast. Very few surprises. The trends can be like tended ski runs, beautifully smooth.

For a swing high/low, I'm taking almost exactly Marc Rivalland's definitions, so a swing low would be a day with a lower daily low, in a series of at least 3 such days: confirmed when followed by a day with a higher high and higher low, hopefully leading to a swing high which would itself be at least 3 such days subsequent. I know you're familiar with this but I've attached a little image to illustrate.
Attached Thumbnails
tutorial_36g-1-.gif  
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:56pm   #5

Joined Nov 2001
Excellent longer term trading analysis

This guy should be invited to join this thread. Great info. on trend analysis for longer term trading.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/tech...lysis-109.html

Maybe one of the Mods. would invite him to join ?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:21pm   #6
Joined Nov 2001
I think that I prefer schizophrenic to Swissophrenic. I can't look at FX these days without seeing Swiss cheese with big holes in it.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton , gforce1
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:51pm   #7

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
I think that I prefer schizophrenic to Swissophrenic. I can't look at FX these days without seeing Swiss cheese with big holes in it.
a touch of the Tate & Lyles then. Another 'orrible gap recently to go with the one that turned a few of your hairs grey some years ago. Was T&L wasn't it?
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:59pm   #8
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
This guy should be invited to join this thread. Great info. on trend analysis for longer term trading.

Maybe one of the Mods. would invite him to join ?
Hi neil,
No need to bother the Mods with this. To bring a specific thread to the attention of another member who's not (yet) subscribed to it, just add their username to your post, prefixed with the @ symbol. So, using the member you reference as an example, just type @isatrader - he'll then get e-mail notification.

I agree with your assessment by the way, isatrader's work on trend and contributions to T2W are outstanding.

Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: isatrader , alexaherself