Long/Medium Term Index Review

This is a discussion on Long/Medium Term Index Review within the Indices forums, part of the Markets category; Hi all, Thought some of you might be interested in this clearly written TA review of the major indices by ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 10, 2003, 6:02pm   #1

Joined Dec 2001
Long/Medium Term Index Review

Hi all,

Thought some of you might be interested in this clearly written TA review of the major indices by TBS, scroll down for the most recent one.

http://www.theblindsquirrel.com/foru...p?TOPIC_ID=767

You will need to register with the site but you won't get spammed.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 8:19pm   #2

Joined Mar 2002
very sobering Helen.I have investments for the last 20 odd years
and I know about it.
Bill
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:43pm   #3

Joined Nov 2000
Very interesting.I rarely get time to look at "historic" charts. It seems to me that the S&P has clearly resolved into a RS switch, confirming the end of a down trend is iminent- on theses time scales, that could be months. As for TBS's comment, the S&P leads the world , and can be used to confirm other movements, It seems that the S&P is confirming the NDX and FTSE turns.... Certainly today's action post employment meltdown confirms that the market wants nothing but up. Just a short while ago, such a meltdown would have stayed that way- and more.
The views expressed here are my personal views and for your information only. Any expression of likely movement of a share is merely guesswork and is to be treated as such.This information must NOT be used as a basis for making any investment decision.
ChartMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:35am   #4
Joined Jan 2001
Hmm.... is it really meaningful to construct long term charts with linear scales I wonder ?
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:27am   #5

Joined Feb 2002
Hi Morris

I would say that trendlines are valid both with linear and log scales, they work equally well.

HTH
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:44am   #6
Joined Jan 2001
hmm.. well, a linear scale ascribes the same importance to a change of 100 points @ 200 (50%) as it does to 100 points @ 1000 (10%).

So, for example, a linear chart of the Dow from 1920 to 2000 is essentially meaningless surely ?
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:49am   #7
Joined Jan 2001
Like this one:

http://www.sharelynx.net/Charts/30DJIA.gif
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:18pm   #8

Joined Nov 2000
Whilst I agree that historic charts ( 1920's + ) may be of some use, and lately from , say 2000 on, I think that what ever they suggest to you is, for the most part, irrelevant. What we really want to know is what is going to happen tomorrow. I don't care too much about what happened yesterday, even though it is interesting to take some guidance from the action over the last three weeks or so.
On the other hand, If I were considering my future pension worth, then it becomes of paramount interest. In theory, I could draw my pension now, by I can't live of 2 bob a week. In ten year's time, I'm hoping it will be worth £10 a week, but I don't see it in the charts.
The views expressed here are my personal views and for your information only. Any expression of likely movement of a share is merely guesswork and is to be treated as such.This information must NOT be used as a basis for making any investment decision.
ChartMan is offline   Reply With Quote