Help please- composing CV after being a home trader

This is a discussion on Help please- composing CV after being a home trader within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Would it look bad if you didn't put anything and just say you had some personal time off? I have ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:33pm   #9
Joined Sep 2010
Would it look bad if you didn't put anything and just say you had some personal time off?

I have to admit, the first impression I got was that you've lost all your cash and now need a job (might be a wrong assumption) which doesn't look good.
__________________
If you're not losing, you're winning
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Lee Shepherd
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:36pm   #10
Joined Jul 2010
I have never seen a CV with the location of the job on it.
Trading Spaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:36am   #11
Joined Jul 2010
Put Portfolio Manager at Madeupimpressivename Capital. IF any one asks, which is unlikely, say it was your company and you want to get more experience. Do not put the location or home on your cv.
Trading Spaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:39am   #12
Joined Feb 2002
Don't lie on your CV, its a criminal offence in the UK.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:23am   #13
Joined Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
Don't lie on your CV, its a criminal offence in the UK.
Your job is portfolio manager, just not every body has realised. You have to allocate capital.
Trading Spaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:59am   #14
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trading Spaces View Post
Your job is portfolio manager, just not every body has realised. You have to allocate capital.

Should certainly lead to an interesting discussion in the interview room.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Nowler
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:59am   #15
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.
 
timsk's Avatar
Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by scattydiva View Post
. . .Can anyone please help me...
Hi scattydiva,
Welcome to T2W.

There is no need to lie on your CV. Nonetheless, a CV is a sales tool and, like any piece of sales literature, it must emphasize your strengths and provide reasons for the HR team to short list you for an interview. I agree with Trading Spaces - don't mention 'home' - or provide any kind of address. If you're not comfortable with the term Portfolio Manager - put Retail Trader instead. Assuming you're either providing a covering letter or a statement as part of an official application form, then you'll need to address why being a Retail Trader no longer works for you. (Don't ignore it - they'll smell a rat and file your application in the bin.) I suggest you keep it short 'n simple, something along the lines of: 'the current political climate and instability in the wake of Brexit is particularly challenging for Retail Traders and I don't enjoy the isolation of working on my own all day'. Then move swiftly on to the reasons why you want the job and what if offers that you don't get from trading. Lastly - and most importantly - emphasize how your unique set of skills are ideally suited to the post you're applying for.
Tim.
__________________
I'm New To T2W - Where Do I Start? - a must read for anyone new to T2W
I'm New To TRADING – Where Do I Start? - a must read for anyone new to TRADING
The Trading Plan Template - a must read for anyone without a proper TRADING PLAN
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton , sminicooper
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:55am   #16
 
3 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
scattydiva started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Hi scattydiva,
Welcome to T2W.

There is no need to lie on your CV. Nonetheless, a CV is a sales tool and, like any piece of sales literature, it must emphasize your strengths and provide reasons for the HR team to short list you for an interview. I agree with Trading Spaces - don't mention 'home' - or provide any kind of address. If you're not comfortable with the term Portfolio Manager - put Retail Trader instead. Assuming you're either providing a covering letter or a statement as part of an official application form, then you'll need to address why being a Retail Trader no longer works for you. (Don't ignore it - they'll smell a rat and file your application in the bin.) I suggest you keep it short 'n simple, something along the lines of: 'the current political climate and instability in the wake of Brexit is particularly challenging for Retail Traders and I don't enjoy the isolation of working on my own all day'. Then move swiftly on to the reasons why you want the job and what if offers that you don't get from trading. Lastly - and most importantly - emphasize how your unique set of skills are ideally suited to the post you're applying for.
Tim.
Thanks for this Tim, this has given me some things to think about. Really appreciated, thanks.
scattydiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remote (home) Trader traderzcorp Home Trader 14 Dec 5, 2014 2:37pm
Home Trader, SITM, Optiionetics Kate Andrews First Steps 0 Jun 30, 2009 3:52am
new home trader lambertshare First Steps 8 Feb 28, 2009 3:37pm
The Master Trader Home Study Course Mr Diamond Trading Systems 30 Sep 29, 2004 8:02am

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)