CFD's or Spread Bet

This is a discussion on CFD's or Spread Bet within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by barjon Depends on position size and the spread involved. With minimum commissions CFD is usually more expensive ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:51pm   #9
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
Depends on position size and the spread involved. With minimum commissions CFD is usually more expensive despite the tighter spread but if you are lobbing big money at it then spread betting becomes the more expensive option.

Well I do take that but I guess I was making assumptions about Tai-pan's situation, re capital and experience.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:36pm   #10

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
Well I do take that but I guess I was making assumptions about Tai-pan's situation, re capital and experience.
Yeah, pretty accurate assumption I guess.
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:25am   #11
Joined Mar 2003
For UK residents, spread bets make sense - no taxes on profits and no paperwork to worry about.

As an European I like CFDs; if you make losses in any one year you can roll them forward and use them to offset tax against profits for future years.

CFDs versus spreadbets: http://www.contracts-for-difference....d-betting.html
luckystrike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:24pm   #12

Joined Feb 2008
If you need to 'earn' a certain amount of money then CFD's will be the way to go. This way mortgages/borrowing will be available to you. If not and you prefer to be liquid then (UK), spread betting/gambling would be your better option. However you cannot offset losses, winnings are just that and in most circumstances (simplified) would be classed as gambling. If (and that's a big if) you are successful over time then you could show your book to any institution and they would look for you to use funds - in favour of them of course. However, if you make it as a successful private investor, you probably wouldn't want to then dedicate your full time and profits for the benefit of an institution.

Regards,
Lee
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:45am   #13
Joined Mar 2014
cfd's

smaller bet sizes, better leverage, tighter spreads
jkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Wolf of Old Street