Costs of daytrading

This is a discussion on Costs of daytrading within the Stocks forums, part of the Markets category; Hi guys, I would like to ask the more experienced members about the overhead costs of daytrading from home. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:49pm   #1

2 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Costs of daytrading

Hi guys,

I would like to ask the more experienced members about the overhead costs of daytrading from home. I mean how much does it cost you per month to pay for your live quotes, level 2, maybe stock scanner, membership to a chatroom to know where the action is for the day, newsfeed, etc?
I would like to know the costs that one needs to overcome just to breakeven when trading from home.

Thank you.
Manbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:00pm   #2

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbo View Post
Hi guys,

I would like to ask the more experienced members about the overhead costs of daytrading from home. I mean how much does it cost you per month to pay for your live quotes, level 2, maybe stock scanner, membership to a chatroom to know where the action is for the day, newsfeed, etc?
I would like to know the costs that one needs to overcome just to breakeven when trading from home.

Thank you.
Hi there, data should be less than $100 per month, here is the IB example (also lot of news sources with prices inside:

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/e...rket-data-fees

Scanners I design them myself, so no monthly fee and for chat rooms, so far all I have heard of are all scammers and losers, so I would skip that part...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:23am   #3

5 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
My broker charges me 6.95 per trade. Includes scanner, live quotes, level II, chat rooms and an awesome platform.
scullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:20am   #4

2 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Manbo started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by scullen View Post
My broker charges me 6.95 per trade. Includes scanner, live quotes, level II, chat rooms and an awesome platform.
Hi Which broker do you use?
Manbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:22pm   #5

5 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
T.D. Ameritrade. U.S. I don't know if it's a choice for you in the U.K.
scullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:09pm   #6
Joined May 2003
It's not just about price. Interactive brokers might be cheap for example but the history is terrible - intraday history of 2 days. So If you want to backtest, you're not going to get very far.
Also, bear in mind that some of the data vendors might be cheap but their data quality might not be very good and you may get erroneous data.
At the end of the day, it depends on what you are going to use the data for....

Brokerage wise, IB is the best.
iq200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:22pm   #7
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbo View Post
Hi guys,

Thank you.
how much do you want to spend ? ............

and dont forget to plug in the Opportunity costs of earning from other businesses and jobs you are not doing whilst you trade......you are burning lost revenue by the minute

N
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:29pm   #8
Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
how much do you want to spend ? ............

and dont forget to plug in the Opportunity costs of earning from other businesses and jobs you are not doing whilst you trade......you are burning lost revenue by the minute

N
Good point NVP. It really depends on what the OP wants to spend.
My post was in terms of data quality. Well in terms of costs it can cost from free (spread betting/cfd) right up to 1-3K (for retail direct access brokerage platform fees, data feed+L2/quotes + scanner). IB will be on the lower end of the scale.
On the other hand there is no upper limit as you can go crazy and pay for a Bloomberg terminal, server colocation etc etc...
iq200 is offline   Reply With Quote