Swing and Position Trading

This is a discussion on Swing and Position Trading within the Swing & Position Trading forums, part of the Methods category; Hello fellow traders, I'm just on the look out for some fellow swing and position traders who use these boards. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:10pm   #1

Joined Nov 2003
Swing and Position Trading

Hello fellow traders, I'm just on the look out for some fellow swing and position traders who use these boards. Hoping to start a lively thread where we can exchange ideas and views on US and UK stocks to swing trade. My trades normaly last a few weeks and i concentrate on just UK stocks at the moment. Im a big fan of Elders work on trading and have been following the market day by day for about 2 years now. After surviving my first year of trading, and by survive i mean i still have capital left to trade with! I'm looking to progress and one thing thats holding me back is probably timing as sometimes my losses are bigger than my winners. Prehaps i could post a chart of a stock up and we could all exchange views on it and then see how it pans out and hopefully we'll learn along the way. If anyones interested then just reply, thanks for your time.
techst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: silviaic
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:31pm   #2
Joined Feb 2003
Hi there techst@ - I also ''position'' trade but mainly stick to anything other than shares.

I am a very big fan of Alex Elder. Not so much his precise set-ups but the common sense way in which he approaches trading especially from a mind-set and money management pov.

Also Linda Bradford Raschke and her book Streetsmarts has been a big influence.

I bought Marc Rivallands book and thought it was very well written but for some reason I couldn't get on with his style of trading.

I agree that swing/position type trading gets far too little attention on these boards. Surely most of us aren't able to sit in front of a monitor day trading?? Not sure I'd want to really.

What sort of set-ups do you look for?

Cheers F
fastnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:33pm   #3
Joined Apr 2003
Hi techst@,

I would be interested in following a thread like this. I'm trading the DOW, capturing swings across a few time frames and it would be useful to broaden knowledge across individual stocks, US/UK or both. Looking forward to the discussion...do you have a favourite UK stock?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:44pm   #4
Joined Feb 2003
ChowClown - I'd be interested to know whether you have any opinion about cj12's Dow swing trading system published on another thread late last week? Did you see it? I'd attach a link but am not sure how.

Cheers
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:47pm   #5

Joined May 2003
I'm interested too! Unlike fastnet I get on alright with a Rivalland type approach using UK stocks and ftse index.
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:30pm   #6
Joined Apr 2003
I did, fastnet. I was interested because I've been trading "123 reversals" through FX (Cable and EUR/USD) for a while and cj12s' system looks similar and has useful entry/exit conditions. I tend to use macd divergence for exits, so it will be interesting to couple them up to see if this can improve exits.

If Fridays' low holds (daily chart) then I see a DOW 123 long with a target of 10329. But the 123 short (from the Sept 7th high) gives a target of 9885 I tend to use on-balance-volume as a filter, along with slow stoch (39,1,1), for longer term plays. OBV(30) broke through the signal line on friday for the first time since this latest leg down from the Sept highs. Slow stoch has now crossed below 50....this is usually a good indication of a southerly longer term move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnet
ChowClown - I'd be interested to know whether you have any opinion about cj12's Dow swing trading system published on another thread late last week? Did you see it? I'd attach a link but am not sure how.

Cheers
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:34pm   #7

Joined Nov 2003
techst started this thread Thanks guys! lets get started. Setup up wise i look for trending stocks check their weekly long term position and then daily, i dont really have definition of what im looking for but i know when i see an oppurtunity. Im just looking for value areas when i enter. I make sure theres enough room for me to trade so I'm normally attracted to stocks that have a 10% + swing in their price.
As for favorite stocks TSCO hasn't let me down yet, touch wood. And HG has a really nice tradeable trend (see attach.) What do you guys think of these two stocks BLND and HG?
Attached Thumbnails
hg.gif   blnd.gif  
techst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:03pm   #8
Joined Feb 2003
Classic Elder. . . . love it.

Removes a lot of the stress if you know exactly what you are looking for in order to trade. Good luck. I don't trade stocks simply because I have never found an efficient way of doing it and also found plenty of decent set-up on FX, metals, indexs etc with smaller spreads. These both look ripe for a safe entry.

ChowClown - a lot to think about there, thanks. I will and let you know.