How good is Cass Business School?

This is a discussion on How good is Cass Business School? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Its time for me now to choose what university I want to study at. I do not belive the grades ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:48pm   #1
Joined May 2008
How good is Cass Business School?

Its time for me now to choose what university I want to study at. I do not belive the grades will be any problem since I have 20/20 (the swedish ranking system) and I also have experience from manny things (Was at summer school at Karolinska Institutet, Europes best medical school. Worked for The Swedish Trade Council, and as a journalist at 2 magazines.) However, I been looking at Cambridge and Oxford but in my opinion there is not what i look for. But when I found Cass Busniess school my first reaction was: This is my type of School!

However, I seen that they are not in the top of the rankings and im worried that it will affect my possiblity to get in to a investment bank. But at the same time I do not wanna go to Oxford for 5 years if I dont find it to be intresting. So....Could i hear your views about how important the name of the school is?
Victor90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:39pm   #2
Joined Nov 2007
You should consider the ranking of potential universities in subject classes; for example, I remember Coventry University being the best in the country for physiotherapy, sh!t at everything else. If you were going for an interview for a Physio job, your potential would be greatly enhanced by going to Cov (poly!)... my point is, pick a school that is well regarded in the discipline you wish to study - as long as it's not a mickey mouse course, the IB's will have their finger on whats hot where, and the calibre of the students.

Good Luck
MrGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:51pm   #3
Joined May 2008
Victor90 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGecko View Post
You should consider the ranking of potential universities in subject classes; for example, I remember Coventry University being the best in the country for physiotherapy, sh!t at everything else. If you were going for an interview for a Physio job, your potential would be greatly enhanced by going to Cov (poly!)... my point is, pick a school that is well regarded in the discipline you wish to study - as long as it's not a mickey mouse course, the IB's will have their finger on whats hot where, and the calibre of the students.

Good Luck
The problem is just that University Rankings League Table 2009 | Good University Guide - Times Online if you look there you wont even find Cass! =
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:42am   #4
Joined Mar 2008
I am going to try to write this understandaably, despite the fact that I havn't really stopped drinking for over 24 hours.

Cass have made a huge investment in recent years, they even have a trading floor. Essentially, it is the closest thing that you could get to a "vocational" undergrad finance couse.

However, the perception is that they have struggled to attract any academic talent to the school and have therefore produced a low level of research. You will be taught by people who are far removed from being at the academic forefront of their fields, not a good thing.

I take it you are talking about undergrad courses...and if you are then my advice to you would be to steer as clear of Cass as you possibly can. It has an awful reputation and you are far better off aiming to get into a uni that is considered to be an academic heavyweight, Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE. I honestly believe that it is not even worth the time invested to go anywhere else, especially if you are looking to get into banking. At the assessment centres, you will find that 90% of the students are from these places, the others all get weeded out earlier (or fail the numerical tests).

Also, steer clear of ANYTHING that sounds vocational, stick to academic subjects. A lot of people would rather employ someone who has done a completlely irrelevant but respectable degree (eg classics at oxbridge) than some chump who did Banking at Cass.

So don't go to Cass, if you still want to go later, you can go and do one of their masters programs; they do a really good course in quantitative finance and even do one in trading, although I would advise you to steer clear even at this stage.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:42am   #5
Joined May 2008
Victor90 started this thread Thank you very much! That was far the best reasons i hear for not going there! =)
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:22am   #6

Joined Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor90 View Post
Its time for me now to choose what university I want to study at. I do not belive the grades will be any problem since I have 20/20 (the swedish ranking system) and I also have experience from manny things (Was at summer school at Karolinska Institutet, Europes best medical school. Worked for The Swedish Trade Council, and as a journalist at 2 magazines.) However, I been looking at Cambridge and Oxford but in my opinion there is not what i look for. But when I found Cass Busniess school my first reaction was: This is my type of School!

However, I seen that they are not in the top of the rankings and im worried that it will affect my possiblity to get in to a investment bank. But at the same time I do not wanna go to Oxford for 5 years if I dont find it to be intresting. So....Could i hear your views about how important the name of the school is?
CASS Business School is a good...
BUT
If you go there it will be difficult to get a job in an IB but not impossible.
There are always shortcuts and life is not fair.
Cambridge, Oxford and LSE, will guarantee interviews, City maybe not (or some).
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:24am   #7

Joined Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor90 View Post
The problem is just that University Rankings League Table 2009 | Good University Guide - Times Online if you look there you wont even find Cass! =
CASS is City University’s Business School Department
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:39am   #8

Joined Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTO9HER View Post
I am going to try to write this understandaably, despite the fact that I havn't really stopped drinking for over 24 hours.

Cass have made a huge investment in recent years, they even have a trading floor. Essentially, it is the closest thing that you could get to a "vocational" undergrad finance couse.

However, the perception is that they have struggled to attract any academic talent to the school and have therefore produced a low level of research. You will be taught by people who are far removed from being at the academic forefront of their fields, not a good thing.

I take it you are talking about undergrad courses...and if you are then my advice to you would be to steer as clear of Cass as you possibly can. It has an awful reputation and you are far better off aiming to get into a uni that is considered to be an academic heavyweight, Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE. I honestly believe that it is not even worth the time invested to go anywhere else, especially if you are looking to get into banking. At the assessment centres, you will find that 90% of the students are from these places, the others all get weeded out earlier (or fail the numerical tests).

Also, steer clear of ANYTHING that sounds vocational, stick to academic subjects. A lot of people would rather employ someone who has done a completlely irrelevant but respectable degree (eg classics at oxbridge) than some chump who did Banking at Cass.

So don't go to Cass, if you still want to go later, you can go and do one of their masters programs; they do a really good course in quantitative finance and even do one in trading, although I would advise you to steer clear even at this stage.
Dear CHRISTO9HER;472212,
First of all CASS does not have a Trading floor, they have a Bloomberg trading room, and a Reuters one. Students don’t trade they use them for research as well as Datastream.

A vocation I don’t know, it depends how your vacations are like….

Unfortunately I disagree with your whole idea about academic talent. For example there a lot of people who are well known in the CITY such as Keith Pilbeam. But wouldn’t know would you? There is a list of people, please try doing research before generalizing things.
Cass has a good reputation CHRISTO9HER;472212, do you work in the CITY? how do you know it has a bad one? Try check the MBA list? With Cambridge, Oxford and LSE I believe you are right he will easily get an interview not a job. With the rest you are just coping and pasting names from the University Guide 2008

At the assessment centres, you will find that 90% of the students are from these places, the others all get weeded out earlier (or fail the numerical tests).
(you are forgetting the international students, London is a central location in Europe)