Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious?

This is a discussion on Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious? within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; No doubt the title will have some thinking As can be seen from the number of posts in this section ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:58pm   #1
 
Lúidín's Avatar
Joined May 2015
Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious?

No doubt the title will have some thinking

As can be seen from the number of posts in this section of the site, it is "obvious" that the majority of those who are seeking knowledge in relation to making money trading, have not done any solid ground work prior to starting.

If you were to build a house, would you put in 6 inches of concrete for the foundation?

I could make a list, but I will not bother, as I try to keep things simple and short.

So, why is it that the majority of people do not take very seriously the mental aspects (psychology) of trading, as it is by far the most important aspect.

What does the "psychology" of trading mean to you, and if you go off and search the internet for an answer, then the only person you are fooling is yourself.

You must speak exactly what comes out of your mind, and not use words of others.

Lúidín
Lúidín is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: options-george
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:22pm   #2
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
Most people identify with their minds, and are just plain unaware of the stress and ego related issues they bring to trading and life in general. Then they search for the answer in a method that accommodates their state of mind (fearful). Market wisdom eh!
From there its an endless game of circles that can range from grinding a profit to doing ya knackers.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Me and you, we is largely the same bruv! We dont know shît! The difference is, I know I dont know shît!!
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:43pm   #3
 
itspossible's Avatar
Joined Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
6 inches of concrete
Thats me
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
long YM 808 SIM TRADE
itspossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Fugazsy
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:51pm   #4
 
Lúidín's Avatar
Joined May 2015
Lúidín started this thread No one can answer the question for anyone else, but we can make assumptions by reading what people post.

I think that what people fail to realize, is that there is a required learning curve in "the art of losing", as this goes against all we have been taught with our archaic education system.

How can someone in their right mind, start making money by learning how to lose money!

Have you ever seen any person post in a thread, asking for someone to show them how to lose correctly?

Also, learning how to lose correctly is but the start, for if you become an expert at only losing, then you will "obviously" not make any money.

If a person is not aware, and willing to radically change, the way they normally think then the odds of succeeding is very low, and that person will more than likely join the stats, which I have no doubt is indeed around 95%, if not even a bit higher.

Lúidín
Lúidín is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: itspossible
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:49am   #5
Joined Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
No doubt the title will have some thinking
Some, perhaps.

Others may immediately recognise it from the well-known 440-page thread in another trading forum, where it originally appeared in identical form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
You must speak exactly what comes out of your mind, and not use words of others.
We must, but you don't have to, apparently?
alexaherself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:18pm   #6
 
Lúidín's Avatar
Joined May 2015
Lúidín started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaherself View Post
Some, perhaps.

Others may immediately recognise it from the well-known 440-page thread in another trading forum, where it originally appeared in identical form.



We must, but you don't have to, apparently?
You are assuming, which can sometimes mean...

make an ass out of u and me

The point, obviously, is if you want to really try and help yourself, then you must be true to yourself, and not jump from jimmy to jack, so as not to make yourself look foolish in front of people you can't even hear, let alone see.

It really is amazing how silly people can be when it comes to trading, and I speak from first hand experiences

Lúidín
Lúidín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:54pm   #7
 
itspossible's Avatar
Joined Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
No one can answer the question for anyone else, but we can make assumptions by reading what people post.

I think that what people fail to realize, is that there is a required learning curve in "the art of losing", as this goes against all we have been taught with our archaic education system.

How can someone in their right mind, start making money by learning how to lose money!

Have you ever seen any person post in a thread, asking for someone to show them how to lose correctly?

Also, learning how to lose correctly is but the start, for if you become an expert at only losing, then you will "obviously" not make any money.

If a person is not aware, and willing to radically change, the way they normally think then the odds of succeeding is very low, and that person will more than likely join the stats, which I have no doubt is indeed around 95%, if not even a bit higher.

Lúidín
A very good point.When i first started trading i lost 5k on shares but i was always quick to take losses.I then started spreadbetting and obviously had the advantage of being able to short.I didnt follow any charts and taught myself using patterns and feel-i made all of the 5k back.I think as long as you can cut the cancer quickly(losses)and try and let your profits run you can make it.The next step is having the mental mind set to make it.I stopped as i do not want trading to take over my life as it is very addictive.Depressing when losing and amazing when winning.I still watch the markets but i really think that people get married to charts etc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
long YM 808 SIM TRADE
itspossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:47pm   #8
 
Lúidín's Avatar
Joined May 2015
Lúidín started this thread You can actually post without using pictures

Yes, it can be very addictive, but you should not let it take over your life once you have worked out a way to make some money consistently.

If I was to get paid $5 for all the hours I have spent gaining the experiences, I would never need a margin account and could daytrade SPY and AAPL all day without any concerns about buying power.

We are all different, but we should all look for the least risky way to trade, that takes up the least amount of time.

I had to go full circle, before I realized that the best way for me was the way I was first interested in..what a dope I was, and I now feel real silly when I look back at all the years, and money, I wasted.

Lúidín
Lúidín is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thats too obvious for me to have taken Lord Flasheart General Trading Chat 9 Dec 16, 2011 7:19pm
Dealing with the obvious Joe Ross Psychology, Risk & Money Management 7 Dec 16, 2010 2:43am
Accentuate the obvious Joe Ross General Trading Chat 10 Dec 2, 2010 1:48am
This might be obvious ... elchulonegro First Steps 0 Jul 15, 2008 1:05pm
An obvious question but... troyresearch Educational Resources 2 Feb 27, 2001 5:17am

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)