How Long Does it Take to Make a Stable Income from Trading?

This is a discussion on How Long Does it Take to Make a Stable Income from Trading? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by petetrades Definitely. Doing something "for a living" is a phrase that's been used for centuries to mean ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:24pm   #271
tar
 
tar's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetrades View Post
Definitely. Doing something "for a living" is a phrase that's been used for centuries to mean how you provide resources for yourself and your family to survive. I've never seen evidence that anyone has ever traded for a living the way a subsistence farmer provides resources for their family by producing food to live off of.
Ok what about amounts ? Duration ?
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:08pm   #272
Joined Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar View Post
Ok what about amounts ? Duration ?
That would depend on which country the trader lives in, their tax code and average cost of living for where they live and their particular income needs.

Trading differs from lots of other ways of making money in that the stability of your returns can be diminished greatly not only by rapidly changing technologies but by increased taxes and fees on trading. In USA Hillary Clinton had a trading tax planned on all trading transactions, even a fee on cancelled orders to curb HFT, this would have greatly destabilized income returns for almost all American traders regardless of their edge or individual trading psychology.
petetrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:11pm   #273
Joined Jul 2008
Is she really that stupid?
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:24pm   #274
tar
 
tar's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetrades View Post
That would depend on which country the trader lives in, their tax code and average cost of living for where they live and their particular income needs.

Trading differs from lots of other ways of making money in that the stability of your returns can be diminished greatly not only by rapidly changing technologies but by increased taxes and fees on trading. In USA Hillary Clinton had a trading tax planned on all trading transactions, even a fee on cancelled orders to curb HFT, this would have greatly destabilized income returns for almost all American traders regardless of their edge or individual trading psychology.
http://www.myfxbook.com/members/husm...-yusof/1556269

Duration = 3 Years .

Deposits = 14.5K

Withdrawals = 41K

Profits = 26.5K

Country = Malaysia

Vendor = No
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:36pm   #275
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
How the algos have ruined the market!

Actually, could someone give us a hand cos it all looks the same to me

Click the image to open in full size.

up down up down
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:10pm   #276
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
Having fun yet?

Click the image to open in full size.

You tell him Pete
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tokyojoe
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:18pm   #277
Joined Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar View Post
http://www.myfxbook.com/members/husm...-yusof/1556269

Duration = 3 Years .

Deposits = 14.5K

Withdrawals = 41K

Profits = 26.5K

Country = Malaysia

Vendor = No
The average holding time of 2 days would make such trading strategies very difficult if not impossible in a market like the ES with predatory algorithms that run stops in any direction where liquidity is highest, often the euro and asian markets seek out liquidity in the opposite direction of the US algorithms, all in the same day.
petetrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:08pm   #278
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
ChChunk

Click the image to open in full size.

Next!
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:11pm   #279
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
Have you considered the possibility that deep in there somewhere, you dont actually want to be a trader?

Click the image to open in full size.
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:25pm   #280
Joined Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktone View Post
Have you considered the possibility that deep in there somewhere, you dont actually want to be a trader?

Click the image to open in full size.
I am a futures daytrader with the scars to prove it if you want to see them PM me. Show me the futures traders who make stable income. I know DionysusToast and dbphoenix and others who have an interest in futures make a calculable and stable income, but I have yet to encounter any futures traders who do.
petetrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02pm   #281
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetrades View Post
I am a futures daytrader with the scars to prove it if you want to see them PM me. Show me the futures traders who make stable income. I know DionysusToast and dbphoenix and others who have an interest in futures make a calculable and stable income, but I have yet to encounter any futures traders who do.
Scars? you burn yourself on the coffee machine or somethin?

Have a look at Don Miller trading ES.
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:29pm   #282
 
itspossible's Avatar
Joined Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetrades View Post
I am a futures daytrader with the scars to prove it if you want to see them PM me. Show me the futures traders who make stable income. I know DionysusToast and dbphoenix and others who have an interest in futures make a calculable and stable income, but I have yet to encounter any futures traders who do.
Thank you for being honest about how hard it is to make it.Would you disclose your trading history on here?im just very nosey lol.my history is managed to make a small amount with a 20k account over about 3 yrs.was u and down like a yo yo-lost 5k doing shares-made it back spreadbetting-BREAK EVEN-tRAded very small and was about £1200 up -disaster struck and lost 800-had stops in but they were gapped through-so at least i didnt blow up-too tough for me the trading game
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
i'm lying for the attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
reloading another "K" next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
you don't really have an orange juice position do you?
itspossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:34pm   #283
Joined Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible View Post
Thank you for being honest about how hard it is to make it.Would you disclose your trading history on here?im just very nosey lol.my history is managed to make a small amount with a 20k account over about 3 yrs.was u and down like a yo yo-lost 5k doing shares-made it back spreadbetting-BREAK EVEN-tRAded very small and was about £1200 up -disaster struck and lost 800-had stops in but they were gapped through-so at least i didnt blow up-too tough for me the trading game
I have lost £20,000-80,000 each of the many years I have daytraded futures or stocks, commissions to the brokerage got from me around £5,000-7,000 per year. Even when I'm profitable during some years (years always end as negative even if positive) I feel like I'm treading water or I need to make more and more to make up for the expenses due to how much it costs just to daytrade futures.
petetrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:26am   #284
Joined May 2016
For the guys that have 'consistently' not done well what analysis are you guys using ? Chart patterns, moving averages, trend following, mean reversion, systematic, discretionary, any and all of the above?
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:10am   #285
Joined Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalcalc View Post
For the guys that have 'consistently' not done well what analysis are you guys using ? Chart patterns, moving averages, trend following, mean reversion, systematic, discretionary, any and all of the above?
All of the above minus systematic trading.
petetrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much will make you happy and how long will it take you to make that much money? clylbw The Foyer 7 Feb 24, 2010 5:22pm
Inventions - why did it take soooo long to make it? JTrader The Foyer 9 Nov 22, 2007 3:13pm
24/6 stable Internet connection for Forex Pentaquark Techies Corner 5 Oct 12, 2007 1:33pm
How stable is any system? mathsfreak First Steps 9 Jun 21, 2007 1:41pm
US Rates likely to remain stable... gugaplex Commodities & Money Markets 4 Nov 8, 2006 2:43pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)