Can You Recommend a Mentor, Coach or Trading Course?

This is a discussion on Can You Recommend a Mentor, Coach or Trading Course? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Anon1 . . . You mention golf, great example. However, pro golfers do have trainers and surprising ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:13am   #9
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
. . . You mention golf, great example. However, pro golfers do have trainers and surprising to some, they are no where near as good as the person they are training.
Hi Anon1,
That's an interesting point and something I'm aware of watching Wimbledon. Andy Murray is a better tennis player than Jonas Björkman, nonetheless, the Swede is part of the Scot's coaching team.

In a trading context, I wonder how far the envelope can be pushed (between the respective abilities of trainer and trainee) before the relationship is no longer viable. The oft repeated taunt that those that can't trade teach may well be true but, based on the above sporting examples, could it be that those that can't trade especially well may make excellent coaches?
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:27am   #10
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Hi Anon1,
That's an interesting point and something I'm aware of watching Wimbledon. Andy Murray is a better tennis player than Jonas Björkman, nonetheless, the Swede is part of the Scot's coaching team.

In a trading context, I wonder how far the envelope can be pushed (between the respective abilities of trainer and trainee) before the relationship is no longer viable. The oft repeated taunt that those that can't trade teach may well be true but, based on the above sporting examples, could it be that those that can't trade especially well may make excellent coaches?
Tim.
Hi Timsk,

I think we are close to the point here. A clear example of this for me is that I can talk a very good day trading and to be honest, some people I have met throughout the years do not even know that I am totally useless at day trading. My accounts tell me this as they are and have never been profitable. (I'm long term swing).

However, this does not stop me from putting on the odd (in my own words), punt every now and then day trading. The problem that I admit to and realize that I have is that although I can talk the talk and even help others do the trading, the truth is, I cannot do it myself. Something switches inside when money is down. I get excited when I win just like a gambler would and I get (this is true), sweaty palms when I'm in the red. For me that kind of trading is just too fast pace.

Regards,
Anon
Anon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:45am   #11
Joined Oct 2014
Having a mentor could mean the world. Paul Tudor Jones had a mentor. He would not be what he is if it wasn't for Eli Tullis. It really comes down to your own personality. Some people are fine just reading books and trading alone.
arigoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:05am   #12
Joined May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
Hi Timsk,

I think we are close to the point here. A clear example of this for me is that I can talk a very good day trading and to be honest, some people I have met throughout the years do not even know that I am totally useless at day trading. My accounts tell me this as they are and have never been profitable. (I'm long term swing).

However, this does not stop me from putting on the odd (in my own words), punt every now and then day trading. The problem that I admit to and realize that I have is that although I can talk the talk and even help others do the trading, the truth is, I cannot do it myself. Something switches inside when money is down. I get excited when I win just like a gambler would and I get (this is true), sweaty palms when I'm in the red. For me that kind of trading is just too fast pace.

Regards,
Anon
well football coaches never played the game. they learned how to coach football all their career. The skill sets needed to coach football a violent game are nothing like what is needed to coach the team which is more about group dynamics and interpersonal relationships.
Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:08am   #13
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by arigoldman View Post
Having a mentor could mean the world. Paul Tudor Jones had a mentor. He would not be what he is if it wasn't for Eli Tullis. It really comes down to your own personality. Some people are fine just reading books and trading alone.
Very true words. In essence there is nothing wrong with having a mentor. The most reasons as to why people do not is usually down to money (some have there own story but mostly its affordability). I've never quite understood that. Education costs both money and time, cutting corners costs far more. I was lucky in the fact that my father taught me from a young age of around 12 years old.

As for the topic of recommending brokers. There are loads out there and once one when gets to know the basics will soon learn who is good and who is bad for ones own particular style. Starting off with books is also a great way to get a head start and listening to financial news channels
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:18am   #14
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
well football coaches never played the game. they learned how to coach football all their career. The skill sets needed to coach football a violent game are nothing like what is needed to coach the team which is more about group dynamics and interpersonal relationships.
Hi Jingles,

I wont discuss football as an analogy with trading as they are very different types - for example: As you mention, in football, there is a lot of group dynamics and relationships to attend to. There is a huge emphasis on emotions as well as physiological aspects . Trading is a very lonely game and it matters not about physique and relationships but plays far more on an emotional and psychological side. There will also be a whole flock of people on the other side of your trades. With trading you will have half the world telling you down and the other telling you up, regardless on how good the set-up looks like.

Regards,
Anon
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:41am   #15
Joined May 2015
yes I find it discouraging that if I want to buy a good case can be made to sell and half the world sells.

If I want to sell then a good case can be made to buy and half the world wants to buy my sale.

It causes me to realize that we all are insane thinking this is the easy way to get rich.
Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:02pm   #16
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
yes I find it discouraging that if I want to buy a good case can be made to sell and half the world sells.

If I want to sell then a good case can be made to buy and half the world wants to buy my sale.

It causes me to realize that we all are insane thinking this is the easy way to get rich.
Its a way to make money but you are right in what you say. It's certainly not easy to get rich (whatever that value is of course).