Spread betting at FXCM

This is a discussion on Spread betting at FXCM within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; Wanted to see if anyone has tried FXCM's spread betting platform since it was launched in March. Learn about Forex ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:26pm   #1
 
Jason Rogers's Avatar
Joined Jun 2009
Spread betting at FXCM

Wanted to see if anyone has tried FXCM's spread betting platform since it was launched in March. Learn about Forex Spread Betting at FXCM Any feedback on the platform or trading execution? Would love to hear any pros/cons about your experiences.

Cheers,

Jason
Jason Rogers is offline Broker   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:45pm   #2
 
1 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
Wanted to see if anyone has tried FXCM's spread betting platform since it was launched in March. Learn about Forex Spread Betting at FXCM Any feedback on the platform or trading execution? Would love to hear any pros/cons about your experiences.

Cheers,

Jason
Hi Jason,
I've been looking at FXCM with a view to moving from IG and they look gr8 with a lot of back up stuff to browse. There are so many Spread Betting accounts available but this one's Currency specific which is my main area of interest. I'm going to start a Demo Acct with them and I'll keep you posted. Let me know how you get on...
All the best,
sk8fx
sk8fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:30pm   #3
 
Jason Rogers's Avatar
Joined Jun 2009
Jason Rogers started this thread Hi sk8fx,

Thanks and let me know how it goes.

Couple of big differences from traditional spread betting firms is that there are no re-quotes. All of the spread bets are hedged real-time with a major bank of financial institution. And there is a no debit balance policy. I've heard a lot of horror stories over the past year of traders owing large amounts to their brokers for trades that moved massively against them.

-Jason

Some of the big differences between the traditional spread betters is that the FXCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8fx View Post
Hi Jason,
I've been looking at FXCM with a view to moving from IG and they look gr8 with a lot of back up stuff to browse. There are so many Spread Betting accounts available but this one's Currency specific which is my main area of interest. I'm going to start a Demo Acct with them and I'll keep you posted. Let me know how you get on...
All the best,
sk8fx
Jason Rogers is offline Broker   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:47pm   #4
Joined Jul 2004
"FXCM UK offers Spread Betting exclusively to UK Residents. Residents of other countries are NOT eligible"

I wonder why?
kalott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:01am   #5
Joined Jun 2003
Because different countries have different gambling laws. Remember the issue with UK poker sites targeting US punters?? Also, spreadbetting has a tax exemption only in the UK - I know of no other country where this is the case.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 3:05pm   #6
 
Jason Rogers's Avatar
Joined Jun 2009
Jason Rogers started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Because different countries have different gambling laws. Remember the issue with UK poker sites targeting US punters?? Also, spreadbetting has a tax exemption only in the UK - I know of no other country where this is the case.
Rainmaker is exactly correct. We offer spread betting only to UK residents because spread betting is exempt from UK taxes.

The spread betting product is the same thing as our regular spot forex trading product, it's just classified as "spread betting" so that our UK clients can have the tax exemption.

There wouldn't be any reason for a non-UK resident to open a spread betting account since you're not reporting your income and capital gains to the UK tax authority.

If you want tax free forex trading there are 2 options: move to the UK or suggest to your national government to adopt the same tax exemption policy.
Jason Rogers is offline Broker   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:13pm   #7
Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
Rainmaker is exactly correct. We offer spread betting only to UK residents because spread betting is exempt from UK taxes.

The spread betting product is the same thing as our regular spot forex trading product, it's just classified as "spread betting" so that our UK clients can have the tax exemption.

There wouldn't be any reason for a non-UK resident to open a spread betting account since you're not reporting your income and capital gains to the UK tax authority.

If you want tax free forex trading there are 2 options: move to the UK or suggest to your national government to adopt the same tax exemption policy.
Great to have a representative of FXCM present on this Forum.

Spread betting is still in most European countries considered to be tax free. What is the difference between the Forex brokers (non ECN) and SB? They are both market makers as I see it. You say you hedge all your bets. Do you by this mean every single one, or just what is not balanced out in the book? Please correct me if I've missed out on something here. No re-quotes, what about "price no longer valid", news trading or being referred to a dealer?

I don't think one has to move to the UK (even though I like the country), many SB are offering good spread on FX.
gle101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:39pm   #8
 
Claudia123's Avatar
Joined Nov 2008
Jason- what can FXCM do for me that IG can't. I spread bet 5 days a week. Are your spreads better. are your fills quicker, charting package, platform reliabilty etc.

I don't want a demo before you say it - just honest answers. Is FXCM better than IG.
Claudia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Kiwikurt
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:02pm   #9
Joined Jan 2006
Hi Claudia123, there was a member on some other thread that told me that spread betting was taxable in Germany. I was puzzled by his statement. Please could you confirm if this is the case.
gle101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:09pm   #10
 
Claudia123's Avatar
Joined Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gle101 View Post
Hi Claudia123, there was a member on some other thread that told me that spread betting was taxable in Germany. I was puzzled by his statement. Please could you confirm if this is the case.
Hi

I been living in uk for a year or so now. Believe it is taxable throughout mainland Europe but not 100% sure.
Claudia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:23pm   #11
Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia123 View Post
Hi

I been living in uk for a year or so now. Believe it is taxable throughout mainland Europe but not 100% sure.
Thanks. In Sweden it is not, at least not yet. I am quite certain it is the other way around, almost every country in Europe consider financial SB to be tax free. However, I am quite sure this will taxable in the years to come. If anybody else could fill me in on this, it would be welcomed.
gle101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:05pm   #12
Joined Jun 2004
ETX seem a bit shy about quoting spreads, apart from saying they're some of the tightest. Do they do 1pt on main European indices, 2 on Dow, etc, like the competition?
Phil Mibbutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:33pm   #13
 
jiggly's Avatar
Joined Mar 2005
FXCM are very good, as a company, I had a mini account with them many years back, eventually this had a balance that was lower than the fransfer fee and not high enough to cover margin requirements to open a position.

FXCM transfered it back to my bank account, free of charge.

I had no problems with their trading platform, the service, or their spreads, which are were very competitive at the time.

they are also a very highly capitalised broker.

I would recommend them.
__________________
Forex is risky and many investors cant trade for sh*t

Last edited by jiggly; Jun 28, 2009 at 5:40pm.
jiggly is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:41pm   #14
 
jiggly's Avatar
Joined Mar 2005
what is the minimum bet per point spread betting on this platform?
__________________
Forex is risky and many investors cant trade for sh*t
jiggly is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:09pm   #15
 
Jason Rogers's Avatar
Joined Jun 2009
Jason Rogers started this thread Hi gle101,

Happy to be here. Brokers and spread betting firms offer the same product, forex trading, but there are two methods of execution: market maker and direct market access (no dealing desk, straight through processing).

The majority of spread betting firms are market makers. They take the other side of all positions thereby profiting when you lose, and losing when you profit. This is a conflict of interest because it is in your brokerís best interest for you to lose money. Since a market maker can profit if the market moves against you, it is also common to get referred to a dealer when the price is unfavorable to the market maker. A good example of this is news trading.

With FXCM, every single order is sent directly to one of the 9 banks quoting on our system. As a result, FXCM does not profit when you lose money on a trade. Rather, we are compensated by marking up the price we receive from the bank. Thus, FXCM is strictly concerned with volume. Because of this there are no restrictions on trading styles or strategies such as scalping or news trading. There are no re-quotes.

-Jason


Quote:
Originally Posted by gle101 View Post
Great to have a representative of FXCM present on this Forum.

Spread betting is still in most European countries considered to be tax free. What is the difference between the Forex brokers (non ECN) and SB? They are both market makers as I see it. You say you hedge all your bets. Do you by this mean every single one, or just what is not balanced out in the book? Please correct me if I've missed out on something here. No re-quotes, what about "price no longer valid", news trading or being referred to a dealer?

I don't think one has to move to the UK (even though I like the country), many SB are offering good spread on FX.
Jason Rogers is offline Broker   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spread Free Spread Betting mikeyk Spread Betting & CFDs 15 Apr 14, 2015 3:12pm
Spread betting Blue Hornet Spread Betting & CFDs 4 Feb 26, 2012 9:43pm
Spread Betting d-bansal Spread Betting & CFDs 1 Nov 17, 2006 4:15pm
Spread betting Edinburgh Bear Spread Betting & CFDs 12 Jun 3, 2005 6:44pm
Spread Betting neil Technical Analysis 0 Jan 18, 2002 12:30am

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)