How many instruments do you trade?

This is a discussion on How many instruments do you trade? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by FxRock Just one for me Same here.... although I change it from time to time....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:35am   #31
Joined Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxRock View Post
Just one for me
Same here.... although I change it from time to time.
jotekfinance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:54am   #32
Joined Oct 2008
This question can not stand alone independently. And the time frame must be taken into account.

I hold from days to months and trade absolutely everything.
Jason101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:49am   #33
Joined Nov 2014
only one, I need to feel the pulse, the beat to be able to take advantage of the opportunities, if not the opportunities will take advantage of me.
Fugazsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tokyojoe
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:08pm   #34
Joined Apr 2015
I prefer using few trading contructs. Because if you use a large number of foreign exchange pairs, it is impossible to pay attention and make a qualitative analysis of each individual chart symbol.
Svetlana Korj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:26pm   #35
Joined Feb 2002
I trade mostly the 16 major forex pairs. That said, most of these are based on USD, EUR or GBP, and there is usually no good reason to be long or short in more than 1 of each.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:31pm   #36

Joined Dec 2014
all you need is one. if you're in a big, liquid market.

the more games you play, or things you trade, the more likely your performance will suffer. be a master of one, not a jack of all trades.
lawrence-lugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tokyojoe
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:26pm   #37

Joined May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-lugar View Post
all you need is one. if you're in a big, liquid market.

the more games you play, or things you trade, the more likely your performance will suffer. be a master of one, not a jack of all trades.
spot on !
tokyojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:40pm   #38
Joined Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
I trade turnips
I hear the spreads vary quite a bit, not to mention the market-depth, and that it's a seasonal market, along with the parsnip and beetroot cross-pairs?

I trade forex only, with 95% of my trades being only EUR/USD/GBP/JPY combinations. Occasionally I trade CHF/AUD/CAD pairs. That's more than enough for me.
alexaherself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2015, 7:50pm   #39
Joined Nov 2014
not much, for moment I stick with one primary pair. but to be honest sometimes reading many trading signal, arguing article related to news event lead me to put curiosity entry with another pairs.
hatemypips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015, 2:19pm   #40
Joined Feb 2015
I trade futures. Should be 42 in this list, if I've counted correctly.

CORN
LEANHOG
LIVECOW
SOYBEAN
WHEAT
AUS10
AUS3
KR10
KR3
BOBL
BTP
BUND
OAT
US10
US2
US20
US5
V2X
VIX
ASX
KOSPI
AEX
CAC
SMI
NASDAQ
SP500
AUD
EUR
GBP
JPY
MXP
NZD
COPPER
GOLD
PALLAD
PLAT
CRUDE_W
GAS_US
AUSSTIR
EDOLLAR
EUROSTX
FTSE

Until quite recently I also traded Shatz (http://qoppac.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01...man-bonds.html). In the last year I've also traded another five or so markets, but I wasn't getting decent sized positions in them so I've removed them.
globalarbtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:03pm   #41
Joined Oct 2015
I only watch /ES and /CL, with 80% of my attention being favored towards /ES. I tried watching bonds, currencies, gold, etc. and it was just too much for me. I chose /ES because of how liquid it is and /CL for the volatility moves.
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:22pm   #42
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakeater View Post
I was just wondering if the majority of traders just focus on one instrument or multiples?
Currently, I'm trading 3 instruments -- a cointegrated triplet of ETFs. I look for a divergence from equilibrium of this portfolio and bet on it's return to equilibrium. It's similar to a Bollinger Band approach or pair trading.
IFeelFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:41pm   #43
Joined Aug 2015
I trade 4, most trades happen on crude oil and nasdaq.
Other 2 instruments i watch are S&P and natural gas, but i trade these not as much as the instruments mentioned above.\
I do use a multiple screen setup, if i would only have 2 screens i would only watch 2 instruments.
I find it very disturbing and not good for my concentration to have to click trough different charts.
RubenDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:18pm   #44
Joined Sep 2015
Just the one - No prizes for guessing which one it is

However I will switch to the S&P and/or DOW if the DAX waits for direction.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:37am   #45
Joined Sep 2010
I just focus on ZW any more than that I will be like a hot potato.
min6485 is offline   Reply With Quote