Swing and Position Trading

This is a discussion on Swing and Position Trading within the Swing & Position Trading forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by techst@ .... And HG has a really nice tradeable trend (see attach.) What do you guys think ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 12, 2004, 7:04pm   #17

Joined Sep 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by techst@
.... And HG has a really nice tradeable trend (see attach.) What do you guys think of these two stocks BLND and HG?
Hi techst,

I EOD trade FTSE 350 stocks mainly using Elliott Wave analysis (or at least some form of it). I went long today on HG because it seems that we're at the end of an abc correction of the uptrend. I've attached a chart. (well, I hope I have - it's the first time I've tried to post a chart !)

I'd be interested to hear any comments.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
hg121004.jpg  

Last edited by ivorm; Oct 12, 2004 at 7:08pm. Reason: Wanted to attach a better chart
ivorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:39pm   #18

Joined Nov 2003
Hg

techst started this thread For me, i look to buy within that circle on my chart. 270 looks like strong support, but the move up could run out of steam soon. Its funny that times when i look back and find a stock with a great uptrend by the time its established a good trend, its time for it to head south. Theres some MACD Divergence on my settiings but that may not stop you from catching an upward move. But when that moves over then this one may see a good retracement
Attached Thumbnails
hg1.gif  
techst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 7:50am   #19
Joined Apr 2004
Hi, I too am interested in Swing Trading, and am about to start trading with the Marc Rivalland approach on the DOW and perhaps the FTSE. One problem I have come across though is inconsistencies with some of the charts available on the Web. I was using www.bigcharts.com, but then I noticed that the highs and lows shown by their candlestickes were wider than the quoted highs and lows for those days!! Does anyone have an explanation, or a better source of charts!!
Second income trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 8:25am   #20

Joined Dec 2001
You cannot trade on charts of indices. You need to follow the futures charts as that is all you can trade in reality.

It should also be pointed out that volatility is less since Marc published his book. The FTSE has been virtually untradeable for over a year and the Dow might not be as easy now as the book suggests...

That said I do rate the book and see him as a genuine chap.

Bigcharts calculates the highs and lows based on the low price and high price of every stock during the day despite the fact they don't occur at the same time.

That is why the high is always higher than reality and visa versa.

The cleanest data is available from www.downloadquotes.com

JonnyT
Old Oct 22, 2004, 8:31am   #21
Joined Dec 2003
JT,
knowing your methods this might be an academic question ,but have you tested that data to form that view "cleanest" ? .. . ..thanks for the link
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:07pm   #22
Joined Apr 2004
Thanks Jonny. I take your point re. volatility, is that why Forex seems so popular to trade? Is Forex amenable to Swing Trading using Marcs approach as well?

Cheers, Paul.
Second income trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:34pm   #23
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyT
The FTSE has been virtually untradeable for over a year and the Dow might not be as easy now as the book suggests...
Having been trading indices for the last 4 years, I must say that I'm inclined to agree with Jonny about this, albeit that I don't quite match his succinct and forceful turn of phrase ... the FTSE has certainly been "difficult" for the last year or so, and the Dow is certainly not as easy as the book suggests. I'm increasingly looking to the Dax and the S&P, but also trying to learn new tricks and broaden my trading interests.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 2:30pm   #24

Joined Nov 2003
Hg

techst started this thread Lets have a little up date on that chart. Any comments guys? Where did that ABC correction go ivorm?
Attached Images

Last edited by techst; Oct 24, 2004 at 3:11pm.
techst is offline   Reply With Quote