Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious?

This is a discussion on Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious? within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; I am a little confused. Understand the SB data and how they operate, but if you are trading big size ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:47pm   #17

Joined May 2015
Lúidín started this thread I am a little confused. Understand the SB data and how they operate, but if you are trading big size are you not better off with a normal broker like IB for Dax, or even the likes of Exante at E1.50 for Dax Ftrs

https://exante.eu/markets/Futures/

I tried the Exante demo, but did not like their software, especially the charts. To be honest, I have had an account with about 5 sb companies, was with Datek and TDA, and been with IB for a good while now, and none of them can beat IB, as they tick most of the boxes, with their major drawback funny enough being their chart features, which is silly for such a big trading broker and would be very easy to fix, but they don't listen to small traders like me.

If you want to PM me with the way you are trading, I might be able to offer some insight into how you might be better off trading to avoid the SB's messing you about, as you rightly say they can only rattle you a small bit, and thing is the traders they employ are not really clued into chart analysis, which is you main weapon.

If you are fine, np.

As for tomorrow, I am not too concerned, as i have some low risk option trades on a low priced oil stock (bout 2K shares), and open 2 long positions in crude for $39 and $40 calls, again low risk, so would like to see a rally in oil before 16Dec - if it happens good, if not then no sweat, as I know the risk and am not worried about it, which is how it should be.

I read an interesting article over the weekend in relation to the feds upcoming rate hike, and many of the big players are expecting a bad Q1, based on the effects the rate hike will have on corporate business, so it will be interesting to see what actually happens.

My preferred style is daytrading the open, with no opinions of where it might go, just look and react to what is happening, get in and out as required, and try to make a good bit more than I lose. For me, I have found the best market to daytrade is US blue chip stocks, for several reasons, namely opportunities at the open.

I am always interested in what other traders are doing.

Lúidín
Lúidín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:41am   #18

Joined May 2015
Lúidín started this thread To get back on track.

There is a debate, if you can call it that, going on in another thread, where a few have highlighted a serious issue that one should consider, if that person has no other source of income other than the subject under discussion.

I am not using this thread to slate them, but as an example of why so many traders act and carry on the way they do. Also, I am not trying to say that the few are right, just noting that the few stated there is a serious issue that needs to be addressed if there is no other source of income.

1. Why do people turn down good advice that can only help them save money, not cost them money!

2. Why do people keep trying to prove something where no proof is really required!

3. Why do people believe what they want to believe, without seriously considering the possible outcome of their actions!

I could summarize and say "Why are people so stupid", but I won't, as that is not nice

Lúidín
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:24pm   #19
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
To get back on track.

There is a debate, if you can call it that, going on in another thread, where a few have highlighted a serious issue that one should consider, if that person has no other source of income other than the subject under discussion.

I am not using this thread to slate them, but as an example of why so many traders act and carry on the way they do. Also, I am not trying to say that the few are right, just noting that the few stated there is a serious issue that needs to be addressed if there is no other source of income.

1. Why do people turn down good advice that can only help them save money, not cost them money!

2. Why do people keep trying to prove something where no proof is really required!

3. Why do people believe what they want to believe, without seriously considering the possible outcome of their actions!

I could summarize and say "Why are people so stupid", but I won't, as that is not nice

Lúidín
Hi Lúidín,
With regard to your three questions, keep in mind that they are all subjective. In other words, all three relate equally well to both sides of the argument (in the case of the 'other' thread), not just your side of the argument.

You might think that I'm stupid and that's fine, that's you're prerogative. Moreover, I'd plead guilty to the charge if it was made, as I amaze myself at my own stupidity at times. But that's another story. Similarly, just as the three questions are subjective, whether or not I'm stupid is also subjective, as others might think I'm clever and that you are the stupid one. (Just to be clear, I don't think either of those, far from it, but others might.) Either way, it doesn't much matter. What matters on a free and open access forum like T2W are the comments posted, regardless of your impression of the individual who posts them. The point being, if you focus on the message rather than the messenger, then the stupidity (or brilliance) of any individual member ceases to be important, as it doesn't help you get as much as possible from the forum and contribute as much as possible to it.
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:44pm   #20

Joined Aug 2003
If I may, one needn't characterize any of this as "stupid", though if one were to do so anyway, he could avoid subjectivity by defining "stupid" as whatever results in a negative account balance. After a twenty-year online presence, I continue to be impressed by the same mistakes being made, the same patterns of behavior, the same arguments, the same personas (though with continuous changes in names), the same drive toward doing exactly that which is the opposite to what is in one's best interests.

The psychology behind all this is not terribly complex and it has been delved into before. But the delving hasn't accomplished much, if anything, because it's always the other guy who has these -- for want of a better word -- problems. And so we go on, and one finds a sameness to it all, particularly in the journals, particularly among beginners. In fact, one who left the boards, any boards, fifteen years ago and came back today would find little difference other than the obsession with forex.

Db
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:51pm   #21

Joined May 2015
Lúidín started this thread stupidity
stʃʊˈpɪdɪti,stʃuːˈpɪdɪti,stjʊˈpɪdɪti,stjuːˈpɪdɪt i/Submit
noun
behaviour that shows a lack of good sense or judgement.
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:57pm   #22

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
stupidity
stʃʊˈpɪdɪti,stʃuːˈpɪdɪti,stjʊˈpɪdɪti,stjuːˈpɪdɪt i/Submit
noun
behaviour that shows a lack of good sense or judgement.
This, however, involves a subjective judgement. The state of the account balance is an objective measure.

Db
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:02pm   #23

Joined May 2015
Lúidín started this thread btw..i will reply in detail..it is just that i still have some painting to finish
Lúidín
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:59pm   #24

Joined May 2015
Lúidín started this thread break time..and i will apologize before i start..as i will more than likely offend some people..but that is life

i will start with the following..to lead into the discussion at hand

there are 2 types of people whom you will meet in life..the first will be looking for you to part with your money..for whatever reason..the second..will not be looking for you to part with any money..and might even help you acquire some money without asking for anything in return

of course people will repeat things..that is what humans do..it is called habitual nature..and it happens you whether you like it or not..so best understand it as best you can

facts..a fact is something that actually happened..it can be seen or heard..interpretation of facts is a different matter..and prime example is court (circus) system

laws..laws are put in place for control..supposed to be for rhe better of humanity..but that is very debatable for some laws..especially when it comes to taxation laws

t.b.c

Lúidín