Loss aversion trading

This is a discussion on Loss aversion trading within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by barjon Yup, that's it. If you don't think trading is about your bottom line then you're living ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:09am   #9
Joined Apr 2017
foroom lluzers started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
Yup, that's it. If you don't think trading is about your bottom line then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.
Nothing wrong with that , so true.Our brains are designed to behave this way.

Once we accept this fact , we can move forward for achieving higher targets.

BTW ;On friday I closed a dax trade early for small profit and another this morning , so I am not in cloud cuckoo land.
foroom lluzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:22am   #10

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by foroom lluzers View Post
Nothing wrong with that , so true.Our brains are designed to behave this way.

Once we accept this fact , we can move forward for achieving higher targets.

BTW ;On friday I closed a dax trade early for small profit and another this morning , so I am not in cloud cuckoo land.
If you have any interest in how I approach my trading then it's all here http://www.trade2win.com/articles/2006-trading-business . Feel free to criticise
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:16am   #11
Joined Apr 2017
foroom lluzers started this thread
Thanks! The following members like this post: Lee Shepherd
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:52pm   #12
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by foroom lluzers View Post
Traders often close positions to avoid a loss ,they take small profits in fear of a larger loss , they put on revenge trades to recover losses , they add to losing positions to average down , they hold on to losing positions , they convert positions into options trades to avoid taking a loss.

Loss aversion traders lose more in trying to avoid losses.

In economics and decision theory, loss aversion refers to people's tendency to prefer avoiding losses to acquiring equivalent gains: it's better to not lose £5 than to find £5. Some studies have suggested that losses are twice as powerful, psychologically, as gains.

Loss aversion examples
https://www.hitinvestments.com/15-ex...loss-aversion/

No arguments here FL ......all of those things you have discussed are programmed into human behaviour .......doesn't help the trading mindset needed
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:24am   #13
Joined Apr 2017
foroom lluzers started this thread many traders fear potential losses during trades , they close early , loss aversion trading technique.Not everybody has the right mindset for trading.