Swing and Position Trading

This is a discussion on Swing and Position Trading within the Swing & Position Trading forums, part of the Methods category; These two stocks are looking great at the moment. It looks like the recent downtrends are running out of steam. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:11pm   #25

Joined Nov 2003
CW and BAY

techst started this thread These two stocks are looking great at the moment. It looks like the recent downtrends are running out of steam. The chart shows the strength of the MACD Divergence on both charts. If im not mistaken the weekly MACD's and Histograms are in gear too. Confirming as Elder says ' a more dynamic move'. I dont currently have positions in these stocks but im seriously considering these. And in prehaps a day or two i'll pull the trigger. Any thoughts people? I might even turn these two into a live and up dated 'anatomy of a trade' if i get any interest. Hopefully some viewers will come out of the woodwork and discuss there views on these.
Attached Thumbnails
bay.gif   cw.gif  
techst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:54pm   #26
Joined Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by techst@
These two stocks are looking great at the moment. It looks like the recent downtrends are running out of steam. The chart shows the strength of the MACD Divergence on both charts. If im not mistaken the weekly MACD's and Histograms are in gear too. Confirming as Elder says ' a more dynamic move'. I dont currently have positions in these stocks but im seriously considering these. And in prehaps a day or two i'll pull the trigger. Any thoughts people? I might even turn these two into a live and up dated 'anatomy of a trade' if i get any interest. Hopefully some viewers will come out of the woodwork and discuss there views on these.
Emerging carefully from the woodwork and with the usual caveats I venture the following.

I am not a devotee of indicators so I cannot comment on the MACD'S etc. My interest is price/volume in which I am slowly gaining more knowledge.

I have looked at the charts for both of these companies (British Airways and Cable & Wireless) and am struck by their similarities. Lower lows and lower highs both appear to have found support BAY at 200 & CW at 100. Appear is the operative word. I am not convinced that the support will hold. I would want to see them moving up on reasonable volume before I purchased.
A look at the 2 year charts for these companies illustrates the levels they can fall to.

I look forward to reading other views

Regards

bracke
bracke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:58pm   #27
Joined Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by techst@
These two stocks are looking great at the moment. It looks like the recent downtrends are running out of steam. The chart shows the strength of the MACD Divergence on both charts. If im not mistaken the weekly MACD's and Histograms are in gear too. Confirming as Elder says ' a more dynamic move'. I dont currently have positions in these stocks but im seriously considering these. And in prehaps a day or two i'll pull the trigger. Any thoughts people? I might even turn these two into a live and up dated 'anatomy of a trade' if i get any interest. Hopefully some viewers will come out of the woodwork and discuss there views on these.
looking good - maybe a retest of the TL from above before they finally rally. Didnīt like the last candle (BAY) so no hurry I guess. Otherwise they should have found their bottoms.
maxpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 3:52pm   #28

Joined Nov 2003
CW and BAY

techst started this thread Just updating this thread with the current unfoldings of the two charts i posted. I've been in and out of BAY. I got in at a terrible price as i traded by phone mid-day and didnt have the use of a chart for the days candlestick. I then exited at 27.25 making a 5% profit, or 50% profit but that depends how you look at it with the CFD leverage. I was trading other stocks and aswell and i may have been over exposed if i'd added another position in CW, damn money management! I'll post some other great moves that may unfold in the near future, if theres an interest. Some might fell that its not a great idea to show others your setup and strategy but i think whats more important is the way you handle your own stragegy. any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
big.gif   cw.gif  
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:19pm   #29
Joined Feb 2003
My greatest concern about swing trading individual shares is the relative lack of volatility and the huge spreads quotes by SB cos. You're using CFDs so maybe this is not such an issue. If you are still trading using (Elder) type methods then then should be manu similarities in our styles - I would be interested to see posts describing your trades should you be good enough to post 'em.

Cheers

FN
fastnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:35pm   #30

Joined Nov 2003
techst started this thread Fastnet, i got in BAY on the 28/10/04 (see the graph style chart above). And was out 5/11/04 and out at 227.5 which was the high for the day. I was lucky enough to have the evening free to watch the intraday action to time my exit well. I make sure the stocks i trade have a minimum of 8 to 10% swing in there price move, from channel to channel. I do take into account that I'm not gonna get in at the very bottom and out get out at the highest price in the channel, that would be wishful thinking. Some people wonder why the trades that they dont put on do well, but i know thats coz im looking at where i would have like to of got in and where the perfect sell point was. I dont see the huge spreads you mentioned as the company i use try to match the market. I like mainly FTSE100 companies coz there liquid.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 5:32am   #31

1 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Hi Folks,

This is my first post as a newb on the swing trading scene. Im wondering if you guys can share any systems or TA techniques you find work well?. Im thinking of using a combo of S/R levels, MACD and CCI. Any thoughts?

Also any chance of posting potential trades and the reasons why, regularly?

Cheers

P.S. being a newb sucks
jayzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:15pm   #32

Joined Nov 2003
techst started this thread Im a massive fan of Dr. Elder read his books Trading for a Living and Come into my Trading Room first and see what ideas you can come up with. There's so much to learn in those pages and so much wisdom.