IG Index dispute - advice welcome!

This is a discussion on IG Index dispute - advice welcome! within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; Don't bother arguing any more. Just ask for their 'final response' and fill in the FOS forms. All the SBs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:55pm   #17
Joined Jul 2010
Re: IG Index dispute - advice welcome!

Don't bother arguing any more. Just ask for their 'final response' and fill in the FOS forms. All the SBs seem to work on the assumption that most people won't bother, but it's worth doing because it costs them money every time a complaint is made.
Ross Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:08pm   #18

Joined Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Spur View Post
Don't bother arguing any more. Just ask for their 'final response' and fill in the FOS forms. All the SBs seem to work on the assumption that most people won't bother, but it's worth doing because it costs them money every time a complaint is made.
Furthermore... obviously it costs them money in terms of time with every complaint... but past, I think, five complaints in a year, and they have to pay the FOS money too, whatever the outcome of the case!

(Another thing I picked up from ombudsman news...)
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:17pm   #19
tar

Joined Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
After that, a move to another SB firm might be the first item on the agenda.
Yeah , switch to capitalspreads !
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:11pm   #20
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
Furthermore... obviously it costs them money in terms of time with every complaint... but past, I think, five complaints in a year, and they have to pay the FOS money too, whatever the outcome of the case!

(Another thing I picked up from ombudsman news...)
I think that is out of date, I don't think it's even five - it might be for every complaint, unless they can show that the complaint was "vexatious" or whatever term they use.

Either way, no regulated firm wants complaints no matter what, because they start to move up the regulator's / ombudsman's sh1t-list.
Pazienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:13pm   #21

Joined Jan 2007

the magic FSA words, of course, are "I don't feel that you're treating me fairly".

But I think FOS is a better bet in this case.
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:35pm   #22
Joined Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazienza View Post
I think that is out of date, I don't think it's even five - it might be for every complaint, unless they can show that the complaint was "vexatious" or whatever term they use.

Either way, no regulated firm wants complaints no matter what, because they start to move up the regulator's / ombudsman's sh1t-list.
Yeah, I think every complaint costs them money, but not many SBs will have less than five a year. More like 500, I reckon.
Ross Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:45pm   #23

Joined Nov 2008

The FOS is the complaints arm of the FSA. Once you have made your complaint to IG and they give you a final rejection you can then apply to the FOS to rule. It will cost you nothing but is likely to be quite expensive for IG. I used to run a Independent Firm of Financial Advisors and any complaint that threatened to go to the FOS under £500 certainly wasn't worth arguing as it would cost more and the FSA monitor your complaints numbers, so it depends how much you have lost. The FOS will use "treating customers fairly" rule among others and there decision will be binding on IG but not on you. So if they rule against you you still could go to court. The FOS use FSA regulatory principles in there decision and do not follow the rule of law, so if the find in favour of IG it may still be worth pursuing through the courts. Good luck.
andycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:19am   #24
Joined Mar 2011

defender110 started this thread Thank u all for the advice, I've learnt ally about the FOS and will seek further action through them. I will update this thread with any developments. Thanks again
defender110 is offline   Reply With Quote