World markets fall as US fails to reach debt agreement

This is a discussion on World markets fall as US fails to reach debt agreement within the Indices forums, part of the Markets category; Well FTSE has shrugged it off and is holding strong against the weakness in US futures. I guess there'll be ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:53am   #1

Joined May 2003
World markets fall as US fails to reach debt agreement

Well FTSE has shrugged it off and is holding strong against the weakness in US futures.

I guess there'll be a pop in US markets once the recalcitrant Republicans have extracted their various pounds of flesh from Obama but, unless positioned beforehand, it'll be like trying to jump aboard Lewis Hamilton's McClaren as it hits full speed.

jon
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:40pm   #2
Joined Jan 2011
Re: World markets fall as US fails to reach debt agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
Well FTSE has shrugged it off and is holding strong against the weakness in US futures.

I guess there'll be a pop in US markets once the recalcitrant Republicans have extracted their various pounds of flesh from Obama but, unless positioned beforehand, it'll be like trying to jump aboard Lewis Hamilton's McClaren as it hits full speed.

jon
A lot of fuss about nothing in my opinion Jon. Markets will simply keep going up, the reason being that they should keep going up. Interruptions to this trend are just a buying opportunity.

The only way out of this debt crisis is inflation. That is it. So nobody should be surprised at how the market is reacting, or wondering why it keeps going up despite (insert blah blah blah).
Pazienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:30pm   #3
Joined Jul 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazienza View Post
The only way out of this debt crisis is inflation.
Oh, I can think of a couple of alternatives....

One is painful and relatively short-lived. The other is painful, lasts a lot longer, takes more cash, reduces real asset values, irreversibly inhibits potential growth and causes more long-term damage of the slightly more irrevocable kind.

However the same political myopia that actively enabled this crisis to form in the first place, will, with the same rampant irresponsibility that will prevent the smart option being given the serious consideration it deserves, consider that which buys more time, and allows memories to fade (time is a major premium in politics) and appears to offer the 'least worst case' while being truly, positively destructive in the extreme.

I think I know which it's going to be.
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:38pm   #4

Joined Jan 2003

I wonder to what extent the Republican party has been hijacked by the' Tea Party ' ie the speaker just does not have the votes if he fails to come back with a deal that does not involve tax rises of any kind, ie is their strategy to allow a technical default by missing the supposed August 2nd deadline gambling on the electorate blaming Obama and thus getting a bounce ahead of the presidential election ? It is clearly all political/ideological.

Whatever any of us think about last week's Euro zone deal at least a deal was done, that involved the agreement of 14 sovereign countries not just 2 parties of the same country ?

As for likely market reaction if a deal is done (or indeed not done and Aug 2nd deadline missed causing a technical; default).... Difficult to say and the knee-jerk may not be the direction once the detail is known ? Any $ rally may well be shortlived ?

Time will tell.

G/L
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:41pm   #5
Joined Jul 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmac View Post
Whatever any of us think about last week's Euro zone deal at least a deal was done, that involved the agreement of 14 sovereign countries not just 2 parties of the same country ?
Erm, just two countries actually methinks.
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:45pm   #6
Joined Jan 2011

I'm not saying inflation is the answer, just that it will be the one governments will go for. The alternatives? They will simply not consider them.

With that in mind I think we can fairly comfortably say what the direction of the market will be for the foreseeable future.

All this is just gassing though. The important thing is I took a long on TF at the open. Ha!
Pazienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:09pm   #7

Joined Jan 2003

well yeh..and only one of them really matter ? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBramble View Post
Erm, just two countries actually methinks.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:14pm   #8

Joined May 2003

barjon started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmac View Post
I wonder to what extent the Republican party has been hijacked by the' Tea Party ' ie the speaker just does not have the votes if he fails to come back with a deal that does not involve tax rises of any kind, ie is their strategy to allow a technical default by missing the supposed August 2nd deadline gambling on the electorate blaming Obama and thus getting a bounce ahead of the presidential election ? It is clearly all political/ideological.

As for likely market reaction if a deal is done (or indeed not done and Aug 2nd deadline missed causing a technical; default).... Difficult to say and the knee-jerk may not be the direction once the detail is known ? Any $ rally may well be shortlived ?

Time will tell.

G/L
I guess it's somewhat narrow politics with some Republicans taking the golden opportunity to squeeze concessions/benefits (bribes) for their States out of Obama. It was ever thus

jon
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:30pm   #9

Joined Jun 2005

Perhaps this throws some light on the problem?

http://factcheck.org/2011/07/fiscal-factcheck/
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:37pm   #10
Joined Nov 2001

UK went down a bit ,but it was lower yesterday and has recouped now into, more or less, level pegging with the opening. I can't do much this afternoon but I'd play it as always, by ear. Fiddle while Rome burns.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote