Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.?

This is a discussion on Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; A very good question. And not easy to answer. I suppose trade something you are interested in!. With stocks and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:59pm   #9
Joined Nov 2006
A very good question. And not easy to answer. I suppose trade something you are interested in!. With stocks and shares it is a bit easier; there is usually a sector with which you have some strong feelings.
Reminds me of a talk I gave at APCIMS many years ago. On the subject of stock selection ohares I suggested that it might be "the company that brews your favourite tipple". I had been 'instructed' to occassionally focus on individual memberes of the audience. As I spoke the above words I focused on this chap in the front row and could'nt help noticing he had a prominent and ruddy brewer's nose.It was difficult to un-focus after that! OK, you had to be there.
raysor is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:16am   #10
Joined Feb 2009
re: Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.?

You can trade anything and everything but you need to do your homework first;
Understand the market , undersatnd the character of the sectors / shares / commodities.
Ask yourself some questions: when will I be trading - Morning, afternoon or evening? How will you be trading - day trading, scalping, swing etc. Can your chosen style of trading be applied in the timeframe you have allocated for trading?

These are just some of the basics that you need to cover and the answer to "what should i trade" should start to unfold.
Omoh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:35am   #11

Joined Mar 2010

Read read and read again. Theres sooo much to learn, but when cracked its soo worth it. I can point to some sites for all in one solutions. PM me if you want, not gonna post here.

As for your instrument of choice. It can take some time to get a feel on that, sometimes you trade everything, sometimes not, I trade primarily Nasdaq stocks (lower priced) and Crude Oil via /CL. I am content but also sometimes do a bit of /NQ too.

For something to watch, you could watch the DOW which is a nicely liquid Futures market (/YM), quite trendy and one of the slower more liquid markets - BUT, it can bite exceptionally hard, so paper it and go pattern searching.
LoveToTrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:21am   #12
Joined Nov 2010

Pick a strong currency, pair it with a weak one, then trade that pair! Of course that's much easier said than done. Like the others mentioned, you gotta do your research first. But the principle's pretty much that simple, at least that's how I learned from the BabyPips.com School of Pipsology. Workin' out for me so far
littlebopip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:18pm   #13
Joined May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebopip View Post
Pick a strong currency, pair it with a weak one, then trade that pair!
How about a more moderate currency cross such as EUR/GBP. Very good technically and has big pips!!!

Last edited by timsk; Dec 6, 2010 at 3:37pm. Reason: Removed link / housekeeping
Jumpinjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:29am   #14
Joined Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpinjack View Post
How about a more moderate currency cross such as EUR/GBP. Very good technically and has big pips!!!
That works too! Whatever floats your boat. Those crosses are just a little more choppy sometimes, but they do yield big pips. I guess it's all about finding out the particular "characteristics" of the currency pairs, whether its a major, yen cross, exotic pair, and finding out whether it fits your trading style.

Last edited by timsk; Dec 6, 2010 at 3:39pm. Reason: Housekeeping
littlebopip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:43pm   #15
hgh
Joined Jul 2012
Re: Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.?

Depends on the risk you can take. Whatever the thing you're trading, make sure you're clear the risk you faced. Meanwhile, take a clear picture of the thing you're trading.
hgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:45pm   #16

1 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Re: Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.?

For me Forex fits perfect. As it's the biggest Market with the biggest liquidity! And you are able to use leverage. MT4 is a simple trading station, you should give it a try
Matthew512 is offline   Reply With Quote