Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.?

This is a discussion on Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; SHORT ANSWER One manís meat . . . Each market has its own characteristics. Which one is best for you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:35pm   #1
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Dec 2004
Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.?

SHORT ANSWER

One manís meat . . .
Each market has its own characteristics. Which one is best for you is down to personal choice. What one trader perceives as a feature or benefit of trading their chosen market, another trader will perceive as being a reason for avoiding it like the plague. For example, U.S equities traders will argue that they can trade any one of thousands of stocks listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) or the Nasdaq. One of the benefits of this is that on flat choppy days, when the markets as a whole are bobbing about in a tight range, there will always be some stocks that are trending strongly, both up and down. As a rule of thumb, most traders prefer to trade trending Ďinstrumentsí (explained in the Long Answer), rather than flat, directionless ones.

. . . is another manís poison
On the other side of the coin are futures traders, who tend to view all the above as a huge headache! For them, looking for stocks that are trending can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. They maintain that trading one or two equity index futures is much simpler. (Not easier necessarily, just simpler!) They can really get in tune with their instrument(s) of choice and donít have to spend hours each day just hunting for possible candidates to trade. Even with a shortlist of twenty or so stocks from the thousands available, tracking them all in real time can be problematic.

Focus on one Ė two at most
Itís all too common for new traders to start trading one market because thatís what their mate trades or because of some misguided belief that itís easier to trade one market than it is another. There is a view that really good traders can make consistent profits trading any market. This may or may not be true. What is certain is that the majority of successful traders focus on one or two markets at most and, very often, just trade a handful of instruments within those markets. Follow their lead Ė at least in the early days while youíre finding your feet. Sifting through the available options to decide which market has your name on it will take time, but it will be well worth your while.

Last edited by timsk; Oct 5, 2010 at 1:56pm. Reason: Updating
T2W Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:35pm   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Dec 2004
What Should I trade?

T2W Bot started this thread LONG ANSWER

What are the options?
The main markets can be split into four generic groups. By far the biggest of these is the foreign exchange market, referred to as the ‘Forex’ market, or simply as FX. How big is big? Globally, allegedly, in excess of 3 trillion U.S. dollars is traded every single day! As well as being the biggest, it’s also the most popular among retail traders – i.e. typical T2W members trading from home. But – and this is a big but – size and popularity doesn’t necessarily make it easier to trade!

The next two most popular markets are equities (i.e. stocks and shares) and futures. Of the equities markets, on T2W, U.S. and U.K. equities compete for pole position, the former being especially popular with day traders. Futures markets are split into two groups: equity index futures and commodity futures.

Indices such as the FTSE 100 in the U.K or the Dow Jones in the U.S. are not tradable instruments. (The term ‘instrument’ is a generic term referring to a specific stock or commodity etc. For example, BP is an instrument in the U.K. equities market. The e-mini S&P 500 [ES] contract is an instrument in the U.S. equity index futures market etc.) Equity index futures are especially popular as they effectively bypass this problem and allow traders to speculate on the movement of an entire index, as opposed to just individual stocks that make up the index.

Commodity futures are sub-divided into 5 categories: Energy – e.g. oil & natural gas, Metals – e.g. copper & gold, Livestock – e.g. pork bellies & feeder cattle, Grains – e.g. soybeans & rice and, finally, ‘Softs’ – e.g. orange juice & cotton.

At the bottom of the pile, at least in terms of popularity among T2W members, are the Money Markets, e.g. Eurodollars, bunds, bonds, interest rates and swaps etc. These are favoured by institutional traders working for banks, hedge funds and proprietary trading firms.

Deciding which of these markets - and which instrument(s) to trade within each market - is a matter of personal choice. All have their pros and cons. Here are half a dozen ideas to help you make an informed decision about which market is best for you . . .

Help is at hand here on T2W . . .
Read the Essentials Of First Steps Sticky as it contains a lot of essential information for new traders. Also, it touches on the question in hand in post #2 of the thread under the section entitled: ‘Where Do I Go from Here?’ Next, familiarise yourself with all the different markets and learn as much as possible about each one. Most of them have forums or sub-forums in the’ Forex Markets’ and ‘Financial Markets’ blue forum categories of the site. Read any of their ‘Essentials’ Stickies and then check out the Articles section of the site. This will have contributions about the markets that interest you the most. Try to get to the core of what makes each market tick. In the words of the famous investor Peter Lynch, ‘Never invest in an idea you can’t illustrate with a crayon’.

Get advice from experienced traders
Look out for other traders on T2W who – as far as you can tell – appear to know and understand their market well. Besides reading their posts, you can click on their username and read their profile. This often provides details about how long they’ve been trading and where their experience lies. Ask them questions about their market, either via posting to the boards if appropriate, or by contacting them privately via PM or e-mail. Find out firsthand what they like and dislike about their market, what its pro’s and con’s are and what advice they may have for a new trader looking to get started in that market.

You, your knowledge and your interests
What are your interests? When asked why they trade the market they do, many traders will answer that their market is one they like, understand and are comfortable with. This is a more sensible approach than just jumping on the latest band wagon and trading the same market as your neighbour, brother-in-law or the bloke you met last night in the pub. Prior to the .com bubble in 2000, traders were drawn to the equities markets like moths to a flame. Everyone knew someone making a killing in the stock market or heard about someone doing it via the media. Heed the wise words of Warren Buffet who advises, ‘Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is. You can’t buy what is popular and do well’. So, don’t just jump on the latest bandwagon with everyone else; take the time to research the options properly to find the right market for you.

Your personal circumstances
Be practical and consider your personal circumstances. Which time zone do you live in? How much money and how much time will you be able to commit to trading? If you live in L.A., then you probably won’t want to day trade European indices or stocks! Similarly, if you live in Europe but work 9 – 5, then day trading European indices or stocks may also prove difficult. However, if indices and stocks are what float your boat, consider the U.S. market as their cash session doesn’t close until 9.00pm U.K. time.

Be a master of one - rather than a Jack of all trades
Be wary of trading lots of different markets – especially when you’re starting out. Whilst it’s fun to joke with friends that you’re long pork bellies, short ‘cable’ (the $USD / £GBP currency pair) and cashed out of equities – it’s probably not such a great idea in practice. As a rule of thumb, experienced traders tend to advise newbies to focus on one market and one style of trading at a time (i.e. day trading, swing trading or position trading). Trading multiple markets across different timeframes is best left to those with experience.

Dipping your toe in the water
If you haven’t done so already, sooner or later you’ll want to open a brokerage account to be able to trade. Many new traders start with spread betting accounts which offer some distinct advantages to new traders. Firstly, they cover a broad range of markets, providing you with the opportunity to ‘suck it and see’. Secondly, most – if not all of them – offer a simulated trading facility enabling you to paper trade without risking any real money. Additionally, many firms offer a facility that enables you to trade very small amounts so that if you incur losses early on – they are small. In effect, spread betting companies make good kindergartens for traders. Keep in mind however, that when you’re ready to move up a rung or two on the trading ladder, your spread betting company may or may not offer the best tools and resources to ensure that you’re consistently profitable in the future.

A popular myth
Besides the question ‘What Should I Trade?’, there is a similar one that is often asked by newbies: ‘Which is the Easiest Market to Trade?’ The idea that one market is easier to trade than another is largely a myth. If it existed, everyone would naturally gravitate towards it in search of easy profits. After all, only trading masochists would deliberately seek out treacherous markets that are known to be especially tough to trade! What traders mean when they say that one market is easier to trade than another is that for them personally, say, futures is easier than Forex for example. This is their reality: it doesn’t necessarily follow that it will be your reality too.

The bottom line is to do your own research and to be guided by your own feelings, views, beliefs and understanding of how each market functions. Take your time, they’re not going anywhere, each one will still be here next month or next year!

Last edited by timsk; Oct 5, 2010 at 2:52pm. Reason: Updating
Thanks! The following members like this post: NVP
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:35pm   #3

Joined Dec 2004
What Should I trade?

T2W Bot started this thread USEFUL LINKS

If you find other threads, Articles or sites on your travels around the net that are relevant to this FAQ, please add a link to them in this thread, outlining what it is that you like about them. Thanks!

T2W THREADS
None here? If you find a good one, let us know and we’ll add it!

T2W ARTICLES
Why Trade? by Robert Newgrosh
Before deciding what to trade, this article investigates your reasons for wanting to trade at all.
What Style of Trader Am I? by Don Dawson
Having concluded that you definitely want to trade, the next issue to tackle is the style of trading that will suit you the best. Once these two questions have been addressed, you'll find it much easier to decide which markets and instruments to trade.

EXTERNAL LINKS
None here? If you find a good one, let us know and we’ll add it!

Last edited by timsk; Apr 11, 2012 at 5:11pm. Reason: Updating
Thanks! The following members like this post: NVP
Old Apr 6, 2008, 4:45am   #4

Joined Jun 2007
there's an old saying along the lines "if you failed at trading everything else, try Corn"
rathcoole_exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: trader_dante
Old Apr 6, 2008, 4:49am   #5

Joined Jan 2008
If you're asking this question, the only thing you should be trading is a sim account!

jj
Mathemagician is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:56am   #6

Joined Jul 2006
There are as many ways of trading as there are whales in the sea - and as a newbie you have the hardest task of all; finding something which suits your style, personality, and emotions.

As a beginner I suggest you identify a group of stocks first. The easiest ones are US stocks with high-ish daily volume (Nasdaq 100 stocks for example). Then remove any which are below, say, $5 or $10 per share. You then have a universe or basket of stocks to watch.

Then spend a long time (weeks and weeks if not months and months) looking at the way the prices form. Research one chart pattern, and look for it in these charts. Get used to seeing how it forms (looking back historically is OK to start with, but it's more important that you recognise a pattern as it is forming, not after it has formed).

[...]

Once you understand the basics of how prices move, then you are well on the way to getting yourself ready to make your first trade. Don't rush the early stages, because these really are the most important. There's lots of stuff to read on these boards, but do try not to distract yourself from looking at the price by using indicators, colourful lines, etc.

-- Skimbleshanks
firewalker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Eek! , akratic
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:11am   #7
Joined May 2006
The best markets are dynamic

There are enough markets to go round so basically finding the one that fits your expectations would be advisable as would trying to avoid markets that are not very dynamic.
Jumpinjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:17am   #8
Joined Apr 2009
The highly liquid markets of Non-fat dry milk could be perfect for traders who wish to day-trade a commodity without trading against the worlds top proffesionals who trade Corn...
Not only does it give traders daily trends, but it also reacts to indicators perfectly. Try stochastics, if its oversold, it will definately go up, its the law.

Volume for the 2nd of July reached an all-mighty 0, a new-record for NFD milk, open interest remains highly indicative of future price direction.

This could be the perfect market for any beginner!

God gave me a special gift, made me a fine instrument of warfare...If you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over.
HaloTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: trader_dante