Which Books should a Beginner Read?

This is a discussion on Which Books should a Beginner Read? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Thermal Ebb . . .The less you know about how someone else views the markets and their ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:44pm   #61
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Re: Which Books should a Beginner Read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ebb View Post
. . .The less you know about how someone else views the markets and their strategies and so forth, the better equipped you are to make decisions and accept responsibility for your own trading decisions.
Hi TE,
Welcome to the site!

Good post and I expect many members will agree with what you say. Given that this is a FAQ in the 'New Traders' forum, most people reading it are likely to be inexperienced newbies. Nothing wrong with that of course, we've all got to start somewhere. However, it takes a massive amount of self-confidence and, even, a good measure of arrogance, for the newbie to do as you recommend in the section of your post I've quoted. I suspect very, very few people make the decision that - beyond reading books / websites and what not about the basic mechanics of trading - they're going to work everything else out for themselves without any external input. My guess is that if there are any traders out there that have actually done that - they are as rare as hens teeth.

Having said all that, your point is very valid - but it's a real catch-22 for the majority of newbies, IMO.
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:30am   #62
Joined Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2W Bot View Post
Trading in the Zone and The Disciplined Trader, both by Mark Douglas
A commonly held belief amongst many traders is that the obstacle to trading profits isn't the markets or your methodology - it's you! These books are widely regarded as essential reading to help you develop the right mindset to trade successfully.
This won't be popular, but I honestly believe Trading in the Zone is a terrible choice for a retail trader. It wasn't written with the current modern, very under capitalised retail traders in mind and you would do far better by thinking that it IS indeed you method that is flawed rather than your psychology. Growing the balls to trade a losing method is obviously a very, very, very bad combination.
random12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:52am   #63
Joined Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by random12345 View Post
This won't be popular, but I honestly believe Trading in the Zone is a terrible choice for a retail trader. It wasn't written with the current modern, very under capitalised retail traders in mind and you would do far better by thinking that it IS indeed you method that is flawed rather than your psychology. Growing the balls to trade a losing method is obviously a very, very, very bad combination.

A trader can have a very good method , but without knowing himself and his worst enemy , he can not be ready for the heat of the moment in war ................when everything in technical anylysis and set ups gets fuzzy and dubious ,the mind and emotions control everything in the heat of the moment.

The method does not control the trader , it is the mindset which comes into action , in uncertainty. Phsychology is more important and makes up 80 % of a trader.

We have inexperienced ,unskilled , amateurs , method less and clueless retail traders.They need phsychology more than a method , to hold them together under stress. , a method can not hold them together.
Discipline my self to follow only my method , cut my losses fast,admit I am wrong and my mistake ,keep losses small ,never add to a losing position,trade like a pro,there will be other better opportunities .Be nice to everybody , life is short.
15 min tlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:17pm   #64
Joined Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Having said all that, your point is very valid - but it's a real catch-22 for the majority of newbies, IMO.
You’re right. I did wonder about the benefit of offering an opinion. Advice is much easier given than taken, but by far the more valuable when earned.
Thermal Ebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:07pm   #65

2 Posts
Joined Feb 2013

No matter what they say I think that of course knowing the basics of trading is very, very important. But! You can know a lot and be not able to implement this because of the psychological issue. I do not recommend to read a lot. I think there should be an overall basics in economics so that you can understand the meaning of the events and it probable impact. And also you should cope with your emotions. As I have read in the "Trader's Psychology" book on ********** website: "A professional trader concentrates on skilled trading, but not money. Of course, first of all, this is the psychological trick, that helps to get rid of fear and greediness. It helps to keep your head in any situation and wait for the right time. " I think this is a very right thing. Anyway it brought me success so far.
Allys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:23pm   #66
Joined Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ebb View Post
I'm guessing this site is predominantly for retail traders and as such, choice of reading material is discretionary. One of the benefits pro traders have is having a largely proscribed nucleus of mandatory material which is normally substantial enough to preclude the time or energy for too many forays into the wider publishing market.

Bear in mind that book written for traders, even written by traders, are largely an exercise in self-promotion and basic product marketing. Even with good intent, there is little to choose between one experts output and another’s in terms of helping develop trading skills.

I’d go further and suggest apart from the basic mechanics of market structure, price development & discovery and operational trading mechanics, most trading books work against the best interests of the reader.

The less you know about how someone else views the markets and their strategies and so forth, the better equipped you are to make decisions and accept responsibility for your own trading decisions. There are only so many things you can say about price: it’s either moving directional (trending) or not. Everything else is a unnecessary bolt-on. Unnecessary to the reader, but vital to the author/publisher to validate publishing their ‘new’ approach/methodology/system etc.

Of course, the more complex derivatives and structured trades do require detailed explanation. But then there is the argument that retail traders shouldn’t really be palying with these asset classes and derivatives anyway.
What material would you recommend to provide information and a basic understanding of the market mechanisms then without personal views?
Steakeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 7:19pm   #67

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakeater View Post
What material would you recommend to provide information and a basic understanding of the market mechanisms then without personal views?
try John J Murphy's "Technical Analysis of the financial markets"
has everything in that book that any course will charge you a couple of grand for
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 9:38pm   #68

3 Posts
Joined May 2013

Stop Losses by Matt LeRouge - it's short and cheap but gets straight to the point and I reckon it's already Stopped me Losing hundreds of dollars!
Good luck!
newtrader10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:25pm   #69
Joined Nov 2005
Al Brooks three-book set on price action and his videos and his trading room. They cover Trends, Ranges and Reversals.
http://BrooksPriceAction.com

Cadaver Trading also good.

Last edited by Luc.Chase; Sep 12, 2013 at 9:35pm.
Luc.Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:38pm   #70
Joined Mar 2012
Noting to do with trading, but everything to do with trading.

Life of Pi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
bustech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:07pm   #71

5 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
i recommend Warren Buffett Books.
satriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:55pm   #72

7 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
"Bhagavad Gita" - Krishn readies Arjun for battle....

extremely useful for trading psychology.. and life in general
trader_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:23pm   #73
Joined Apr 2014
Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes; Belsky & Gilovich

The Secret Science of the Stock Market; Jenkins

The Profit Magic of Stock Transaction Timing; Hurst

The Geometry of Stock Market Profits; Jenkins

George Wollsten: Expert Stock Trader; Bayer
Sigma-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:45pm   #74
Joined Apr 2014
Oh, and the Kama Sutra. It'll prepare you for all the ways the market will **** you.
Sigma-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla , f2calv
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:09pm   #75

Joined Dec 2008
Golf is not a game of perfect - Bob Rotella

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golf-Game-Pe.../dp/0743492471