World markets fall as US fails to reach debt agreement

This is a discussion on World markets fall as US fails to reach debt agreement within the Indices forums, part of the Markets category; Originally Posted by barjon Whatever the longer term holds (and I think I agree with paz that if the underlying ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:28pm   #15
Joined Jan 2011
Re: World markets fall as US fails to reach debt agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
Whatever the longer term holds (and I think I agree with paz that if the underlying agenda is to inflate the debt away - it's a bit of a surprise that the busy $ printing presses haven't already hit the inflation buttons - then up will go the DOW) I was more concerned with a potentially sharp "relief" rally when the the eleventh hour agreement to raise the debt threshold is reached. If and when it comes it'll probably be fast and furious so if your not positioned beforehand there's a good chance of missing the boat.

'Course you may think in conceivable that agreement is not reached and US will default _ I can't see it.

jon
In a nutshell.

It certainly feels that way (your short-term opinion) - just skittering sideways, waiting for the starting gun.
Pazienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:32pm   #16
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
Whatever the longer term holds (and I think I agree with paz that if the underlying agenda is to inflate the debt away - it's a bit of a surprise that the busy $ printing presses haven't already hit the inflation buttons - then up will go the DOW) I was more concerned with a potentially sharp "relief" rally when the the eleventh hour agreement to raise the debt threshold is reached. If and when it comes it'll probably be fast and furious so if your not positioned beforehand there's a good chance of missing the boat.

'Course you may think in conceivable that agreement is not reached and US will default _ I can't see it.

jon
Of course an agreement will be reached, it's all about pr now, who gets the blame in the media..

As for inflating the debt away IMHO that ain't gonna work unless folks' real incomes are inflated too and the elite decision makers don't want that to happen/won't let that happen.. Also with oil at circa one hundred for Sweet crude and 115 for Brent the second leg down in depression 2.0 is a nailed on certainty, so yep hold the shares, they're simply worthless ious with no tangible benefit given their detachment from reality..
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:35pm   #17
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
Of course an agreement will be reached, it's all about pr now, who gets the blame in the media..

As for inflating the debt away IMHO that ain't gonna work unless folks' real incomes are inflated too and the elite decision makers don't want that to happen/won't let that happen.. Also with oil at circa one hundred for Sweet crude and 115 for Brent the second leg down in depression 2.0 is a nailed on certainty, so yep hold the shares, they're simply worthless ious with no tangible benefit given their detachment from reality..
Where is money going to go in the near term?

Property?

Bonds?

Cash?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:35pm   #18
Joined Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazienza View Post
The bull market started in 2009. They have been known to take pauses on their way to the top .

This might be the turning point of course, but I rather doubt it. The reason being that it makes perfect sense to buy stocks.
Yes yes could just be a pause but its a pretty long pause. Markets to me really do look quite negative and could turn. Still im just a simple noob lol
fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:09pm   #19
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwood View Post
Yes yes could just be a pause but its a pretty long pause. Markets to me really do look quite negative and could turn. Still im just a simple noob lol
Well, it's all just different opinions. No market otherwise.