Why only 1% Capital Risk when trading

This is a discussion on Why only 1% Capital Risk when trading within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by Gardan Hi Paul,Just to clarify that, do you mean Unmarginned account. Therefore with say $20k capital (unmargined) ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:17pm   #9

Joined Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardan
Hi Paul,Just to clarify that, do you mean Unmarginned account.

Therefore with say $20k capital (unmargined) in your account, one would be limited (using the 1% risk rule) to trading only one 1000 lot size on a $20 stock-with a 20c max stop loss. Or 500 lot size on a $40 stock-20c stop loss, and so on. Is this correct?

Also if possible can you expand on how they lost all there money , did they use stops? and why is the stop not the risk point. Are stops unreliable? or are they just a safety net.
Without trying to sound rude , why can't a stop be used as the calculation.

This may sound like I wish to use the stop as the calc, not so, I just wish to understand my risks before I start trading live.

Roll on 2020.

thanks
Hi Gardan

I think Paul is referring to a situation where there is some event on the stock causing it to be suspended, when the stock re-opens it could be at a significantly reduced price (assuming the event was perceived as bad for the future prospects of the company). Thus the stop would have no effect and the actual loss when closing out the position could be significantly larger than the amount risked down to the stop loss.

Stew
theknifemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:31pm   #10
Joined Sep 2004
I have a margin account and regularly enter trades for a larger amount than the cash I have in the account. So although I am risking far more than 1%-2% of my capital, I close out a loosing trade very quickly.

The way I manage my risk is to
1. Only enter one trade at a time so I can concentrate on that trade and nothing else.
2. I donít trade really fast moving stocks. That way even if a trade turns bad on me itís not likely to move too far in the wrong direction before I can exit it.
3. I only trade intra-day and exit any positions by the end of the trading session. That way I am not affected by overnight news etc.

IMO the key to successful trading is the ability to take a loss and move on without dwelling too much on it. No matter what your trading 'edge' is you will loose money and may have a run of loosing trades (especially when you first start out). So trade small and trade as safe as you can and make sure that you don't wipe yourself out.
Alphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:03pm   #11

Joined Nov 2003
Another way of looking at the 1%/2% risk per trade is by risking these small amounts your allowing enough time to reach your expectancy. If you tested your system and you were profitable 60% of the time, then your giving yourself enough time to reach that expectancy. You may well have a system that is more than 60% right but if you gunsling with your money management you may never reach those profits. Risking a small amount per trade allows you to let your edge come to the surface and lets you to ride the bumps of a early prehaps unexpected drawdown. Your edge may only be slight but tight money mangement will help us all achieve our trading goals.
techst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:05pm   #12
Joined Jul 2001
thanks KM

Gardan started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknifemac
Hi Gardan

I think Paul is referring to a situation where there is some event on the stock causing it to be suspended, when the stock re-opens it could be at a significantly reduced price (assuming the event was perceived as bad for the future prospects of the company). Thus the stop would have no effect and the actual loss when closing out the position could be significantly larger than the amount risked down to the stop loss.

Stew
Do you know how often this might happen?, not exact , 10 stocks a day on the Naz 20?? once a week?
In your experience, can a stock lose 50% or more of it's value. Or is this a "how long is a piece of sting" type of silly question. sorry if it is.

Gardan
Gardan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:12pm   #13

Joined Sep 2004
Bill Dunn once said trading was a matter of survival. Living to trade another day. Risking a max of 1% of your trading capital ensures you live to trade another day.

Traders who shoot for the moon on 25%, 50%, 100% of their trading capital get shot down by the market makers and others who saw them coming.

Apprentice floor trades have to make 30 trades a day using support and resistence and still breakeven at the end of the year (they have to make a small profit to cover costs). then they graduate !!!
KILL YOUR LOSSES.Never let a stock run against you more than three-quarters of a point, but if it goes your way, let it run. Move your stops up behind it so that it will have room to fluctuate and move higher"
Multi-Millionaire Old E. H. Harriman talking to a reporter in 1912
knucklehead is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:17pm   #14
Joined Jul 2001
techst

Quote:
Originally Posted by techst@
Another way of looking at the 1%/2% risk per trade is by risking these small amounts your allowing enough time to reach your expectancy. If you tested your system and you were profitable 60% of the time, then your giving yourself enough time to reach that expectancy. You may well have a system that is more than 60% right but if you gunsling with your money management you may never reach those profits. Risking a small amount per trade allows you to let your edge come to the surface and lets you to ride the bumps of a early prehaps unexpected drawdown. Your edge may only be slight but tight money mangement will help us all achieve our trading goals.
techst, do you see the stop loss value as your risk or the amount of shares you purchase.When calculating your risk?
Just trying to get a consensus you understand.

Might start a poll?
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:18pm   #15
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Garden,

Mac is correct and although this type of event is rare it can and does happen and in my view will happen again. You only have to have one event like this happen in your trading career and it will finish you completely. I know that I will get a lot of negative views from others on here about this but to me it is never worth risking bankruptcy no matter how unlikely the event.

I cannot remember the exact details of the stock name but one of the persons concerned had bought 2000 shares of a stock that was valued at $60 (ish) so having an exposure of $120K with an account of only $30K.

The stock was then suspended from trading and when it opened up again it was trading at around $10. This meant that the loss on the trade was immediately (2000 x $60) - (2000 x $10) = 100K. Taking off the $30K account in margin, this person became liable for $70K and they had to sell their house to cover this.

This may be a rare occurence but it does happen and they way to avoid it is to ensure that you never have an account exposure greater than the size of your account. So this means if you have a $30K account then you can trade a maximum of 1500 shares on a $20 stock or a maximum of 375 shares of an $80 stock.

As a rule I trade stock prices that have a value of between $14 and $60. This is why you wont find me trading stocks like GOOG because the maximum I could trade with my account would be around 300 shares and there is little point in me trading at that low a number.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:38pm   #16
Joined Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333
Garden,

The stock was then suspended from trading and when it opened up again it was trading at around $10. This meant that the loss on the trade was immediately (2000 x $60) - (2000 x $10) = 100K. Taking off the $30K account in margin, this person became liable for $70K and they had to sell their house to cover this.
Paul
Thanks Paul, I'll post this in my "Must Read Monthly File"