How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading?

This is a discussion on How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by brettly So a real account will? In a real account you have the opportunity to learn how ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:41pm   #61
Joined Jul 2012
Re: How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettly View Post
So a real account will?
In a real account you have the opportunity to learn how to trade. That is the only way you will learn.
TheLastBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:31pm   #62

4 Posts
Joined Mar 2013

open an account with real money and start trading. it can be opened with as little as a few thousand. you will learn much more trading real money than paper trading. find out your pain thresholds in the market.
big tymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:51pm   #63

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastBear View Post
In a real account you have the opportunity to learn how to trade. That is the only way you will learn.
the real account will give you the real highs and lows of trading, but your demo should be there to test your strategy. ridiculous idea to test your strategy using a real account.
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: WR1
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:27am   #64
Joined Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by big tymer View Post
open an account with real money and start trading. it can be opened with as little as a few thousand. you will learn much more trading real money than paper trading. find out your pain thresholds in the market.
How would 1 thousand go? If you traded 1-2% per trade surely that would be enough for testing the waters. Yes you could get a bad run but then you can determine the mistakes you'd be making
brettly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:34am   #65
Joined Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaguti View Post
the real account will give you the real highs and lows of trading, but your demo should be there to test your strategy. ridiculous idea to test your strategy using a real account.
It is ridiculous to test your strategy in a fake account. The only way you will truly find out if you and your strategy work is in a real account, but I understand that most people prefer to play in the sandbox and trade demo...then again most traders fail.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:17pm   #66

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
It is ridiculous to test your strategy in a fake account. The only way you will truly find out if you and your strategy work is in a real account, but I understand that most people prefer to play in the sandbox and trade demo...then again most traders fail.
great idea LastBear, fund a real account, lose a grand, start again, lose another grand etc etc how many strategies are there, how many variables within that strategy?
pathetic
Thanks! The following members like this post: Shadowman540
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:35am   #67
Joined Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaguti View Post
great idea LastBear, fund a real account, lose a grand, start again, lose another grand etc etc how many strategies are there, how many variables within that strategy?
pathetic
You sure are pathetic. Why would you try it with 1K? This just shows that you are not competent to create a strategy which functions. You can test your strategy in a micro-account and it will cost you less than $100. Of course you need to have two functioning brain cells which communicate with each other in order to do so.

Listen, you can fool around in your demo account as long as you want. Nobody asks you to change. I simply disagree with testing a strategy in a fake environment. Only a real account will show you if you and your strategy will be successful.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:51pm   #68

1 Posts
Joined Apr 2013

The true test of any trading strategy/approach is of course to use your own hard earned cash. When you've got money on the line you would be amazed how much it can change your emotional approach to the task at hand. That said, anybody who didn't test out their trading strategies with either a demo account or on paper is unwise. There's no sense in losing money for the sake of it
Smartertrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: TheLastBear
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:59pm   #69
Joined Mar 2013

Quote:
You sure are pathetic. Why would you try it with 1K? This just shows that you are not competent to create a strategy which functions. You can test your strategy in a micro-account and it will cost you less than $100. Of course you need to have two functioning brain cells which communicate with each other in order to do so.

Listen, you can fool around in your demo account as long as you want. Nobody asks you to change. I simply disagree with testing a strategy in a fake environment. Only a real account will show you if you and your strategy will be successful.
Because if the money is not large enough to feel it. It is like trade with demo account. You have to feel the lost then the emotions come in.
Cheers.
pc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:39am   #70

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc62 View Post
Because if the money is not large enough to feel it. It is like trade with demo account. You have to feel the lost then the emotions come in.
Interesting.....so different people have a different level of "feel" so for some, it could be a massive figure.....no?

It is like saying one needs to "feel" the pain before one starts to invite the emotions.....a wise person/smart one will know that there will be LOSS/PAIN before he even starts, so why would one want to experience pain as he already know there will be pain? Why place your hand on top of the fire to see how it feels?

And how does getting the "emotions" involved makes any progress in ones thinking? Can one really THINK CLEARLY under the emotions?.....more importantly, does emotions help one to succeed in trading?
Triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:19am   #71
Joined Jul 2012

Quote:
Cheers.
I disagree on the amount required, but it comes down to the individual. I think an intelligent new trader can achieve it with $100. Those who are not able to trade with a small account will not be able to handle a bigger account.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:22pm   #72

Joined Apr 2013

I started with $1000....
and for any new trader, this is more than enough because before you get the feel
of live trading, the balance will be almost half of this amount.
Giovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:05pm   #73
Joined Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish View Post
Interesting.....so different people have a different level of "feel" so for some, it could be a massive figure.....no?

It is like saying one needs to "feel" the pain before one starts to invite the emotions.....a wise person/smart one will know that there will be LOSS/PAIN before he even starts, so why would one want to experience pain as he already know there will be pain? Why place your hand on top of the fire to see how it feels?

And how does getting the "emotions" involved makes any progress in ones thinking? Can one really THINK CLEARLY under the emotions?.....more importantly, does emotions help one to succeed in trading?
NO, emotion don't help you suceed! but it can very much fail you. Most traders failed because fear most of the time. Emotion is my biggest enemy. That is the different between real account and the demo account. the fear and the joy.
Cheers.
pc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:30am   #74
Joined Jul 2012

Quote:
NO, emotion don't help you suceed! but it can very much fail you. Most traders failed because fear most of the time. Emotion is my biggest enemy. That is the different between real account and the demo account. the fear and the joy.
Cheers.
I think as long as you feel fear and joy you will continue to fail as a trader. Fear is the lack of knowledge about the market as well as the lack of trust in your strategy.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:19pm   #75

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
I think as long as you feel fear and joy you will continue to fail as a trader. Fear is the lack of knowledge about the market as well as the lack of trust in your strategy.
I agree with fear, not so sure about joy though. I dont feel afraid of losing, but I always feel joy, or at least satisfaction, of a winning trade. I wonder could we ever not feel an element of emotion, and fear and happiness are the cornerstones of our emotions?