Do SB firms make it impossible to win big?

This is a discussion on Do SB firms make it impossible to win big? within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; Do SB firms make it impossible to win big? I've read so many messages on the internet from people saying ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:54pm   #1

7 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Do SB firms make it impossible to win big?

Do SB firms make it impossible to win big? I've read so many messages on the internet from people saying it is impossible to win big with spread betting. If you are succesful and trade with a big stake, the sb firms boycot you from winning. IS THIS TRUE? Are the SB firms some sort of maffia where you can only loose money? Can they do that? Isn't there some kind of law or regulations to protect the clients from the sb firms???
fredvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:05pm   #2

Joined Nov 2009
Re: Do SB firms make it impossible to win big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredvb View Post
Do SB firms make it impossible to win big? I've read so many messages on the internet from people saying it is impossible to win big with spread betting. If you are succesful and trade with a big stake, the sb firms boycot you from winning. IS THIS TRUE? Are the SB firms some sort of maffia where you can only loose money? Can they do that? Isn't there some kind of law or regulations to protect the clients from the sb firms???
They can do whatever they like, they may get fined but thats nothing to how much they make from it. Dont hold really large accounts and spread your money around would be my advice.
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:23pm   #3
Joined Jan 2006

Quote:
It has always been my viewpoint, if you can't make it SB you wont make it trading the real market as well. It all comes down to money management, not taking too much risk in reference to your capital. Don't take for granted all these horror stories trading SB, they did not have money management in the first place anyway. If one SB put some restriction on your trading style, just move on to some other SB, not a big deal really.
gle101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:35pm   #4
Joined Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirs View Post
most losers look someone to blame than doing introspection...

those who win big have hardly any time for trolling internet....

SB firms are not charity organizations nor the punters...but SB firms do not need to do anything special to make punters lose money....punters do it for them...
Yes I agree.
gle101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:30am   #5

Joined Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirs View Post
good read

Click the image to open in full size.
Hello,

I tend to agree with you as well. It sounds paranoid that SB firms are after you if you trade large size, and it's too easy to find alternatives to be so. Besides, large size for SB, say >£500/pt, means that you have at the very least a £100,000 minimum bankroll, in which case you are: A. a professional trader who has grown his account over time and will know immediately if the SB firm is trying to hustle him before it becomes a problem; B. wealthy but just using SB for punting, which is fair enough but means you likely have a limited understanding of financial trading and will lose money because of your own errors, not the SB's.

On a side note though I have found the Gann excerpt quite counterintuitive.
To understand human nature and exploit human cognitive weaknesses for successful trading is indeed paramount as far as I'm concerned, but I disagree with the "buy/sell the bottom/top against the public" bit.. Whether the public is right, wrong, knowledgeable or not, is not relevant if it represents the majority of volume. I have found that it can be most profitable to understand human weakness and go along, rather than go against.
But that's just a small comment, perhaps I misunderstood the original idea.

Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:56pm   #6

7 Posts
Joined Feb 2011

fredvb started this thread What are the most reliable brokers out there?
fredvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:28pm   #7
NVP

Joined Jun 2004

Quote:
in a way yes ..........you need to be a complete donut to drop more than £5-10k in a SB deposit account ........
Trading Forex strengthmeters for over 14 years and happy to help ! What is a Forex Strengthmeter ? http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fore...rs-basics.html The FXCorrelator - All my Indicators & simple systems http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fore...ml#post2197030My Profile - http://www.trade2win.com/articles/19...er-profile-nvp
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote