IB to offer CFDs trading in 2006

Moneycat

I have read this in another forum: Interactive Brokers is supposed to offer CFDs trading sometime this year. Anyone heard the same?

No I havent but it would be a clever move by IB because it will allow them to get around the PDT rule for US stocks.

Paul

Its not there business model so I personally think the story is false.

JonnyT

I was e-mailed by Gerald Perez of IB UK prior to xmas saying they were evaluating the provision of CFDs as well as SIPPs possibly during the first quarter 2006. He wanted others who are interested in these products to e-mail him. There is another thread here:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=18051&page=2&pp=10

If it is not in their business model now I don't see any reason why it could not be part of it in the future, they just need to appreciate that there is sufficient demand to cover their development and administration costs. If anyone is interested in these products then please contact Gereald Perez and tell him. If IB can bring their approach to fees etc. to the CFD and SIPP markets in the UK then it would be great for many members here.

[email protected]

I'll second that, but I don't think they will bring out products just for the UK due to costs etc.

I hope I'm wrong.

JonnyT

Moneycat said:
I have read this in another forum: Interactive Brokers is supposed to offer CFDs trading sometime this year. Anyone heard the same?
Via Trader, currently advertised on the T2W homepage, offer a CFD trading platform which, at face value, looks impressive. The 'pros' include getting around the PDT rule, only 2k deposit required and free level II quotes - among others. Can anyone see any obvious 'cons'?
Tim.

Timsk, do you know who is providing the service through Via Trader? Obviously it is a white-label so who's platform is it? Echelon Wealth Management seem to be the broker.

TIA

FIM

FTSE in mouth said:
Timsk, do you know who is providing the service through Via Trader? Obviously it is a white-label so who's platform is it? Echelon Wealth Management seem to be the broker.
Hi FIM,
No, in answer to your question, I'm afraid I don't. I will be e-mailing Alan (Rich) shortly with some questions about it and, if he's able to provide any useful insights, I'll report back.
Cheers,
Tim.

timsk said:
I will be e-mailing Alan (Rich) shortly with some questions about it and, if he's able to provide any useful insights, I'll report back.
I've heard back from Alan ('Naz' on these boards). Unfortunately, he has not yet had an opportunity to see the new CFD trading platform and is therefore unable to comment on it. However, he hopes to try out a demo account soon.

Apparently, at the end of the month Clickevents are laying on a Saturday seminar where Alan will be demonstrating the new Via Trader scanning platform and, additionally, a bod from the company will also be demonstrating the CFD platform. The event is free and all are welcome. Doubtless the Clickevents marketing dept' will announce more details in due course.
Tim.

timsk said:
Via Trader, currently advertised on the T2W homepage, offer a CFD trading platform which, at face value, looks impressive. The 'pros' include getting around the PDT rule, only 2k deposit required and free level II quotes - among others. Can anyone see any obvious 'cons'?
Tim.

At a first glance it looks good: Their 3c per share for US CFDs are better than GNI´s 0,2%, but
Via-trader´s applet installer (demo) says:
IS Innovative software and:https://charts.gnitouch.com

polar828

JonnyT said:
I'll second that, but I don't think they will bring out products just for the UK due to costs etc.

I hope I'm wrong.

JonnyT

Dear JonnyT and others:

We are always looking to add new value to our services and technology. And we appreciate our clients interest and suggestions. Recently we experienced alot of demand for US floor traded products. So as a result we will be providing US floor traded futures this Quarter. Never say never to us offering CFD's or other products. If there is sufficient demand and a business case we will definetly look into it. So if you or others would like us to add CFD's or our other product line e.g., shares, options, futures, forex, bonds, warrants, ETF's and SSF's please let us know in our thread in Trade2Win.

Thank you in advance.
Interactive Brokers.

Interactive Brokers said:
Dear JonnyT and others:

We are always looking to add new value to our services and technology. And we appreciate our clients interest and suggestions. Recently we experienced alot of demand for US floor traded products. So as a result we will be providing US floor traded futures this Quarter. Never say never to us offering CFD's or other products. If there is sufficient demand and a business case we will definetly look into it. So if you or others would like us to add CFD's or our other product line e.g., shares, options, futures, forex, bonds, warrants, ETF's and SSF's please let us know in our thread in Trade2Win.

Thank you in advance.
Interactive Brokers.
Any news on SIPPs or CFDs or CFDs in a SIPP?

CYOF:

Thank you and others are welcomed to submit thier vote for us to offer CFD's, if we get serious interest we will consider.

Am I missing something or is that poll only open to existing customers? Missing the point a bit isn't it?
UK equity traders won't have an IB account if they don't do CFD's.
You're only asking the small minority of traders already with accounts who might trade CFD's as well.

Would it not be better researching the CFD market, comparing your costs and com's offering to the market leaders (GNI, IG etc) and then making a decision if you can take a chunk out of the market?

Dear Captain Haddock:

We have already analyzed the UK market regarding CFD's, and only a handful of clients have expressed interest. Now we are looking for names to go along with our conclusions as to whether there is enough interest from traders, for IB to offer CFD's. Your point is cited regarding our voters poll.

If non IB clients want to suggest us offering CFD's please send an e-mail, with your name and comments in favour, to [email protected] In the subject line denote In favour of CFD's

If you are an IB client please place your vote in our voters poll hosted in our website.

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited:
CFD Fever

IB

I would be interested in CFDs if the spreads and commissions are good. However, usually they are worse on derivatives (in my experience). For example, about 2 years ago the buzz was how we wouldn't need stocks any more because SSFs were coming out. But after they came out I looked at their spreads and I walked away. Their spreads have always been too wide to trade.

Can you comment on how the spreads and commissions on CFDs would compare to real equities?

Steve

Last edited: