Realistically, How much Money can I Expect to Make?

This is a discussion on Realistically, How much Money can I Expect to Make? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; The average salary of a retail trader is conveniently swept under the rug. In Vietnam it was 19 nnnnnnn 19....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:42pm   #49

Joined Feb 2013
Re: Realistically, How much Money can I Expect to Make?

The average salary of a retail trader is conveniently swept under the rug. In Vietnam it was 19 nnnnnnn 19.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:02pm   #50

Joined Sep 2012
On an average 4 trades per market. I trade 8 markets and it depends on which market is active. I am now going live another system for Stock & FX which is long term in nature in comparison to current one. Lets see how it works out in live, Simulation Longs hit rate is 55% [1.8:1 Reward/Risk profile] & Short hit rate is 43% [3:1 Reward/Risk Profile] .
In Crude Oil/Natural Gas/Nickel i have specialized and i usually go to them when i am down in other markets. Wall St $180k sounds good but for me it stopped being about money last year. I trade 15 hours on weekdays and 4 hours on Saturday not for money. The more we think about money more it will continue to evade

I am in simulation phase for Options. Out of 10 markets i am live on 8 for Intraday

Last edited by timsk; May 8, 2013 at 11:42am. Reason: Monthly housekeeping
Nikhil Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:37pm   #51

3 Posts
Joined Mar 2013

This is a very interesting and factual thread. I could spend a lot of time reading through.

For me, to put it simply, If you would like to know the amount of money that you expect to make, the Demo trade, demo trade, demo trade. I have read a few points that I agree with here.

You do need to have (or learn) a certain mentality

You do need to be prepared to take risks.

I follow a set of rules that myself which are always changing to benefit my trading style..

Here are some of them:

1. Always use a stop order

2. After 3 losing trades in one day, Stop Trading!

3. Once my target is hit I will stop trading for the day.

4. My risk on any one trade will not exceed 5% of my account.

5. Always ask myself if I am trading for the right reasons.

TheMinuteTrader is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:33pm   #52

2 Posts
Joined Apr 2013

I think realistically and generally, you should expect to lose money ... because on average traders lose money. However, this is a generalization and you might have a system that works really well. In which case, I would encourage you to back test your system and use the demo for your system for a period of time across a small number of markets, get the returns number and apply a healthy discount to it (because when you put real money down and have emotions attached to it), and that is how much you can expect to make.
reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: WR1
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:48pm   #53
Joined Apr 2013

Enjoyed your first comments T2W bot. The short answer is you'll lose money as much as you can stomach. I don't think there is a new trader that ever had a profitable first year beyond luck. How much $ can be made..how good are you at detecting the dominant trend?
Cole Hann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 1:15pm   #54
Joined Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
I think realistically and generally, you should expect to lose money ... because on average traders lose money. However, this is a generalization and you might have a system that works really well. In which case, I would encourage you to back test your system and use the demo for your system for a period of time across a small number of markets, get the returns number and apply a healthy discount to it (because when you put real money down and have emotions attached to it), and that is how much you can expect to make.

To add to what fred says try not to think about how much you are going to make, try to think about protecting your capital. Every year I see people getting really down because their stops get hit then see them elated because they are up £100 in a day. Its not your lover, its just a piece of money.
If you are trading a leveraged product then risk no more than 1-2% of your capital. That way you'll sleep ok . Its not easy but write down a plan every day, if you feel emotional or attached to the market then just remember that is the quickest way to blow up your account.

Last edited by timsk; Jul 8, 2013 at 5:49pm. Reason: Monthly housekeeping
Lax_Van_Dumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 1:28pm   #55
Joined Apr 2011

you are not likely to get answer to these questions on a message board
a) no one is really open to the world on their finances
b) even if someone comes along he will be decimated in micro seconds - usually rightly so for the claims they may make

Also what others make or think they or others can make has no bearing whatsoever on how much you would actually make or lose. It is better to quit before it is too late and even better never to start. This is one addiction worse than all others put together - more for your near and dear ones than yourself.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:40pm   #56

Joined Nov 2001

People are not going to tell you how much they earn via trading !!
But you will get a lot of Vendors popping up to offer you the holy grail (for a fee).

About time the Mods. pulled the plug on these pointless, vacous posts and promoted more posts designed to improve traders to the point where they might (well 5% anyway) actually earn money trading after a long period of struggle and experiment. Hang on in there Lord Flasheart - a thread showing people making live trades, warts and all.