Which Books should a Beginner Read?

This is a discussion on Which Books should a Beginner Read? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; Try One Good Trade by Mike Bellafiore. It delves into stock trading but it sure is a motivating read! I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:48am   #46
Joined Nov 2010
Re: Which Books should a Beginner Read?

Try One Good Trade by Mike Bellafiore. It delves into stock trading but it sure is a motivating read! I started with 'Currency Trading for Dummies' though and that book was a fun way to learn all the basics.

Last edited by timsk; Dec 6, 2010 at 11:56am. Reason: Added link
littlebopip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:07am   #47

9 Posts
Joined May 2011

One Good Trade by Mike bellafiore
I'm very inspired after reading
E book avail

Last edited by timsk; Jul 4, 2011 at 3:03pm. Reason: Updated link
ShinjiOno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:33pm   #48

3 Posts
Joined Jun 2011

This was my exact question when I began my adventure in trading. I was looking for a book which could reveal the secrets for successful trading. As I read more books and got to try some of the techniques different authors suggested, I made some and lost money. However, about two years ago, I realized I need something just more than trading techniques and systems. I realized the number one factor in my success or failure is my own psychology and emotions. To learn more about myself I stumbled upon a book called:
How to Become a Successful Trader: The Trading Personality Profile: Your Key to Maximizing Your Profit with Any System by Dr. Ned Gandevani.
It was a God sent answer to my emotional issues with trading. That is still among my top favorites and most referred book to my emotional problems with trading. To make a long story short, now I think the first thing a wannabe trader should do is to know his/her personality better. Then, one can search and learn a trading system or technique which is compatible with his/her personality. Good luck!

Last edited by timsk; Jul 4, 2011 at 3:07pm. Reason: Added link
Starsptrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:02am   #49
Joined Jun 2011

T2W edit:
Please note that none of the titles listed below - or their authors - produce any results doing a search on Amazon.co.uk

Book: Higher Highs & Lower Lows
Author: Mark Bremmerland
Type: Paperback
Cost: $5.95 (most major bookstores)

Book: S&R Lines
Author: Jerry Remmel Scott
Cost: $3.95 (most major bookstores)

Book: Know Thy Exit
Author: Joyce B. Swanson
Cost: $7.95 (most major bookstores)

Book: The 1000 Yard Chart Gaze
Author: Alejandro S. Braillman
Type: Hardcover
Cost: $32.95 (if you can find it) No one has seen a copy in years.

That's the best list I can come up with.

Last edited by timsk; Jul 4, 2011 at 3:25pm. Reason: Added edit
StupidCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:27am   #50
Joined Jul 2006

For someone looking at options for the first time, I would second Natenburg (the bible for options traders) but also add Charles Cottle . . .
Options Trading: The Hidden Reality - Ri$k Doctor Guide to Position Adjustment and Hedging ("Options: Perception and Deception" & "Coulda Woulda Shoulda" revised & expanded, Printed in Color) by Charles M. Cottle
Far more examples making the theory really easy to grasp.

Last edited by timsk; Apr 9, 2013 at 10:43am. Reason: Updating link
fiftyfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:12am   #51

Joined Aug 2010

A non trading specific book that will help with getting your mentality correct is called:

Talent is Over Rated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin.

Talks about how famous businessmen, sportsmen and other successful people don't necessarily start with the skills at birth, but they come from hundreds of hours and years of practise. Much like trading!

The ethics in the book will help newer traders realise that this is not something you can learn over night, in a 2 day course or even a 4 month training programme. Mastery of anything takes a very long time!

Last edited by timsk; Feb 6, 2012 at 4:31pm. Reason: Added link
Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:08am   #52

Joined Sep 2009

I'm reading The Battle for Investment Survival by GM Loeb -> not for an exact trading method per se, however very helpful for ideas about how to proceed, if what you are doing stands a good chance of working in the markets based on author's experience. Does clue the reader to the importance of the basics of the business (cutting losses, concentrating, pyramiding, etc)

Last edited by timsk; Feb 6, 2012 at 4:35pm. Reason: Added link
natureboy is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:31am   #53

6 Posts
Joined Oct 2012

Investment Psychology Explained by Martin Pring is awesome by way of mental attitudes to inculcate. God knows investment is one-half attitude.

Last edited by timsk; Dec 14, 2012 at 3:24pm. Reason: Updating link
holenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:58pm   #54
Joined Oct 2012

Day Trading For Dummies by Ann C. Logue is a great book.

Last edited by timsk; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:32am. Reason: Monthly housekeeping
avtardhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:55pm   #55
Joined Sep 2006
Reminisces of a Stock Operator (link in the 1st post on P1 of this thread) is great and highly entertaining, and is one for soul searching etc, but the basic messages from what I can make out, if it's going up then buy it, if it's going down then sell it. Also, he makes a very valid point that markets and positions are ALWAYS prey to govt intervention, and you can never predict what form this will take.
I cannot comment on the others.

Trading in the Zone (also linked in the 1st post) is awesome because it explains the mechanics of how markets work, how the same trading set up can sometimes fail (using an understanding of volume/orders etc and not airy fairy psycholgical stuff), and just what having 'an edge' really means in cold trading reality.

Last edited by timsk; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:36am. Reason: Monthly housekeeping
bootsyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:40pm   #56

2 Posts
Joined Aug 2012

as a direct day-trading book, Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street's Champion Trader by Martin Schwartz is a great read.

other books i have found very useful in the way i approach and frame the markets have been Attacks by Erwin Rommel, Logical Chess: Move by Move: Every Move Explained by Irving Chernev, and Zen in the Art of Archery: Training the Mind and Body to Become One by Eugen Herrigel.

Last edited by timsk; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:46am.
trevor+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:45pm   #57
Joined Apr 2011
Trading Currency Cross Rates Proven Trading Strategies from a Leading International Currency Trader and a Noted Expert on Futures and Options by Gary Klopfenstein and Jon Stein.

The Hour Between Dog and Wolf: Risk-Taking, Gut Feelings and the Biology of Boom and Bust by John Coates

The Day Trader's Bible by Richard D. Wyckoff

Forex Price Action Scalping: an in-depth look into the field of professional scalping by Bob Volman
Discipline my self to follow only my method , cut my losses fast,admit I am wrong and my mistake ,keep losses small ,never add to a losing position,trade like a pro,there will be other better opportunities .Be nice to everybody , life is short.

Last edited by timsk; Apr 9, 2013 at 10:47am. Reason: Monthly housekeeping (merging posts)
15 min tlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:49am   #58
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002

A gentle reminder folks . . .

1. If you're thinking of contributing to the thread - and please do - only list books that haven't been listed already.
2. If you can't resist adding your voice of support to existing recommendations and you want your post to stand, please add insightful, instructive and helpful comments about what you liked about the book(s)!
3. Please provide a link to your book(s) of choice in the T2W Book Reviews section or, failing that, to an e-retailer like Amazon

Thanks,
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:28am   #59
NVP

Joined Jun 2004

Intermarket Analysis: Profiting from Global Market Relationships by John J. Murphy

Last edited by timsk; Apr 9, 2013 at 10:20am. Reason: Adding link
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:00pm   #60
Joined Feb 2013

I'm guessing this site is predominantly for retail traders and as such, choice of reading material is discretionary. One of the benefits pro traders have is having a largely proscribed nucleus of mandatory material which is normally substantial enough to preclude the time or energy for too many forays into the wider publishing market.

Bear in mind that book written for traders, even written by traders, are largely an exercise in self-promotion and basic product marketing. Even with good intent, there is little to choose between one experts output and another’s in terms of helping develop trading skills.

I’d go further and suggest apart from the basic mechanics of market structure, price development & discovery and operational trading mechanics, most trading books work against the best interests of the reader.

The less you know about how someone else views the markets and their strategies and so forth, the better equipped you are to make decisions and accept responsibility for your own trading decisions. There are only so many things you can say about price: it’s either moving directional (trending) or not. Everything else is a unnecessary bolt-on. Unnecessary to the reader, but vital to the author/publisher to validate publishing their ‘new’ approach/methodology/system etc.

Of course, the more complex derivatives and structured trades do require detailed explanation. But then there is the argument that retail traders shouldn’t really be palying with these asset classes and derivatives anyway.
Thermal Ebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk , cablemonster