How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading?

This is a discussion on How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; well i think you need around £300 - 400 min, if you cant aford that trading is not for you. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:32pm   #9
Joined Aug 2008
well i think you need around £300 - 400 min, if you cant aford that trading is not for you. most brokers expect around £500 when you open an account.

it also depends on the amount of returns you want to genarate.

it might help thinking in terms %. is it posible to make a 100% out ur capital? How much do you want to make in how much time? and how much % do you think you can earn?
singh2jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:39am   #10
Joined Apr 2009
hi there !!

I have learned trading using the trading company's money called play money and then I started my trading with real money with minimum deposit of $20 and traded the markets with the maximum bet amount for a ‘per point’ trade is $2 per point. For a 'basic' bet $10
demeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:43pm   #11

Joined Jun 2009
hey

i think in this fast world you dont need such amount to open a live trading account. now you can start from just 1 usd dollar and you canwithdraw your money any time from your trading account. its only take 48 to 72 hour to transfer your money from your trading account to your bank account.

[
QUOTE=singh2jatt;678744]well i think you need around £300 - 400 min, if you cant aford that trading is not for you. most brokers expect around £500 when you open an account.

it also depends on the amount of returns you want to genarate.

it might help thinking in terms %. is it posible to make a 100% out ur capital? How much do you want to make in how much time? and how much % do you think you can earn?[/QUOTE]
evergreen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:23pm   #12
Joined Jan 2009
This is a bit like the pension question - how much money do you need to have saved in order to have a comfortable pension? Answer - significantly more than you would think. Same with trading.. if you intend to make it a career, you need $100k+ to have any kind of meaningful CONSISTENT return. 20-30 pct a year return, which is exceptional, will give you $20-$30k, not enough for most people to live off (after taxes and everything else). If it's just for fun, then $1,000 will probably do, but at that level don't risk any more than 10 pct of your equity on one trade (even that is fairly kamikaze).
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:54am   #13
Joined Jul 2008
re: How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading?

Nothing. Start with a free welcome bonus of 50 euros by deltastock or $25 by eforex and if you can't build it up from there, you can't do it even with a million.
pcindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:59pm   #14
Joined Oct 2010
Re: How Much Money Does a Trader Need to Start Trading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2W Bot View Post
Going live
Eventually, there will come a time when you’ll want to see if you can replicate the millions you’ve made paper trading using real money. Many brokers, especially spread betting firms, enable their customers to start small so they can have exposure to live markets without the risk of losing their shirts. Some brokers will even credit your account with an opening balance of £50 to £100, or match whatever you deposit (up to a specified maximum). So, when people say that you only need £100 or less to start trading – they are correct. However, there are limitations. For example, you couldn’t open an account with a direct market access broker (DMA) and trade U.S. equities or futures with an account this small. Furthermore, you must be realistic about the probable returns. Fantasies about turning £100 into £1 million in a few months are just that – fantasies. Equally, you’re highly unlikely to generate a fulltime income from a £1,000 account or, even, a £5,000 one. On paper it’s possible and, doubtless, a Google search will uncover one or two traders who have turned small accounts into millions or even billions. However, unless you’re an exceptionally gifted trader or a brilliant clairvoyant, the probability is that – at best - you might double or triple a £100 or £1,000 account over a number of months. To be fair, this would be a great result. Those that achieve it often try to replicate the trick with larger sums of money. For many, scaling up to trade bigger ‘size’ in order to reap greater profits, proves to be a more difficult task than they expect.
You are correct! There is an exception to the comment in bold, though: if a trader is working with a group of other traders using the same trading method, the capital can be spread over several trades for maximum returns. But as a lone ranger, the sentence in bold is pot on!

There was time a friend - a brilliant trader - was generating gargantuan returns on a weekly basis because a group of traders were generating the trades using his method...somehow they all parted ways...and ever since, my friend can only manage 100% returns yearly on a six digits account, less % on bigger accounts.

Last edited by timsk; Dec 6, 2010 at 3:16pm. Reason: Housekeeping
texpert is offline Trading system vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:44pm   #15

Joined Sep 2008

As for how much you need to do this for a living ! Im thinking about 25k to start , if your looking for additional income £500 on a spread betting account should do it !
Talbs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:46pm   #16

Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bund Gekko View Post
As for how much you need to do this for a living ! Im thinking about 25k to start , if your looking for additional income £500 on a spread betting account should do it !
Some of my students have started with the minimum required to trade options with the broker I recommend. That used to be $3,500.
HowardCohodas is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote