does a swing trader need intra day charts

This is a discussion on does a swing trader need intra day charts within the Swing & Position Trading forums, part of the Methods category; right now I use end of day, holding positions from 1 day to 2 weeks. When I want to enter ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:39am   #1
Joined Nov 2007
does a swing trader need intra day charts

right now I use end of day, holding positions from 1 day to 2 weeks. When I want to enter new positions i cant see the bar for the day yet because its not yet end of day and i feel i could be losing out on information. do i really need intraday charts for position entry purposes at least and any free ones? I use pro realtime for charting....
chibiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:18am   #2
Joined Oct 2013
NinjaTrader is available for free (there is a nominal fee if you want to use it for order execution). It has full featured charting and great third party support. I believe ThinkOrSwim also has a free platform (or used too).

Last edited by OrderFlowDashPro; Mar 15, 2014 at 7:20am.
OrderFlowDashPro is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:36pm   #3
Joined Nov 2007
chibiks started this thread for ninja its only EOD data that is free. need intra day...
chibiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:46pm   #4

Joined Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiks View Post
right now I use end of day, holding positions from 1 day to 2 weeks. When I want to enter new positions i cant see the bar for the day yet because its not yet end of day and i feel i could be losing out on information. do i really need intraday charts for position entry purposes at least and any free ones? I use pro realtime for charting....
why not look at something delayed? if you are holding for a few weeks, 15-20minutes delayed intraday could be just as good for timing entries where a precise entry isn't necessarily required
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:02am   #5
Joined Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaguti View Post
why not look at something delayed? if you are holding for a few weeks, 15-20minutes delayed intraday could be just as good for timing entries where a precise entry isn't necessarily required
Maybe chibiks cares about pip?! We don't know actually..
gerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:52am   #6

Joined Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiks View Post
Maybe 8hr and 4hr charts only. You could use the EOD Ninjatrader or a custom charts on Mt4
Giovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:23am   #7
Joined Oct 2014
If you are holding trades from 1 day to 2 weeks you might be able to get away with EOD data especially if your trigger is based off that chart. By looking at intra day charts you might be able to refine your entry and execute trades for a better price. If that is the case than using intra day charts would be a sound investment.
VeerTrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:34pm   #8
Joined Mar 2015
What I have been doing is using intraday H/L data to form a standard deviation percentile adding it or subtracting it from the average price to find a predictable h/l range for tomorrow.

Adding in some recent trend data over the same period and I can general find tops/bottoms of trends w/ a likely h/l range attached.

That said I tend to download price historys from yahoo and use that as a data field to build trend data/STD-D ranges and simply add in current data as it comes in through the market either from yahoo or my trading platform if Im not at work.
5%Luck is offline   Reply With Quote