How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading?

This is a discussion on How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; My opinion after three years of trading experience is that its the trading system which is more important than the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 22, 2013, 7:04pm   #76
Joined May 2013
Re: How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading?

My opinion after three years of trading experience is that its the trading system which is more important than the amount of money which should be deposited to trade in the forex market.
Babyblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 11:07pm   #77

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblush View Post
My opinion after three years of trading experience is that its the trading system which is more important than the amount of money which should be deposited to trade in the forex market.
bloody great answer!!! You can start with £100 or you could start with £10,000 you will lose it or return on it. When I knew I had a system worth trading, I put down £300 and I'll be damned if I've ever topped it up since.
£300 was at the time, my maximum drawdown. I knew I would have been doing something wrong had I lost it. I didn't.

Of course I've blown a couple of accounts, but that was when I didn't have a system..not so now.
Sound advice Babyblush
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: neil , Shadowman540 , trigger
Old May 24, 2013, 1:40am   #78
Joined Jan 2013

Quote:
I don't think so. The more money you have, the more you can diversify, the more losses you can take without abandoning your trading.

More money means a greater staying power. A good trading system is a must, but systems fail, that's why you need a good cushion.
small_beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 1:56am   #79
Joined Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by small_beer View Post
I don't think so. The more money you have, the more you can diversify, the more losses you can take without abandoning your trading.

More money means a greater staying power. A good trading system is a must, but systems fail, that's why you need a good cushion.
True. But having all that money can inevitably lead to taking greater risks and therefore losing (or winning) more. And that's the biggest point I think, winning small or big, losing small or big it's all relevant. Being level headed about your trading is what matters. A win is a win, a lose is a lose regardless of the amount.
brettly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 12:44am   #80
Joined Jul 2005

How much? For starters, not less than 5 grand and you need to be prepared to lose it all without affecting your lifestyle. Otherwise, don't even think about it.

But I agree, more is better.
rob_klo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 11:12am   #81

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettly View Post
True. But having all that money can inevitably lead to taking greater risks and therefore losing (or winning) more. And that's the biggest point I think, winning small or big, losing small or big it's all relevant. Being level headed about your trading is what matters. A win is a win, a lose is a lose regardless of the amount.
work on your drawdown, know what that amount is and size accordingly. If you can trade 300 and turn that around, you can trade higher amounts. if you cant, then that cushion you talk of, will likely just be stuffing. Anyone who says you need 5k im sorry but that's just wrong.
If you can trade 300, then that will multiply. of course you wont be able to live off it, but it will save you many thousands if that system of yours was wrong.
when you know you can, then you can add. Try to use the strategy to make the money, trade off the broker and you will likely never touch that initial capital of yours.
It worked for me, so thats the only reason why i say this. Give it a try brettly.
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:44am   #82
Joined May 2013

The start up cost is relatively low in the forex trading business and thus anyone can get started with few hundreds and earn good income provided they have some realistic targets which can be reached easily.
Babyblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Splitlink
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:32am   #83
Joined Nov 2001

Quote:
The start up cost is relatively low in the forex trading business and thus anyone can get started with few hundreds and earn good income provided they have some realistic targets which can be reached easily.
Your last line is where most fail. The possible profits are so tempting that novice traders are inclined to go for them, instead of taking more modest amounts.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: trigger
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:10pm   #84
Joined Feb 2012

Most traders can end up as millionaires if they start right and correctly capitalised. All they need to do this is start with a billion, and don't trade for too long.
The Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tar , cablemonster , trigger
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:23am   #85
Joined Apr 2013

$500 is a good start for new traders . They should check their skills with this money either they can manage this or not. If they do well in trading they should invest a good amount to get good profits. Low amount do not supports to get smart income.
resistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:45pm   #86
Joined Aug 2013
I think it depends on the individual and the amount of money they wish to risk. Normally firms have financial criteria that clients have to meet before trading.
yellowfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:33am   #87
Joined Oct 2013
I will first trade with bonus money which broker gives. Sort out the forex brokers like Greenvautl Fx's We Deposti You Trade bonus offer which was introduced some time back. This kind of offers surely benefit beginners like us. So, no investment is actually required for trading first time. It is better that way.
pro_fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:09am   #88
Joined Sep 2012
I open my first account in ******** with $10. It's a micro-account. And I think if you want to earn some profit for spending for your personal needs. $500 or higher is better.
bigmistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:19am   #89
Joined Apr 2013
Agree. If you think about the risk .5-1.5% per trade. $1000 seems to be a great starting point. ie 5-15$.
With multiple trades more equity is obviously a better thing.
brettly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:16pm   #90
Joined Jul 2013
Another great thread, so as far as account size goes we only have to put up an amount to cover our max potential draw down, cover margins in the max number of possible trades we would take given our money management rules on total exposure?, and have our "actuall max account",earning interest instead of sat there doing nothing.

Last edited by Shadowman540; Nov 3, 2013 at 5:49pm. Reason: Didn't read well
Shadowman540 is offline   Reply With Quote