What trigger(s) do you use to get into a trade ?

This is a discussion on What trigger(s) do you use to get into a trade ? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; I prefer momentum wih a second trigger which is EMA, i never use an EMA larger than 20 because the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 25, 2008, 5:37pm   #25

Joined May 2008
I prefer momentum wih a second trigger which is EMA, i never use an EMA larger than 20 because the longer the period the less sensitivity it can have to short therm movements.
I do these because i do swing trading.
fayalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 8:34am   #26
Joined Feb 2007
hi yawl,just a sugestion but why dont people post charts with there explanations??it would be helpful for us newbies.
jonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 11:50am   #27

Joined Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonj View Post
hi yawl,just a sugestion but why dont people post charts with there explanations??it would be helpful for us newbies.
Price was in a BB squeeze (purple dots) obviously caused by lack of overnight volume/movement.
Price had started moving when the squeeze fired off Long at 6.30/7am (turquoise dots and green momentum bars)),
Placed a BuyStop at today's pivot, target R1

(Once I was Long I also placed a Stop & Reverse SellStop just below the Pivot. This obviously wasn't triggered)

Off to the pub....

(NB: This was obviously a trade from few weeks ago, before the Rainy season kicked in, so it was pretty safe to go Long. Of course this month, I'm looking for trades to the Short-side 'cos of all the rain)
Attached Thumbnails
quiet-night-pub.gif  

karl6666: 'Why doesnt anybody like you R_E, is it because you shout?'
rathcoole_exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: jonj
Old Jun 16, 2008, 4:53pm   #28

Joined Jun 2008
Ive tried this and been successful a few times. This is of course not doable all the time but waiting til the Dow is at an extreme oversold level for the day.... usually marked out by a few bullsih divergances where you see buyers have rallied at lows of the day and had more power than bears.

take today..... first bullish CS at 14.50pm
Second rally at 15.05pm.... EXNTRY at 12,220... exit at 12,260.... US usually has a lot of double tops and head and shoulders. Ive been watching the Dow for a month and a half straight every trading day.

Of course this is all confirmed with MACD and momentum to gather the speed of price changes. MACD set at 12 and 22 based on Alexander Elders recommendations. I find it works better than a 26.

Is this idiocy or is this a semi-good idea?
Opposite applies when the market is bearish...

Edit: And there you have it for today. Nice head and shoulders pattern just finished emerging.

Last edited by Carlosyabrudy; Jun 16, 2008 at 5:08pm.
Carlosyabrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 6:07pm   #29

2 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I use swing charts for set-ups, wait for a pull-back against the trend, then watch the daily bars. My entry trigger is the market going back in the direction of the main trend by breaking yesterday's bar. I got about one trade a week, on average, during 2007; less during 2008.
studyolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:47am   #30

Joined Aug 2009
For futures trading, my primary means for exact trade entry final determination is a statistically set order flow transition . Through tracking Cumulative Delta at all times for the futures instruments I trade (ES, ZB, DAX, QM, etc), I will never enter my trade for the various set-ups I use until my order flow transition criteria is met.

If I am going to initiate a LONG trade, I want to be sure I join the market into a proper transitional change within the order flow conviction. Once the order flow transitions from sellers having control to buyers having control, to a defined criteria, then I am ready to fire off my LONG entry at that exact moment. I handle LONG or SHORT entries with the same statistical criteria that I have quantified for a proper order flow transition. I feel joining measured momentum at the exact time of entry is a critical aspect to higher probability trading.
FulcrumTrader is offline Trading system vendor   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Fast Eddy
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:38am   #31

Joined Apr 2009
Different markets, different criteria.

But always wait until volume confirms the move.

Rains or shines.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:26pm   #32
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by studyolic View Post
I use swing charts for set-ups, wait for a pull-back against the trend, then watch the daily bars. My entry trigger is the market going back in the direction of the main trend by breaking yesterday's bar. I got about one trade a week, on average, during 2007; less during 2008.
If you are happy with one trade per week, you need go no further. The pullback system is, IMO, the only way to go. I don't like the risk taken, via SL distances, that daily bars
entail. In fact, hourly bars are too risky for me, so I use a lower TF. That doesn't matter, though. Everyone has to trade with the character that each of us has and each TF has its pullbacks.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tenbobtrader , Fast Eddy , cryten