Professionals vs Amateurs

This is a discussion on Professionals vs Amateurs within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; I thought it was worth repeating a quote (from John Carter maybe ?) in view of all the discussion lately ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:06pm   #1

Joined May 2003
Professionals vs Amateurs

I thought it was worth repeating a quote (from John Carter maybe ?) in view of all the discussion lately on 100% and all that. Here it is:

Professionals focus on limiting risk and protecting their capital. Amateurs focus on how much money they can make. Professionals always take money from amateurs.

good trading

jon
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: scose-no-doubt , tomorton
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:36pm   #2

Joined Jun 2005
Re: Professionals vs Amateurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
I thought it was worth repeating a quote (from John Carter maybe ?) in view of all the discussion lately on 100% and all that. Here it is:

Professionals focus on limiting risk and protecting their capital. Amateurs focus on how much money they can make. Professionals always take money from amateurs.

good trading

jon
Agree with that. In my experience - look after your trading techniques and the £££s will look after themselves. You can be an amateur and trade like a professional (in the sense above).
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:37am   #3
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Re: Professionals vs Amateurs

Spot on Jon!

I've recently updated the FAQ entitled: 'Realistically, How much Money can I Expect to Make?' This quote is from the Short Answer in post #1:

The secret to trading success is not to focus on reward, but on risk. You must minimise risk and keep your losses small. Coupled with this is the need to focus on trading really well, rather than the money you’ll make if you do. In this respect, good traders are like the best premiership footballers. First and foremost, footy stars have to focus on their training, fitness and how to excel on the field of play. The fame, money and beautiful WAGs come second.

Realistically, How much Money can I Expect to Make?
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:11pm   #4
Joined Apr 2017
I started a different thread , because I did not see this thread .After reading this thread there is not much qualitative information /discussion on this thread .

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...essionals.html

The subject is far more detailed and beyond the knowledge of most posters , the superior knowledge is obtained by listening to many webinars and reading articles /books by top trading psychologists and other non trading psychologists .These psychologists are Rande Howell , Dr Br Steenbarger , Dr Van tharp , Mark Douglas , Dr Andrew Menaker and a few others .The knowledge of the subject of psychology of these psychologists is way superior to the discussions by non psychologists on forums.These PSYCHOLOGISTS give a far superior understanding of the differences between professionals and amateurs .

The main differences are
1) Trading mindsets 80 % is pychology and 20 % the method .Professionals understand trading psychology
2)Professional's Methods incorporate psychology
3)Professional's Methods have an edge

This thread is in the psychology section , but it has hardly any pychology

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/psyc...sychology.html

Professionals trade because they have a trade , amateurs trade because they have to trade , when there is no trade.
foroom lluzers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:58am   #5
Joined Apr 2017
Professionals master this .
Attached Thumbnails
psy.jpg   ggggggggggggggggg.jpg  
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:03pm   #6
Joined Apr 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Spot on Jon!

I've recently updated the FAQ entitled: 'Realistically, How much Money can I Expect to Make?' This quote is from the Short Answer in post #1:

The secret to trading success is not to focus on reward, but on risk. You must minimise risk and keep your losses small. Coupled with this is the need to focus on trading really well, rather than the money you’ll make if you do. In this respect, good traders are like the best premiership footballers. First and foremost, footy stars have to focus on their training, fitness and how to excel on the field of play. The fame, money and beautiful WAGs come second.

Realistically, How much Money can I Expect to Make?
Tim.
But the risk is controlled by the amygdala , the amygdala is responsible for processing base emotions that come from sensory inputs, like anger, avoidance, defensiveness and fear. The emotions control risk , the successful traders have methods /systems which trigger less of the amygdala reactions and are avoiding the arousal of emotions.

The 5 % could include vendors and costs.

https://www.wired.com/2007/03/security-matters0322/
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:25pm   #7

Joined May 2003
barjon started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by foroom lluzers View Post
But the risk is controlled by the amygdala , the amygdala is responsible for processing base emotions that come from sensory inputs, like anger, avoidance, defensiveness and fear. The emotions control risk , the successful traders have methods /systems which trigger less of the amygdala reactions and are avoiding the arousal of emotions.

The 5 % could include vendors and costs.

https://www.wired.com/2007/03/security-matters0322/

bllx
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:12pm   #8

Joined Feb 2012
The FL virus infected another thread ?
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: itspossible , darktone , wackypete2 , Charlton