What's the Difference Between Stop Loss and Limit Orders?

This is a discussion on What's the Difference Between Stop Loss and Limit Orders? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; You can also have a stop limit, which is where you place a stop order but say you will only ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:27am   #17
Joined Jul 2009
re: What's the Difference Between Stop Loss and Limit Orders?

You can also have a stop limit, which is where you place a stop order but say you will only give so much slippage...i.e...working a stop at 5850 on Ftse with a limit of 2 tic's, so 5848 and no more, this is a very dangerous because if the market gaps by trading say 5851 then next print is 5847 then you wont be stopped out. I would recomend that never use a stop limit for this reason.

Last edited by timsk; Jun 8, 2012 at 4:52pm. Reason: Removed quote of deleted post.
ProSpreads is offline Trading system vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:57am   #18

Joined Jun 2008
when it hits your limit you are the dogs when it hits your stop the computer goes through the window
jeffre4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: IceMan
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:29pm   #19
Joined Jul 2013
Good question. The first gets you out of a trade and the other gets you in. Stop Losses used to Close at certain price; to stop losses getting worse but also for protecting profits on winners. I use them to make sure I get out at worst-case scenario, but choose your levels carefully – not too close to prior lows/highs or you might get spiked out. Limit Orders are to Open at a certain price, or better. They’re good for getting a certain price (you won’t pay worse), but you’ve got no guarantee of getting into trade unless market trades there. Hope this helps.
CityMasterTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:49pm   #20

3 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
learning how to set my stop-losses properly was one of the biggest benefits for me as far as loss prevention. When i first started my biggest losses came when i was trading on margin and didn't set my stop correctly.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:05am   #21

9 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
A stop order, also referred to as a stop-loss order, is an order to buy or sell a stock and A limit order is a take-profit order placed with a bank or brokerage to buy or sell a set amount of a financial instrument.
rakhi123 is offline   Reply With Quote