Advanced Traders Workshop

wata

I"ve been in there room for 3 weeks (free demo ) and was wondering if anyone has taken there course and what your experiences have been with them

Thanks
wata

Well I finished the 4 week free demo. The good and the bad. The early morning premarket by Jerry Simmons was helpful.His drawing up of support and resistance lines was a eye opener. The moderator in the chat room does not call out trades nor does he call the setups.(In order to get this you need to pay for the course and then you are in a private room)Almost everyday I was there they were claiming 80% win rate. The system uses a fast tick chart and 2 targets(small targets) and a runner.This style of trading seems to be popular with vendors and makes it hard to verify results. I decided to pass on this course.

wata

About a year ago I bought the 101A course from the Advanced Trading Workshop. I paid quite a bit for it, but since it has doubled in price.

First off, I do not recommend this to anyone, unless you want to waste your money. Though to be fair I'll give both the positives and negatives of what I saw.

If you sign up for the free trial, you will be consistently harassed by Brian, who is the salesperson of the room or ATW Help. He will keep trying to invite you into a private session and give you a sales pitch "we want to get to know you better". Also, every morning both Andy and Brian try to make a sales pitch to everyone on the free trial and those who have already bought the course because everyone is stuck in the same room. I feel sorry for those who bought the course because to hear the same thing every day is very frustrating.

When you buy the 101A course you get three months of the same room that you were in on the trial, but you still see the same thing. You also get access to the 101A course only room, but I can tell you nothing much ever happens in there and what you see in the free trial room you also see in the 101A course owners only room, even though they tell you that more is revealed in the 101A only room, not true.

With the purchase of the course you also get access to the video archive, which has quite a few videos, I think around 150, it goes back about 2 1/2 years. Most of the videos are a repeat of the same thing. If you see it one time you will not learn anymore than that, the stuff is very easy to understand, I don't understand why they need 20 videos on each subject. The videos that you can watch on the free trial is pretty much what you will see when you buy the course, so don't be fooled when they say they have so much more training on this "subject" when you buy the course, because that is just not true. If you understand it and can explain it to a stranger, then watching the video a couple more times will not help. I say this because Andy says everybody should watch the videos several times each, but it will not help you become a better trader, people may wish it were that easy. Also, you lose access to the videos after the 3 months is up, which in my opinion is kind of a scam, because you bought the course and they don't let you have access to the vidoes anymore after you paid for them, unless of course you keep paying for the free trial room which runs about $200/month.

Now to the systems. With the course you get several systems, including the AC300, AC400, ACRX, ACChannel, and several more, but those are the main ones. I can tell you don't buy the course because of the systems, you will be very disappointed. All the systems are is just a moving average, Bollinger bands, donchian channels, and the MACD. You can look at their charts and replicate the results if you wanted to. The colors are nothing special either, it's just based off of the MACD, and the arrows are based on on two extreme close in a row, again nothing you can't figure out. They also make such a big deal about divergence trading. If you trade a pivot divergence, meaning two pivots it's about a 50% win rate, so pretty random, maybe a triple pivot divergence is about 60%. It's a joke when Andy goes on webinars to make a sales pitch and goes through a day showing how effective that technique is, but after the fact and real time are completely different. Of course after the day is done if you see a divergence trade it is always a winner, because the divergence disappears if it was a losing trade, you'll know what I mean if you watch the markets real time.

They also put an emphasis on VSA or volume spread analysis. The problem is they look at 1 minute charts. In really volatile and fast moving markets a 1 minute might make sense, but most of the time is does not. If you focus on a 1 minute chart you will get destroyed. You will see a lot of reversals and most will fail, and the ones that don't you still won't make much. If you look at enough bars of course you will see some buying or selling, so if one bar out of twenty bars shows some selling your going to sell, I can tell you that's a bad idea. Even with other confluence it still isn't that great.

On the positive side some people really like the ATW. They will stand up and tell you how much value there is in the ATW and the course is way under priced, Andy will repeat this over and over again. BTW, the 101A course lists for $4,995. It's funny how those same people still need to subscribe to the trading room after years.

My final thought and advice is to not to waste your time or money on the ATW. I wish I had read a review like this then I could have avoided that pitfall also. If you really want, sign up for the 30 day free trial, nobodies stopping you everyone has a free choice of what he or she does. It's your money and if you want to waste it go ahead. Most of the stuff out there is garbage, don't get me wrong, some are okay, but very few.

For more opinions on the Advanced Trading Workshop visit:

http://traderopinions.com/indicators/advanced-trading-workshop-aka/

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking about buying into the program. What you wrote rings familiar with what I know. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

I have to agree with Alexei Sayle's observation that anyone who uses the term “Workshop” outside of the context of light engineering is “a ****”

I signed up before I read all this (more $$ than brains) about 3 weeks ago. Still trying to learn from the videos haven't gone to the trading room yet.
I can tell you that there are so many support/resistance zones, pivot points, fib levels, etc. etc. cluttering up the chart that you can make a good case for any price.
If you look at swings to the left of the hard-right-edge there is always a zone or area where a price turned but I'm not so sure if that's meaningful since there are (like I said) so many of these zones at nearly every level.
But, to be fair, I haven't joined the trading room yet and haven't watched all the videos yet so maybe it will all work out for the best.
Will post again if I can make any money with this (or I can't).

I signed up before I read all this (more $$ than brains) about 3 weeks ago. Still trying to learn from the videos haven't gone to the trading room yet.
I can tell you that there are so many support/resistance zones, pivot points, fib levels, etc. etc. cluttering up the chart that you can make a good case for any price.
If you look at swings to the left of the hard-right-edge there is always a zone or area where a price turned but I'm not so sure if that's meaningful since there are (like I said) so many of these zones at nearly every level.
But, to be fair, I haven't joined the trading room yet and haven't watched all the videos yet so maybe it will all work out for the best.
Will post again if I can make any money with this (or I can't).

Update May31, 2013

Well, I entered the trading room and "looked over Jerry's shoulder", as they promise in their sales pitch. They also promise that he has a win-rate of 85%, which you would expect from a system this expensive. He is very personable and will answer any question that you might have no matter how basic without making you feel foolish. He calls out trades as either "room-trades" or "discretionary" trades. The difference being that the "room-trades" have more things going for them and, theoretically, have a better chance of succeeding.
He uses fibs, breakouts, timing windows, H&S, patterns, etc. etc. It's all very impressive.
For a $10,000 account, trading 1 contract, he uses 15 tick stop loss and 10 tick profit target. This would be fine if he, in fact, had an 85% win-rate but, unfortunatly, it's about 50% in reality. In other words, I've been watching my trading capital slowly recede over a two month period.
His trades usually get in on a breakout which eliminates many bad trades but you end up getting in at the top or bottom of a swing and then watching the trade go against you most of the time. Hopefully it reverses again and goes in the right direction but many times it does so only after hitting your 15 tick stop loss.
Also it requires about 6 to 8 hours of: pre-market orientation, trading room and "wrap-up". With your finger on the trigger for 6 of the 8 hours each trading day. I don't know how many people can stay glued to their monitor for that long. The minute you leave, while he's trading, you could miss out on a winner.
Bottom line is that I'm losing money and sitting in front of my computer for long periods of time and it's VERY expensive and they want $500/mo to continue after the 6 month "buy-in" period (like that's going to happen!)