Anyone living in / trading from Malta?

This is a discussion on Anyone living in / trading from Malta? within the Meetups forums, part of the Trading Career category; I'm considering emmigrating from the UK to Malta this year with my family and was wondering if anyone on these ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:57am   #1

Joined Sep 2005
Anyone living in / trading from Malta?

I'm considering emmigrating from the UK to Malta this year with my family and was wondering if anyone on these boards has made that move or was based there?

If so, a few words of advice would be appreciated: on trading, a few immigration specifics and life in general there. I'm getting some professional advice, but from the horses mouth might be more useful!

The island is apparently wired for broadband, but I've heard the connection quality is low. Does the system ever go down for more than a few hours? Are the local brokers okay, or do you trade offshore? Any firms to recommend, or avoid? FYI, I trade UK equities, and have just started a foray into FTSE futures / s'bets.

Are there any good ex-pat clubs or similar to get a social life going when we arrive? I know the island fairly well as a tourist, but any recommendations for where a young family might live? I was thinking about somewhere around Sliema or St Julians. We're going out in a few weeks for a recce, so will have a better idea after that...

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Jack o'Clubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:41pm   #2

9 Posts
Joined May 2006
also interested anybody else et?
orlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:07pm   #3

Joined Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack o'Clubs View Post
I'm considering emmigrating from the UK to Malta this year with my family and was wondering if anyone on these boards has made that move or was based there?

If so, a few words of advice would be appreciated: on trading, a few immigration specifics and life in general there. I'm getting some professional advice, but from the horses mouth might be more useful!

The island is apparently wired for broadband, but I've heard the connection quality is low. Does the system ever go down for more than a few hours? Are the local brokers okay, or do you trade offshore? Any firms to recommend, or avoid? FYI, I trade UK equities, and have just started a foray into FTSE futures / s'bets.

Are there any good ex-pat clubs or similar to get a social life going when we arrive? I know the island fairly well as a tourist, but any recommendations for where a young family might live? I was thinking about somewhere around Sliema or St Julians. We're going out in a few weeks for a recce, so will have a better idea after that...

May I ask you, why you chose Malta?
Some of my friends went to Gibraltar, but came back.
Some went to Mallorca, still trading from there.
Some went to Cyprus, also hanging in.
But Malta? It is said to be nice, but very small, VERY small
DaxDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:46am   #4

9 Posts
Joined May 2006
got a wife and kid.
heard its meant to be extremely safe.
good free schools,free healthcare.
slightly lower tax than the uk.
only £100 for a trip between here and there.
sun,sea,sand
english is spoken
no council tax
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:20pm   #5

Joined Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack o'Clubs View Post

I was there for a while, mainly for business and taxation reasons, and I still have a place in Bhar Ic Caghaq. People either seam to love it or hate it, there is no middle ground. I hate the place, but there are things I miss when I'm not there, mainly weather, and the complete insanity of the place.

The standard of cable internet is probably better than I've currently got in the UK, and problems in general are sorted pretty quickly. One thing that definitely causes problems are power cuts, and these can be quite common in the summer months, although the frequency does seam to be reducing as the infrastructure gets better.
zupcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:57pm   #6

9 Posts
Joined May 2006
please explain whats so insane about it compared to the uk?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:30pm   #7

Joined Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zupcon View Post
I was there for a while, mainly for business and taxation reasons, and I still have a place in Bhar Ic Caghaq. People either seam to love it or hate it, there is no middle ground. I hate the place, but there are things I miss when I'm not there, mainly weather, and the complete insanity of the place.

The standard of cable internet is probably better than I've currently got in the UK, and problems in general are sorted pretty quickly. One thing that definitely causes problems are power cuts, and these can be quite common in the summer months, although the frequency does seam to be reducing as the infrastructure gets better.
Power cuts? ooops So Cyprus is the better choice for sure
DaxDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:42pm   #8

Joined Sep 2005
Jack o'Clubs started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxDestroyer View Post
May I ask you, why you chose Malta?
Some of my friends went to Gibraltar, but came back.
Some went to Mallorca, still trading from there.
Some went to Cyprus, also hanging in.
But Malta? It is said to be nice, but very small, VERY small
It wouldn't be my first choice (actually I quite like the UK), and I was particularly concerned about its size, but there were very specific tax reasons (not trading related), and the few alternatives like Monaco that offered the same dodge were just crazily expensive places to live. As you can tell from my dates of posting, we never went...paid up for good tax advice here instead.

Having said that, we did spend some time there sussing the island out, and although the concern about getting bored on a small island never went away, we really liked the buzz in Valetta, or the area around St Julians. We would have needed to stay for at least three years for the tax scheme to have worked, and would probably have been very happy there. If it hadn't been for the fact that we had kids settled in school in the UK and we had some concerns about the quality of schools on Malta (having visited quite a few there, both Maltese and international), we would probably have gone.
Jack o'Clubs is offline   Reply With Quote