Percentage of Winning Traders - The real numbers

This is a discussion on Percentage of Winning Traders - The real numbers within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by peakoil @ FillorKill, Hi there, I see you wrote this: " Presumably nobody trades over 100:1 here ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:37pm   #9
Joined Feb 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakoil View Post
@ FillorKill, Hi there, I see you wrote this: " Presumably nobody trades over 100:1 here who makes money? Speaking personally I wouldn't even need to change my cash on deposit if FX gets chopped to 50:1."
Welllll you're possibly right I must be confused because indeed it's plenty of text to explain the simplicity of margins and leverage, which don't need to be so delineated as individual concepts from where I stand. My specific example was FX generally trades (for retail) in the UK at 100:1 leverage, that being £1,000 of margin sidelined for one standard lot of exposure to the market.

If they change it to 50:1, I now have to put £2,000 margin down for the same £100,000 clip. Since I trade with about 20 times max cumulative point to point portfolio drawdown using historical volatility standards in my account, I don't need to put any more money down, personally, on deposit with the broker, being my rather throwaway point. Are you saying I have it wrong because yes I would need more margin against deposited monies on my account? That is clearly right, but I would not need any more actual funds deposited for my purposes, which was the point I was trying to make. My further point was people who routinely make real money from the markets are unlikely to care, though I don't doubt there are some outliers, talented newbies maybe. The better point perhaps is that regulation could be a slippery slope or that perhaps I am overcapitalised in my individual account and should be putting money to work elsewhere.

Where do I have it wrong here? Feel free to talk to me as if I were a special child as I've been trading for a long time and if I don't get it I'm happy to be condescended at this juncture.
Fill_Or_Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:08pm   #10
Joined Jul 2008
@fillorkill - I don't mean to be condescending and please accept my apologies If you took it that way. Truth be told, I took your quoted posts purely on face value - not least because I'm unfamiliar with your posts on this forum, so I've little history to go on, nonetheless please accept my response was put accordingly, and without any such slant.

re the belief that you won't need to put more money in your account - the answer to that is relative. For example, if you're a millionaire who's put e.g., £50K into your s/b account and your max bet size is £10pp then it's likely there would be little to concern you. For the majority of people, those with more limited account sizes, it become far more likely (should such changes be introduced), with the less one has to trade, and to maintain the same bet sizes as before, that more money would be needed for both variation margin purposes and to maintain the same r/r ratios.

Hope you can accept this point.

Last edited by peakoil; Mar 3, 2017 at 6:18pm.
peakoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:17pm   #11
Joined Feb 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakoil View Post
@fillorkill - I don't mean to be condescending and please accept my apologies. Truth be told, I took your quoted posts purely on face value - not least because I'm unfamiliar with your posts on this forum, so I've little history to go on, nonetheless please accept my response was put accordingly, and without any such slant.

re the belief that you won't need to put more money in your account - the answer to that is relative. For example, if you're a millionaire who's put e.g., £50K into your s/b account and your max bet size is £10pp then it's likely there would be little to concern you. For the majority of people, those with more limited account sizes, it become far more likely (should such changes be introduced), with the less one has to trade, and to maintain the same bet sizes as before, that more money would be needed for both variation margin purposes and to maintain the same r/r ratios.

Hope you can accept this point.
Yeah I accept it and it was a throwaway comment on my part, but generally I'd only keep small deposits unadjusted for long term volatility with a broker I don't trust to properly escrow client funds. I suppose that is as good a reason as any.
Fill_Or_Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:20am   #12
Joined Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
I am concerned that once government set off down what seems to be the wrong track, unless their strategy is proven horribly wrong they are only likely to continue in the same vein.

We all recognise there are problems with the industry, but looking at the proposals first, rather than the issues, it seems hard to divine what the real problems are. So if this can be headed off in favour of a better solution, though possibly harder to implement and draft legislation for, so much the better. Maybe a small skirmish now rather than a large costly battle later.

Regulation's a two-edged sword. In a previous work role I saw the Dangerous Dogs Act introduced, a total dog's dinner if ever there was one, but whose passing allowed government to sit on their hands for the subsequent years when further problems arose. Now again, its hard to see these current proposals as something new customers need or existing customers want.
Just look at what over regulating has done to the US market.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:49pm   #13
Joined Apr 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason101 View Post
There is an on going perpetual conversation on T2W about the actual percentages of winning traders on FX. This conversation goes on and on and around in circles and never gets anywhere.
This conversation will never get anywhere on forums , traders have to make their own judgement , by doing google search.This will be aided by by your full knowledge of the human brain , it's wiring for trading and behavioural science.Coming to the forums for this answer is like asking the salesman for the faults and weaknesses of their products .

I spent over a thousand hours learning psychology from psychologists Dr A menaker , Dr Steenbarger ,Rande , Mark Douglas ,researcher Robert Sapolsky and many other brain specialsists and psychologists .

If you want the truth , you will have to go the professionals , they have many articles and webinars on youtube.

You are discussing with rebate benefators , who gain everytime you lose.
foroom lluzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:07pm   #14
Joined Feb 2002
You haven't posted a link to one of your own threads. Are you feeling a bit under the weather?
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:14pm   #15
Joined Apr 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
You haven't posted a link to one of your own threads. Are you feeling a bit under the weather?
The purpose of postink links is to avoid repeating the same content , the additional content is on the links , they are usually related to the subject.
foroom lluzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:30pm   #16
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by foroom lluzers View Post
The purpose of postink links is to avoid repeating the same content , the additional content is on the links , they are usually related to the subject.

Yes, alright, I know.

PS: You've done it again.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote