Trading on gut-feel: Blink

This is a discussion on Trading on gut-feel: Blink within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; Malcolm Gladwell interview of his book, Blink. (no direct references to trading in this youtube presentation) Its about how we ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:09am   #1

Joined Jan 2004
Trading on gut-feel: Blink

Malcolm Gladwell interview of his book, Blink.
(no direct references to trading in this youtube presentation)

Its about how we use snap-judgements.
Refers to how an american general, whilst playing war-games, and representing Iraq, defeated the US war-machine. The war-game had the plug pulled.
And its about framing questions being as important.

A good overview of the idea of utility of how we judge, and knowing when judgements are valid.
Have ordered the book.

# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:41pm   #2

Joined Jan 2003
Re: Trading on gut-feel: Blink

They say there is nothing as powerful as an idea whose time has come and Malcolm Gladwell's other essays - I have read The Outliers and The tipping point which seem to,in large part been accepted as perceived wisdom now. This is an intersting subject area and good to have his thoughts on it - there are definate parallels with trading and his line that ' instinctive reactions without experience are useless or worse - possibly dangerous' is certainly thought provoking and chimes with what feels right from a trading perspective. Thanks for the post - will be ordering the book too,

G/L
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:07pm   #3
Joined Oct 2011

the books awful don't bother, its really trash, the whole book never really says anything, i quit reading halfway through.
eighteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:16pm   #4
Joined Feb 2002

I read your post very very quickly and it sounded just great to me.

Later on, I read it slowly and more carefully and now I'm having second thoughts.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Lee Shepherd , wackypete2 , Shakone , bbmac
Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:07pm   #5

Joined Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmac View Post
They say there is nothing as powerful as an idea whose time has come and Malcolm Gladwell's other essays - I have read The Outliers and The tipping point which seem to,in large part been accepted as perceived wisdom now. This is an intersting subject area and good to have his thoughts on it - there are definate parallels with trading and his line that ' instinctive reactions without experience are useless or worse - possibly dangerous' is certainly thought provoking and chimes with what feels right from a trading perspective. Thanks for the post - will be ordering the book too,

G/L

I think some of these ideas are obvious (such as the Tipping Point) but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be repeated, while others are very interesting.

I was posting on another thread about how having more indicators on the chart can actually harm your learning process, so the doctor example in the video, where they found that less information made the doctors better decision makers on a particular condition was interesting.

The general on the wargame was interesting too, but it's hard to really gauge that. Since we don't know how the wargame works, it may have just been a very smart man or a phenomenon of 'too man cooks'. It's difficult to make sensible conclusions from a lot of these things, but thanks for the video Trendie, nice and thought -provoking

Last edited by Shakone; Jun 29, 2012 at 4:08pm. Reason: Useless Spelling as usual
Shakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:34am   #6
NVP

Joined Jun 2004

always good to counter against some of the other recent work out there regarding "delaying" making decisions to optimise outcome.... .cant remember whos said what recently but amazon will deluge you if you ask....

I personally am a big fan of Brinksmanship.....in business anyway

N
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:45pm   #7
Joined Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendie View Post

Sorry for the off topic that this guy looks like the alien meme guy (less the tanning)

Click the image to open in full size.
thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote