Trading overnight gappers and early range breakouts

This is a discussion on Trading overnight gappers and early range breakouts within the Stocks forums, part of the Markets category; Does anyone else here focus on trading stocks that have gapped overnight? I trade the first 20min/30min range breakouts and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:52am   #1
Joined Jun 2007
Trading overnight gappers and early range breakouts

Does anyone else here focus on trading stocks that have gapped overnight? I trade the first 20min/30min range breakouts and gap fillers and reversals. From Pre-market analysis I'll have 10 to 15 stocks that have gapped up or down which have good volume, price between 20 and 80 and are movers. Most won't trend, maybe 3 or 4 do, wait for my patterns, in and out within 20 mins max. By 11.30 max am wrapped up for the day, lots of time to do more interesting things.

If there are others out there who trade the same it would be nice to compare daily stock selections and trades.
chartgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:52pm   #2
Joined May 2007
I've been trading the gappers/open recently, I'll post my list monday morning to see if we agree.
Axler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 4:31pm   #3
Joined Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartgonzo View Post
Does anyone else here focus on trading stocks that have gapped overnight? I trade the first 20min/30min range breakouts and gap fillers and reversals. From Pre-market analysis I'll have 10 to 15 stocks that have gapped up or down which have good volume, price between 20 and 80 and are movers. Most won't trend, maybe 3 or 4 do, wait for my patterns, in and out within 20 mins max. By 11.30 max am wrapped up for the day, lots of time to do more interesting things.

If there are others out there who trade the same it would be nice to compare daily stock selections and trades.
hours suit so heres the question,

Q : where do you get your search list of gapped stocks/ possible trade list from

interested because your method and time suits me and life at moment, can only concentrate on trading 8-12.
Only have access to 2 sb firms at moment, no other software.
black bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:43pm   #4
Joined Jun 2007
Quote:

I trade this style. I dont really aim for the gappers so much as I have had a bit of bad luck with open reversals. I now focus on Early Day Breakouts for 20/30/60 timeframes. I would be very interested in swapping stock picks and discussing how and why you picked them. Also where did you learn this trading style?
BTippen is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:48pm   #5

5 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Although I have just started, the appeal of this kind of strategy had already lured me in. I have a stock screening technique that also appears similar to yours (with the addition of up/downing past a previous high/low) and would be very interested in discussing the nuances of this system with you.
Wallly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:46am   #6
Joined Sep 2003
Quote:

Yep I trade gappers.
I concentrate more on gappers which have gapped outside the previous day's range and similiar to yourself , pick those on good volume etc. You only need a few to trend and you can have a good profitable day.
jitasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:02pm   #7

2 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Quote:

I'm Just a new boy at this but have been trying to trade gappers on the ftse. I can find
web sites that help with finding gaps in US stock, but can't find help with UK. What do you use to do your pre-market analysis?
macinchiathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 2:41pm   #8

5 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I trade Gappers, high volume and swing on belongs to FTSE, DJIA, NASDAQ and S&P 500 companies and all of them profitable. I may help you as I used to trade on US stock and UK stock.

Last edited by Eugene Bullard; Nov 21, 2008 at 3:01pm.
Eugene Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote