Trading for a living & taxes in the Netherlands

This is a discussion on Trading for a living & taxes in the Netherlands within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by cyrilmac Would any of you traders benefit from such work? What I mean, would such research (although, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:22pm   #33

2 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Re: Trading for a living & taxes in the Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilmac View Post
Would any of you traders benefit from such work? What I mean, would such research (although, not particularly extensive as it's not a PhD thesis, but just a Bachelor capstone) be interesting to you?
Yes, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilmac View Post
Would you care to share some of your knowledge and expertise with me?
I'm not sure how much expertise different people have but I imagine there would be no issue with sharing stuff per se, as long as it was anonymous; I'm not sure how you would manage that. For all we know, you could be the taxman on a fishing expedition, something that they do not just regularly, but as a core and necessary element of their work. All that said, I think a decent look at the pro's and cons of various jurisdictions for trading purposes (taking into account the different treatment of, say, spreadbetting, CFDs, futures, forex etc.), things such as income tax vs capital gains tax, corporation tax, etc. would be extremely useful and arguably long-overdue.
FordTimelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 3:55pm   #34
Joined Oct 2008

Great information on this thread!

Iīve been reading it carefully as I want to move to other country because here in Spain the government has gone crazy and raised the taxes so much for the capital gains.

Actually I was planning to move to Netherlands.

Iīve talked to the Belastingdienst (Dutch Tax Office) many times and I donīt have the impression that they are sure about how trading capital gains are taxed. If I only ask about hot to tax my capital gains they always answer me that they are taxed in box3 (1.2%).

But if I explain to them that I trade for my living, that I do it everyday and that capital gains are my only income, they start to doubt and a Belastindienst supervisor even told me that it could be considered to be taxed in box1.

He sayd that my income is like "my job". I consider this completely unfair because capital gains are not taxed in Netherlands and they try to tax you if you live of your trading.

Anyway, besides my information, I think itīs more important the experience of anyone who lives in the Netherlands and pay taxes there.

Could anyone give more information or tell his experience with this? please.

Does anyone knows if the tax law has changed in any direction?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

P.D: soldintime, I will send you a private asking you about Andorra
Piyayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 6:12pm   #35

Joined Sep 2005

Yes, I lived there. If you're trading, not investing, then you are generating income and this will be taxed under 'Box 1', ie income tax. This is very expensive, from memory 52% above a top rate which kicks in above a low bar (about EUR35k). Holland has some very favourable tax rates for companies, particularly those that trade assets (it is a nation whose wealth derived from trading after all), but I've no experience of that and you should seek professional advice from an accountant. In any case you'll need to draw out cash to live on and this will be taxed as income. You might be better off in Belgium which has no capital gains tax if you can persuade them what you're doing is investing not trading (and yes, it is a fine line). On the other hand, we've not seen the sun for six months, it's still freezing cold in mid-May and it's bucketing down as I write. Are you sure you want to move from Spain...?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyayo View Post
Great information on this thread!

Iīve been reading it carefully as I want to move to other country because here in Spain the government has gone crazy and raised the taxes so much for the capital gains.

Actually I was planning to move to Netherlands.

Iīve talked to the Belastingdienst (Dutch Tax Office) many times and I donīt have the impression that they are sure about how trading capital gains are taxed. If I only ask about hot to tax my capital gains they always answer me that they are taxed in box3 (1.2%).

But if I explain to them that I trade for my living, that I do it everyday and that capital gains are my only income, they start to doubt and a Belastindienst supervisor even told me that it could be considered to be taxed in box1.

He sayd that my income is like "my job". I consider this completely unfair because capital gains are not taxed in Netherlands and they try to tax you if you live of your trading.

Anyway, besides my information, I think itīs more important the experience of anyone who lives in the Netherlands and pay taxes there.

Could anyone give more information or tell his experience with this? please.

Does anyone knows if the tax law has changed in any direction?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

P.D: soldintime, I will send you a private asking you about Andorra
Jack o'Clubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 11:56am   #36
Joined Oct 2008

The court decission that DHB provided gives some hope!

DHB any more information about this?

Jack oīClubs, I prefer having less sun in mi life and more money in my pocket, hehehehe. Is not fair to pay half of what to make to the state. Capital gains should be taxed anywhere because you gain that with money that had already been taxed also.

By the way, anyone trading from the Netherlands that could give more information please????
Piyayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:00pm   #37

5 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Hey guy's,

Sorry if this has been mentioned but do any of you guy's know if you have to pay tax on spreadbetting activities in Holland or is it treated in a similar way to the UK.

Thanks
geesmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017, 9:26am   #38

1 Posts
Joined May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyayo View Post
The court decission that DHB provided gives some hope!

DHB any more information about this?

Jack oīClubs, I prefer having less sun in mi life and more money in my pocket, hehehehe. Is not fair to pay half of what to make to the state. Capital gains should be taxed anywhere because you gain that with money that had already been taxed also.

By the way, anyone trading from the Netherlands that could give more information please????
Hi Pipayo how are you, did you find any answers to this?

Thanks
trader1828 is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote