Traders psychology

This is a discussion on Traders psychology within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by Quantt I'll disagree with you on this one :-) I have been to a few psychologists offices, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:43pm   #16
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
I'll disagree with you on this one :-)

I have been to a few psychologists offices, and no, I am not that crazy (or maybe I am, but not yet certified), to support friends, family and employees, so maybe I am a bit bias, but every single time the psychologist will find something wrong and will charge $1000s of dollars to "fix" or "improve" - the whole thing is pretty rigged to me...

If someone is looking for a shoulder to cry or pat on the back from time to time, that's what the fiends and family are for, no need to pay a lot of money to strangers...

On the other hand, if someone have a real mental health issue, maybe the better idea is to see a psychiatrist, at least he is a real doctor and maybe trading the markets and other high stress jobs are not a good idea in the first place...

In my experience, the domain of psychology is vast and varies in levels of validity way too much for me to make call on the type of psychs "your friends" have seen. I would really have to know exactly what sort of psychologist we are talking about. But I can certainly see a use for CBT. The more Rogerian psychs, not so much but could help in a sense of keeping someone on an even keel throughout stress or whatnot... A counsellor who relies upon neurological psychology as part of their tools would also be able to help, in the sense of neuroplasticity/forming more complex neural pathways (see studies on enriched vs impoverished environments on brain growth and cognitive reserve).

I used to get caught up on what psychology can do when studying it (defensive when people said it wasn't science), but really, the advancements in understanding that we have gotten from collaborations of biopsych and neuropsych, even adding a social lens gives such a broader scope to whatever phenomena that's the focus.

Psychology is a tool, just like we use some indicators sometimes and other indicators other times
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:53pm   #17

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
In my experience, the domain of psychology is vast and varies in levels of validity way too much for me to make call on the type of psychs "your friends" have seen. I would really have to know exactly what sort of psychologist we are talking about. But I can certainly see a use for CBT. The more Rogerian psychs, not so much but could help in a sense of keeping someone on an even keel throughout stress or whatnot... A counsellor who relies upon neurological psychology as part of their tools would also be able to help, in the sense of neuroplasticity/forming more complex neural pathways (see studies on enriched vs impoverished environments on brain growth and cognitive reserve).

I used to get caught up on what psychology can do when studying it (defensive when people said it wasn't science), but really, the advancements in understanding that we have gotten from collaborations of biopsych and neuropsych, even adding a social lens gives such a broader scope to whatever phenomena that's the focus.
I agree with the last sentence 100% and I won't argue with you about the rest, because:

1st you have studied it a lot and I have not read a single book about it and

2nd I am sure there are a lot of cases where it helps (either because it can or because of the placebo effect),

And here is why I agree with you: more and more I am in the opinion that mental problems are actually caused by physical issues... Same with the chronic diseases, most of them caused by genetics...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:58pm   #18

Joined Oct 2015
blah blah

and THIRD sure you bank every third or fourt trade lol
piphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:02pm   #19

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
I agree with the last sentence 100% and I won't argue with you about the rest, because:

1st you have studied it a lot and I have not read a single book about it and

2nd I am sure there are a lot of cases where it helps (either because it can or because of the placebo effect),

And here is why I agree with you: more and more I am in the opinion that mental problems are actually caused by physical issues... Same with the chronic diseases, most of them caused by genetics...
i'm not sure where your algo is short??
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:14pm   #20

Joined Oct 2015
and he wont say lol

i wish i had as almost free time
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:26pm   #21

Joined Jul 2017
I am actually ignoring piphoe in this thread, because he is acting a bit strange: posting, editing, deleting, not sure where he wants to go in the end :-)

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Thanks! The following members like this post: Nowler
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:30pm   #22
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
.. more and more I am in the opinion that mental problems are actually caused by physical issues... Same with the chronic diseases, most of them caused by genetics...

A negative mind can cause chemical and hormonal changes which breakdown tissue. This negative mind could be because of a wide range of factors though...socioeconomical/physical etc....then we could play the chicken or the egg game to see which one caused what and what's a result of the other...

Your personality can determine your life expectancy
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:34pm   #23

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
A negative mind can cause chemical and hormonal changes which breakdown tissue. This negative mind could be because of a wide range of factors though...socioeconomical/physical etc....then we could play the chicken or the egg game to see which one caused what and what's a result of the other...

Your personality can determine your life expectancy
Mind over matter, I like that!

Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:47pm   #24
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
Mind over matter, I like that!

To go even deeper down the rabbit hole... diet can be just as influential as the rest.
Your neurons are covered in a insulation called the myelin sheath. This quality is determined largely by the fats you eat. The better the fats, the better the insulation, the crappier the fats (trans for example) the crappier the insulation. Just like an electrical wire, it's insulation is vital. If the insulation isn't enough, then the signal doesn't travel optimally, or even get to it's intended destination at all. I believe MS patients were supplemented with high dose of EPA & DHA (fish/omega oils) and noticeable improvements to their condition were observed.

Just to dig even deeper again, when fasting your body actually goes through a state called autophagy which essentially recycles the old cells and damaged cells of the body (different cells depending on the length of fasting). This has amazing implications because now your body is rid of a degree of waste or improperly functioning cells (could turn cancerous) and gives room to build stronger, healthier cells...all this has implications to our psychology also.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:24pm   #25
Joined May 2012
Is this thread about trader's psychology or neuroscience?

There are very specific trade psychologies traders typically have to deal with in some shape or form. For example, separating emotions from your trade decisions is a problem that we all had experienced. How do you deal with it? Personally, the only technique I find having some practical usefulness is using cognitive defusion techniques.

I would like to hear what techniques others are using.

Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:48am   #26

Joined Sep 2015
I've never heard about this technique... Could you, please, tell me more about it? I often have problems with trading on forex because of emotions.
robbens is offline   Reply With Quote